The Audio Source Shootout

Lots of people are looking for budget sources here and I think it is imperative that we have this shootout. Can ANYBODY in Chennai volunteer their home for this. If I had an amp and speakers already I would have, but I don't and my Audioengine 2s i don't think are good enough for shootout purposes.

Even someone with a budget setup of an integrated amp and a pair of decent standmounts?

I can of course offer up my CD63SE for whatever it is worth, and sushanth has offerred his CA DVD99, and we can see what other budget sources we can find to compare.

Hi tropic,
Thanks for reviving the thread.

I can offer my new Wharf 9.2s and my vintage marantz amp for the shootout.But my setup is in my bedroom. This being a rented house its a small 10 by 8 and mostly occupied by the double bed. But the hall is a large one but i dont know how feasible it will be sonically. If someone is offering the place i can log my wharfs and the amp anywhere in chennai.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
There was scheduled shootout with CDp, Oppo 983 is audio department.
What happened?MBR,Venket?

this is the same one, it never happened! i am reviving this thread because srikar pinged me today. Anm is looking for a budget source as well. I myself have already picked up my source, but I still think this shootout would be useful for people. Any other chennai based volunteers? even a basic setup would do, something that's good enough to gauge differences between components.

There was scheduled shootout with CDp, Oppo 983 is audio department.
What happened?MBR,Venket?

psychotropic - I have just stumbled onto this thread. What is the grand idea behind this?

Are you planning to bring all the equipment to one place and then play them one by one? I think that could be problematic for any one home. For a showroom that would be OK, but in homes that may not work as most people would probably not have rooms calibrated for such a major assault of audio equipment:).

I have a HTPC as a source (powered by Xonar D2X soundcard), NAD C372 for amplification and EPOS M12.2 speakers supplemented by the EPOS ELS Sub for bass.

If I may suggest, a more doable idea might be to travel as a group to each of these houses and experience the music - so to speak. Not ideal, yes, but then what else in life is?:)

vortex
can i know more about your source

are you feeding the analogue op of the D2X to the NAD amp?

also do you have a regular pc setup or the fancy one with seperate linear power arrangements for the HDD,SC,MOBO CDROM etc?

also did you follow ALL the CMP / art of building recommendations for bios and windows changes?

Hi vortex,

so you want us to literally take a music journey huh? :lol:

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
vortex
can i know more about your source

are you feeding the analogue op of the D2X to the NAD amp?

also do you have a regular pc setup or the fancy one with seperate linear power arrangements for the HDD,SC,MOBO CDROM etc?

also did you follow ALL the CMP / art of building recommendations for bios and windows changes?

Yes, the sound card's analogue outs go to the NAD inputs. I have an Antec case with 80 PLUS rated power supply.

I followed some of the CMP recommendations - not all. And it has served me really well.

Hey Vortex, I realise that it's probably going to be inconvenient for the person at whose place this is going to happen, but the number of components we're thinking of is pretty small actually, it was supposed to be between a CA DVD99 and the Oppo 980, and then it expanded to include any other budget sources that might be available including a marantz 5001. But no one's offerred up a Marantz 5001 as yet, but yeah, it's not going to be more than 3 sources I suspect.

Just curious from a technical point of view, if a room is reasonably set up, would it not be okay to compare 2 or 3 sources? or would the room's setup necessarily need to be changed for each source?

For a showroom that would be OK, but in homes that may not work as most people would probably not have rooms calibrated for such a major assault of audio equipment:).

Just curious from a technical point of view, if a room is reasonably set up, would it not be okay to compare 2 or 3 sources? or would the room's setup necessarily need to be changed for each source?

Hey we are not comparing the performance of jet engine at stratosphere altitudes are we? Whatever you buy has to sound good easily in most room conditions a buyer may have by chance. Else manufactures will start publishing specs for ideal listening room and furniture to buy - for ex: "Our systems sound best in a 12x14 room with brand X furniture costing $$$ and curtain drapes of brand Y ($$$). Frequency response may vary from published specs if these conditions are not met ... " :D

Cheers

Hey Vortex, I realise that it's probably going to be inconvenient for the person at whose place this is going to happen, but the number of components we're thinking of is pretty small actually, it was supposed to be between a CA DVD99 and the Oppo 980, and then it expanded to include any other budget sources that might be available including a marantz 5001. But no one's offerred up a Marantz 5001 as yet, but yeah, it's not going to be more than 3 sources I suspect.

Well, consider me lazy but that would be too much of plugging, unplugging and wire connecting for me - personally speaking. I do not have banana plugs:).

Plus the piece of furniture upon which I have my equipment will not hold these additional items:)

My apologies to everyone and to Psychotropic in particular. I was using Hathway for Net connection at home for the last 10 odd years. Some 20 days ago they just cut all the cables and said Bye Bye. I then looked around for a good connection and finally got a BSNL. Seems to work well.

Psycho let me offer Raghu's Decibel as a good location. I can bring my Oppo 983, there is a Oppo 981 and you can bring other players. Raghu himself has a few CD players but they are in the 1 lakh region such as the Primare.

raghu has 2 or three amps (Primare, NAD, Arcam) and we can use one of those. There is also a large set of speakers available (EPOS, AE, PSB, Cantons) so that is not an issue.

Only condition will be that all connection and removals will be done by me as I do not want to disturb or destroy any of the expensive equipment that Raghu has.

Let me know how to move forward.

Cheers

This sounds like an utterly brilliant plan, is Raghu fine with this?

I only have my (slightly irrelevant) CD63SE to bring along, but I will. Sushanthace, would you be able to get your DVD99 as planned?

We can probably test them with the NAD amp and some budget speakers, as a budget player most likely to be played through a budget amp and speakers.

My apologies to everyone and to Psychotropic in particular. I was using Hathway for Net connection at home for the last 10 odd years. Some 20 days ago they just cut all the cables and said Bye Bye. I then looked around for a good connection and finally got a BSNL. Seems to work well.

Psycho let me offer Raghu's Decibel as a good location. I can bring my Oppo 983, there is a Oppo 981 and you can bring other players. Raghu himself has a few CD players but they are in the 1 lakh region such as the Primare.

raghu has 2 or three amps (Primare, NAD, Arcam) and we can use one of those. There is also a large set of speakers available (EPOS, AE, PSB, Cantons) so that is not an issue.

Only condition will be that all connection and removals will be done by me as I do not want to disturb or destroy any of the expensive equipment that Raghu has.

Let me know how to move forward.

Cheers

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back