That 100$ question again.. Torn between choices for Headphones.. Please help

Yup Santhosh, will wait for the M2 as they seems to be better bet compared to RE2. And actually after giving a 2nd thought I better not spend another 30$ now as I've already been overshooting my budget.
Spiro, thanks for adding more confusion:lol:. I'm loving it.. But that M-audio is priced at 149$ at amazon. Shure price fits the bill right but how does this compared to the ATH-M50? BTW, the next version of Shure i.e. SRH840 is available for 149$ now. How are these (no, I can't buy them now but just wanted to know)?
BTW, got a reply from Alessandro today about the MS1 shipping to India and here's their reply,
You can order on the website Alessandro High-End Products and pay with Paypal. Economy is free shipping via USPS Airmail which can take approx 90+ days to arrive, or $15.00 via USPS Priority Mail which is recommended and trackable.
15$ sounds ok to me but worried about the customs. I hope they won't put too much of duties on them. Or I'll probably just wait for someone to come back from US ;-)

EDIT: Just read a comparative review at headphonia and they are rating the M50 as a much better bet than the Shure 840..

Last edited:
Well, at last made up my mind and ordered the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Why I decided, well could not ignored so many good reviews about this can and also the fact that this probably will compliment the AD700 at the lower freq. Probably also the fact that I was so happy with my previous Audio-Technica I was biased towards this can ;-).. Now waiting impatiently for them to land at my place once my friend is back from US.

And let me thank to all of HFVian's who have chipped in with their valuable inputs. Without you guys I would've been shooting in the dark.. Thanks a ton..

Thanks Kapil.
Well, I got them from a Amazon seller called NovaMusik. Price is 112$. They've free shipping to anyplace in US although I';ve used the expedited shipping (11.85$)..
At 50-60$ range I'm not very sure but keep a tab on the Senn 555 which I think was available for 75$ for someday thru some deal. iAudio has informed me about it but now it's increased.
Will let you know if I see something worthwhile under 50-60$..
BTW, I bought Koss PortraPro also which are just 30$. So you may also do one thing that go for something around 80-90$ headphone (you'll be able to find plenty in that range, like Grado SR60i, Audio-Technica AD700, Shure SRH440 etc.) and a Koss PortaPro. So both will cost you around 110-120$. I've ready some good reviews about these cheap but good phones, so you might also give it a try.

Last edited:
@konfused,congrats.the M50's are excellent closed headphones,and at the price available,incredible :).do post ur impressions when u get them.cheers

Thanks rallynut. Will surely put down my impressions once I get them.

Now even thinking about getting a mp3 player like Sansa. BTW, what is the difference between Sansa Clip, Clip+ and Fuze? Anyone have tested all these 3 and found any difference in terms of Audio Quality and file format support? I guess all of them has expandable memory slots and radio?
And how does Sansa compared to Cowon in terms of Audio Quality?? Should I just wait and gather some funds and get Cowon instead of Sansa? Price difference is huge between them (Comparing J3 16GB price (200$) and Sansa Fuze 8GB(70$) price)

Fuze has been discontinued by Sansa : Sandisk Discontinues Fuze - MP3 Player News - abi>>forums

Clip+ is Sansa Clip with expansion slot, folder browsing and non-removable (but breakable) Clip. I own Clip+ and Fuze and honestly could not tell too much difference. The difference between Sansas and Cowons - Sansa suck when EQ-ed (unless Rockboxed), Cowon sucks without EQ-ing. Cowon usually have higher battery life, S9 & J3 support gapless (Clip+ has a small delay even though it claims gapless) and higher output power. It can be said that Clip+ is neutral and Cowon is slightly warmer. I guess that's the max my rusted iron ears could detect.

So you mean to say that audio quality wise actually there is not much difference between this two players? I don't mind keeping the EQ at flat (that's what I kept my iPod (5th gen classic) at, any kind of EQ the sound just unbearable but with flat it's just about ok). So if the Sansa rocks without EQ'ing then that's great. Would checkout the option of rockboxing, have no idea what it is exactly though ;-) May be I'll just get a clip+ which is only 56$ at amazon for 8GB and later I can think about J3 or stuffs like that.

