That 100$ question again.. Torn between choices for Headphones.. Please help

kaushik, Congrats! So you finally have it. So that ends the 100$ question eh! Waiting to hear your take on your new head fi acqusitions.

Did you mean the first of the 100$ questions? :p

Kaushik! Congrats! Enjoy all the new acquisitions ... until upgraditis hits ;)

kaushik, Congrats! So you finally have it. So that ends the 100$ question eh! Waiting to hear your take on your new head fi acqusitions.

iaudio 100$ question is answered in 1/3 cost for now ..
HD681 has been delivered !

i prefer to explore a little unusual audio gear ,obvious Grado /AKG/bayer.. etc have good products at a cost .But the well reviewed HD681 does its job well,deep lows ,good mids ,smooth highs and sound stage is good.;)

A diy cmoy is in pipeline ..OPAMP selected TLE2142,will be powered from rechargeable 9V battery,i will use discrete rail splitter.A backelite casing with wooden veneer on front.Instead of odd looking vol knob the knob will embed to the case.
Plan is to add docking charger facilty.No need to open the amp and battery removal for charging.

Last edited:
Thanks iAudio and Santhosh.. Well yeah, as of now, for may be some months I won't be looking for any upgrade in this setup. That 100$ question is solved for time being. But problem is that other 100$ questions will pop out soon. ;) Tomorrow is gonna be a music listening day with M50, will through in some movies too. Let see how it behaves (and hope that I won't have a headache tomorrow).

@Kaushik, don't tempt me for new things man, I'm very easily tempted to try out new stuff.;)

Initial observation, M50 is sounding kind of similar to AD700. Slightly better in vocals is what I felt. But I was mostly listening to hear the difference in Low Frequency response. But somehow I'm not seeing any difference in low freq output. Bass is something I'm still missing. As experts says might be it needs that break in to sound better.
And the surprise of the day is that the Koss is slamming well for the low frequency. Pretty well than these big brothers. But this might be because it needs lesser power to drive it. I don't know.
Used Denon 1910 in pure audio mode as the amp, Pioneer 600AV DVD player as music source (Ok, I don;t have a CD player yet and don't have plans to get one as of now). Played Iktara of Wake Up Sid, I know this is not a bass heavy kind of song. but this is the kind of song I like to listen to. And the end there are drum beats which kind of sounded well defined in the Koss but not so in the M50. I'm surprised. May be my noob ears are not hearing it properly. Will be listening to some more songs tomorrow. Metallica and U2 on the line to play for me ;) Gotta go to sleep now. Good night fellas..

As requested ... there are better images online , cell phone camera not doing great job here
hp1p.jpg

hd6813.jpg

^^ Oh yeah, well last weekend got really busy as I had to do some shopping for my home trip. Yesterday could find some time and listen to the Brainwavz M2 for sometime. But only thing was coming to mind was that loads of bass, may be little too much for my liking. But overall pretty nice and fun sound compared to my other IEMs (ER6i, PL-30 and Titan).
Didn't had time to listen to the M50 or the PortaPro, I'll be listening to them today. Music albums that in queue for the audition are U2 (With or without you, Pride, A beautiful day ), Dire Straits (Telegraph Road, So far away, Sultans of Swing), Metallica(Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters) and Pink Floyd (Learning to Fly, Time, Wish you were here and Comfortably Numb). I'll also listen to Roja, Pehla Nasha, Mungaru Male, Boys and some Assamese songs that I love. Let's see how the M50's work out ;). Let me know if anything else i need to listen to. These kind of sums up my listening trends.

So you mean to say that audio quality wise actually there is not much difference between this two players? I don't mind keeping the EQ at flat (that's what I kept my iPod (5th gen classic) at, any kind of EQ the sound just unbearable but with flat it's just about ok). So if the Sansa rocks without EQ'ing then that's great. Would checkout the option of rockboxing, have no idea what it is exactly though ;-) May be I'll just get a clip+ which is only 56$ at amazon for 8GB and later I can think about J3 or stuffs like that.

I have used both Clip+ and Fuze , Both are almost equal in terms of SQ . Fuze scoring a few points more . Navigation is way too easy on the fuze as click wheel makes its a pleasure to use . U increase teh volume by just rotating the DIAL . where as in fuze u have Plus Minus buttons on the side .

Till 4k budget get a 4gb Fuze and add a 8GB class6 card to it .
And if budget is over 10k , then J3 is a pleasure to use .
Even SQ is said to be better on J3 .

I was willing to buy J3 , but then my recent purchase of RE252 IEM's has made me wait a lil bit more . Now plan is to buy a nice set of CAN's .
Just like ur R&D , i am also finalized on AD700 & M50 .
Looking for a used deal on any of them . Can buy any of them for now , as i plan to have both of them in coming days :lol:

If u or anybody has any plans to sell his AD700 or M50 can contact me through PM , or mail [email protected]

Hey Guys, anyone have tried Sennheiser HD555? what is the sound signature of these phones? One of my cousin wants to buy them and seems to be some good deals on ebay(5.8k). He wants more bass heavy kind of headphone and listen to mostly Hindi and Pop kind of music. He liked the M50 too but he wanted little bit more bass(kids as you know ;-) ) and also M50 not being available in India as of now.

Hey Guys, anyone have tried Sennheiser HD555? what is the sound signature of these phones? One of my cousin wants to buy them and seems to be some good deals on ebay(5.8k). He wants more bass heavy kind of headphone and listen to mostly Hindi and Pop kind of music. He liked the M50 too but he wanted little bit more bass(kids as you know ;-) ) and also M50 not being available in India as of now.

In any case HD555's are not at all better in bass as compared to M50's , its just that the comfort factor on 555's is a bit more . and a wider soundstage .

If kids , demanding more of bass , then let them stick to M50's only .
HD555 will disappoint u for sure !

I think Hydra has the 555. He had written his impressions some time back.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back