The Best Looking Movies Ever Made

vramak

I have an album called 'The Best Looking Movies Ever Made' on Facebook and I'm sharing it here as it might be useful to people interested in fine art and photography or to those who simply appreciate excellent visuals in movies. And it goes without saying that these movies, if available on blu-ray, are excellent showcases of high-def video.

Do note that by 'best looking movies', I don't mean 'movies with excellent visual effects'. See this as a list of movies which have unique but beautiful visuals which were not only path-breaking at the time of their release but have also stood the test of time and can always be considered great movies based on their visual excellence alone.

Now, on to the list which is in no specific order.

THE BEST LOOKING MOVIES EVER MADE

300b.jpg

The visual style is very,very unique and it was inspired from the artwork of Frank Miller, one of the most influential artists of recent times. The movie itself might not be a classic, though.

2001 : A Space Odyssey

2001q.jpg

Has a super-clean and almost lifeless look but still is very beautiful.

Alaipayuthae

93503730.jpg

One Indian film the visuals of which will stand out even amongst the best in the world. Also, a great showcase of interesting places to visit in India.

34890283.jpg

Most people would say this is THE best looking movie ever. I would not quite agree with that but it certainly deserves a place in this list.

Baraka

barakaq.jpg

Shot with a purpose-built 70mm film camera which lends exceptional quality to the breathtaking images from around the world.

Barry Lyndon

97444133.jpg

Kubrick borrowed a 0.7F lens built for NASA and shot this movie entirely with natural light to recreate the look of old European oil paintings.

Fight Club

32497786.jpg

The movie that pioneered the 'gritty, dirty yet pretty' aesthetic that has been very popular ever since.

Hero

herob.jpg

An excellent specimen of wuxia films. Notice how costumes and environments are colour matched and how composition is always centered. Usually, the opposite of this (contrasting colours and thirds composition) is used in movies.

Sin City

21648911.jpg

The creators wanted to make a film that's truly 'black and white' and not 'some shades of gray'. Like, '300' this movie's look too was inspired from Frank Miller's artwork.

Citizen Kane

35006556.jpg

Like 'Barry Lyndon' is a European oil painting in motion, 'Citizen Kane' is a Norman Rockwell painting in motion. The thing to look for is how everything on screen is in sharp focus thereby allowing multiple scenes and subjects to occupy the same frame.

-

Here are some more places where you can find which movies have excellent visuals. (These resources contain huge lists and are quite a pain to go through.)
Academy Award for Best Cinematography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Film features: The 60 Best-Looking Films Ever | TotalFilm.com

By the way, my list is incomplete, so please give your valuable recommendations.

Thanks. I am a sucker for aesthetic visuals and will make a move towards collecting these.

I also liked "Thin Red Line" personally for many reasons, visuals being one of the reasons.

cheers

I would like to add these films to the list:

The Fall
Home movie by Yann Arthus-Bertrand
The Ghost and Darkness

Thanks, Prakash.

I am waiting for Titanic, that would be a visual treat, with DTS-MA

A suggestion - If it's not too much effort, please image-link a screenshot or two from the movies you recommend.

The Fall

the_fall.jpg

24714_the-fall-4.jpg

Babel

I was totally sold when I saw this movie. The visuals captured the ambience and the mood of every character perfectly - from Morrocan desert to Mexico to busy Tokyo. Wow, emotionally captivating.

babel.jpeg

babel.jpg

Last edited:
Had it been the best looking films on blu ray, it would be even more intetesting. My take:

For amazing action sequences
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Pirates of carribean

For brilliant colors and composition
Wall E
The Incredibles
Up

For stunning visuals
Planet Earth

Last edited:
Flashbacks Of A Fool

The flashbacks are totally retro to the core. Wow man, my friend wished he was born then - no pot though :)

Roxy music - best thing about the movie. Coincidence, I just ordered the OST last Sunday.

dvdflashbacks.jpg

flashbacks-of-a-fool-stills-122.jpg

600full-flashbacks-of-a-fool-screenshot.jpg

fool111at4.png

Moulin Rouge

One of those movies I caught at Regal, Colaba with my friends late night - la nuit - after pints at Cafe Mondegar. One of the best time ever.

moulin+rouge.jpg

Inception

Some eyeball grabbing motion seen in a recent movie.

Inception.jpg

Inception-wallpapers-inception-2010-12396721-1440-900.jpg

Last edited:
am not a movie buff but nice Thread Vramak. Thanks
The dream sequences in 'The Cell'
The Cell (2000) - IMDb
Yup. The Cell is good oscar nominated movie directed by our very own Tarsem Singh. He was a Graphic Designer so stunning visuals are obvious. Story was also creative. Other visually good movies are by Tim Burton.
Regards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eCD5Nuoyi4
The Dream sequence where Jeniffer Lopez enters Psycho Serial killer's mind...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxch1F4Y0Gc&feature=related

Last edited:
The following are in no particular order:

1) Apocalypse now
2) Road To Perdition
3) The last emperor
4) House of flying daggers
5) Hero
6) Se7en

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back