I mostly am the plug (IEM in the ear) & forget type. So naturally, I don't find / bother with the differences. But, there must be people who may be able to list you 10 or more differences ;)

I like the extreme small form factor / light-weight of Clip+.

Rockbox is an open source firmware. Even though it's marked "unstable" for Clip+, it works really well. In general, a great and customizable UI (themes and fonts, "Now playing" screens), better format support, EQ - all come with Rockbox.

@spiro,

Just noticed you have crossed 5500 posts. Hope to see you cross 6000 soon :)

Last edited:
Okkkaaay then, update is that ended up ordering a Sansa Clip+ 8GB too. I was too tempted for the Cowon but was able to restrain at the last moment. I'm broke now after spending close to 25k within 4-5 days without even planning anything. I'm seriously worried.:sos:

Following are the thoughts that came to my mind :eek:
I think I need to take a oath to not give in to temptation any more, atleast for this year.
Should also restrain myself from visiting HFV, Amazon and eBay for next 5-6 months. :p
No more gadgets however tempting it might be. I think I should go on a long trip where there is no internet access at all.
Better get that finance/home minister :argue:that my parents r talking about to control me before I broke the whole account.;)

Good! They seem exactly like...... what I had a few months ago :p : Never buy another IEM / headphone for the next 2 years, Do not visit Head-fi, Don't browse Audio zone in TE, Don't get tempted. That resulted in .................. buying 3 IEMs in the last 2 months. So, yeah! best of luck with your "resolution" ;)

With the speaker world, at least the cost of doing an upgrade (sell something & buy) makes me pause on most things. But, IEMs / PMPs require only a small space to store, cost less = No restraint. But, if you are careful in choosing, you'll hit that glass ceiling (beyond which upgrades are smaller and much costlier) pretty soon - like the Doc.

Following are the thoughts that came to my mind :eek:
I think I need to take a oath to not give in to temptation any more, atleast for this year......
......Better get that finance/home minister :argue:that my parents r talking about to control me before I broke the whole account.;)
You lucky bloke, you don't have a home minister yet. I envy you. Enjoy it while it lasts. As for your resolution, it does sound familiar cos those words are mine. Like esantosh has said, Resolutions don't work, they will be broken soon:)

@konfused,congrats on the new purchase,and must say u showed great restraint in not going for the cowon :).isnt that in itself proof that ur "managing" ur finances :p??the sansa is good source from all accounts.as for resolutions,..."whats a man without his vices?!" :rolleyes:.

@esanthosh,yessir,i seem to have hit that "glass ceiling/point of diminishing returns" with my first proper IEM,and how :licklips:!!!not to worry,there will be more,can assure u.heh

@all,the best part of this "portable" world is the relatively less amount of money that goes into it.my travel setup alone at approx 20k will have most big/sweet sounding setups run for cover :indifferent14:.SONICS wise :eek:.see the difference when u take the room out of the equation??!!!

that said,a proper 2ch setup will ALWAYS have its place in my "audio hobbyist/purist" heart's list of desires.cheers

Last edited:
I knew I'll get these responses, we are all the same boat brothers.. As Santhosh(santhol2) said I'm enjoying last few days of freedom probably. Kind of making it sure that I won't repent later that why I didn't get this or that when I had freedom. Actually I used to tell my friends that I'll get married only when my HT setup is complete cause I know what's gonna happen after :)
Well, resolutions are meant to be broken and here I'm at HFV again :p And I almost forgotten that I need to get that IEM from Lynx (M2). But seriously I think with this setup I would be more than happy for at least half a year. But still, it's difficult for a man to resist temptations.

Good choice with the M50 - I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Personally, I've been very happy with the headphone out of my iPhone 3GS - I also have a Nuforce uDac but hardly notice the difference. How much are you looking to spend on a player? If I were in the market today, I'd opt for the latest iPod touch ;)

Thanks Sohel.
Well, bought a Sansa Clip+. I already have a iPod but thought I would try the Sansa after reading so many rave reviews and the price was also not very high. Would love to get a iPod Touch but that'll be more of a movie/game/mp3 kind of device.

Sure , I'll. But it'll take some time as my friend will be returning next week only and after that I'm going home. I'll see if I can carry all the headphones with me or not ;)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back