Thank you bhailog

Kevian

Bhailog,

Thank you very much for all the knowledge and support Gurus on this forum shared with newbies like me. Without your support I wouldn't have a basic HT (really really basic) setup. I appreciate VenkatCR, Suprateep and Skumar for their directed assistance and many others whose posts are a treasure and educational.

Keep Rocking,
Naren

Having said that,I'd like to brief out my humble configuration, costs and pics

Sony Bravia KLV32s400a + Philips DVP5986/98 = Rs. 48000 [Got it last Diwali]

Hathway Cisco Set Top Box (its been there for a long time, just 200 rupees for both Sony and Panasonic in my parents' bedroom)

Onkyo TX-SR606 = 290 USD [Brand New :eek:hyeah:]

PS3 SLiM = 299 USD (no wonder)

Seagate Momentus 500 GB 2.5' HDD for PS3= 80 USD

Logitech Harmony 520 = 49.99 USD (Refurb)

Pair of Definitive Technology Promon 800 Speakers = 129.99 USD each

Speaker Cables & Banana Plugs from Dynex = Approx 15 USD ...(I forgot)

Not much but would like to mention the following too:eek:
My Blu Ray Collection: Dark Knight & Master & Commander
PS3 Games: Assasin's Creed & SOCOM Confontation

When my wallet grows thick and when its over flowing the following will be out of my wish list;)

1) DefTech ProCenter 1000
2) Rel Strata Subwoofer
3) DefTech Mythos Gem XL for fronts
4) DIY Projector after I complete 5.1 setup

<upgrade bug>You can suggest me few if I have money and I don't know what to do</upgrade bug>:lol:

Thanks SKumar....I didn't go for Maxine as Sanghvi brothers near RP road are closed it seems and didn't have the patience to go all the way to ECIL. So, I bought "kundip" made 1000 watts step down transformer. Got it for 1950/-. I guess I am enjoying this small setup.

It blew my head off when I tested Dark Knight BD on PS3 with 1080p/24 resolution. The starting scene literally made my mom run from her bed room to living room:lol:. Poor her thought that some explosion happened. Played Holy Chants on Lord Vishnu & Mahalakshmi (MUSIC CD) by G Ghayathri Devi on DVD Player, the vocals are nice, mids were also good....bass from passive radiators was decent and enuff for now. Assassin's Creed and SOCOM played at 720p though the XMB interface is rocking at 1080p...on a whole..its a nice and satisfactory experience. FM radio through Onkyo+ Promon 800s was nice and pleasant. These small puppy speakers are really loud and no screech at full volume. Probably an audiophile can tell me what these speakers lack. I don't have an audiophile's ears, so pardon me for not being more descriptive and specific in information.

The speaker alignments are not yet perfect. That wall is already full of holes and nails.....I have to get a new rack(I missed this in my wishlist). Suggestions are welcome.

Picasa Web Albums - Shooter - My Home Theatre

106 views and no opinions...no suggestions....:indifferent14:

what exact suggestion are you looking for my friend :)

On a different note, its does not matter whether you have an audiophile ear, if it sounds good to your ear then it perfect, when you hear something better, your ear will till time to change :)

Enjoy the BD quality

Hi,

Congrats on your set up:). Just sit back and enjoy it. I know the feeling;) You always have this nagging thought that you should do something to better it.Don't think too much about the hardware for now.As kumar and ram has rightly put, the icing is to enjoy it. Have a blast!

cheers,
sri

The fronts are positioned a bit too high, suggest that you mount them on either side of the TV as much apart as possible (this will help if you upgrade to a bigger TV in future and also will improve the soundstage). Let them be around ear level for your seating position. For movies (especially hollywood), get a matching center speaker and place it under the TV and that will complete phase-1 of speaker setup. You can then add the rest 2.1. Don't worry about 7.1, but plan for 5.1. A good 5.1 set is much better than a mediocore 7.1 set, given the content available now.

BTW, what happened at the customs check-out?

what exact suggestion are you looking for my friend :)

On a different note, its does not matter whether you have an audiophile ear, if it sounds good to your ear then it perfect, when you hear something better, your ear will till time to change :)

Enjoy the BD quality

Frankly...I am such a newbie noob that I didn't know what to ask...so asked for "opinions and suggestions"...I am sorry buddy...and regarding hearing better sound thing...I am sure that will help me in getting to a mature taste in sound...thank you Ram.

Hi,

Congrats on your set up:). Just sit back and enjoy it. I know the feeling;) You always have this nagging thought that you should do something to better it.Don't think too much about the hardware for now.As kumar and ram has rightly put, the icing is to enjoy it. Have a blast!

cheers,
sri

Thanks Srikar.....I agree with you completely...you got me spot on mate....sometimes this strange thought of winning a lottery and what needs to bought and done bugs me a lot these days.....but I guess it'll settle down as time goes by. :lol:

The fronts are positioned a bit too high, suggest that you mount them on either side of the TV as much apart as possible (this will help if you upgrade to a bigger TV in future and also will improve the soundstage). Let them be around ear level for your seating position. For movies (especially hollywood), get a matching center speaker and place it under the TV and that will complete phase-1 of speaker setup. You can then add the rest 2.1. Don't worry about 7.1, but plan for 5.1. A good 5.1 set is much better than a mediocore 7.1 set, given the content available now.

BTW, what happened at the customs check-out?

SKumar...thank you for explaining the speaker alignment so patiently...I think in 2010 feb I'll get a Deftech centre spkr Pro 1000. I will not go for 7.1 setup as my living room doesn't suit for such a setup.
<Day Dreaming>Probably I'll go for it once I have a dedicated HT Room</Day Dreaming>

I had to go through customs process at Hyderabad and not Mumbai. God is really great....when I picked up my main baggage..it was marked something like RS-19 on both the suitcases....while exiting the customer officer asked me to enter different queue where scanning is done...he asked me whats that whats this..I patiently told they are all that I've acquired over 2 yrs and were old and told him that I've receipts..as I was reaching for my pocket for the receipts..he said its okay....then he pointed me a table where another customs officer was seated to spreadout things I had in my laptop bag...without showing much resistance...I took out my laptop, digicam, hard disk, camera and ipod....that officer told me to pack up and asked me why did you spread out things to which I told I thought I am supposed to do that....he felt so embarrassed and told me to do it only when requested by him. He then asked me how much everything would approx cost...told him between 600 to 800 USD....he told me "Okay write 500 USD on this slip..nono..wait..write 450USD on this slip" to which I obliged and he stamped on it. Asked me to give that slip at the exit terminal...did it..and I was out...frankly speaking I was carrying 1500USD plus worth electronic stuff..hmm short story told long....God is really great...

Hi,

Well you share a common dream with me as for as the lottery goes:licklips:

Yeah! enjoy it without a care in the world. But don't scare your mom too much man!:lol:

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Hi,

Well you share a common dream with me as for as the lottery goes:licklips:

Yeah! enjoy it without a care in the world. But don't scare your mom too much man!:lol:

cheers,
sri

As far as lottery goes..me thinks its banned in India....should try KBC:lol:

And bhayya.....scaring thing has reversed....my dad is enjoying his classical stuff and Mom...don't ask....bloody gemini serials....:mad: I run to the setup and turn down the volume knob..:lol:....I am glad that they are happy and enjoying.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back