The best netbook / mini laptop under 25k

square_wave

Guys I am looking for a mini laptop/netbook. The requirements.

1- wifi
2-build in dvd rom writer/reader
3-light weight and sleek (very important)
4-decent battery life
5-rugged and reliable
7- ease of use
8- sd card support (transferring images from camera etc..)
9-10 inch screen size

I have not used netbooks/minis much. If there are anythings which I need to look for, do let me know.

Thanks in advance.

square.

Net books do not have a built in DVD ROM. That is why they are light and sleek. They come in 10" size and start around Rs.15,000. You could look at Acer Samsung etc. You could go for an external USB DVD ROM.

However if you want a built in DVD ROM/writer then you have to go for a laptop. The screen size is usually 15" and they are heavier than the netbooks. The prices for Acer, Samsung etc. start around Rs.25,000.

P.N.Reddy

I am using a HP 210 Mini Netbook and like it very much for its size and weigh. I have purchased an external Transcend DVD Writer for it and use it when required.
Got the HP for Rs 17000/- and the DVD Writer for Rs 3200/-

I am using MSi X340 13' notebook. INR 18990/-

It is very slim and light (1.3 Kg with 4 cell battery).
comes with all kinds of ports (USB, card reader, VGA and HDMI).
320 GB HDD and 2 GB RAM with Win7 home edition.

Doesn't have inbuilt CD drive. I use LG USB DVD drive.

I would say get a dell mini 10 (1012) from the dell website + 3 year complete care program. Comes to 26k for the top end sku. Add a prtable dvd writes for 2.5k and you are set to go. its lightweight lasts for 8-10 hours and yest I ordered mine yesterday. Got fantastic reviews and is a looker.

You can order the cheapest sku for 15000+3 year complete care prgram ~20-21k.

PS; Always go for the complete care program with Dell - say you got kids and they spilll water on the machine or break the screen, Dell is going to replace it free of cost. I do not know of HP or Sony or MSI providing such service in India.

dell got mini laptops as per ur requirement.. check em out man size 11in and 13in..

inpiron mini is for 15k+shipping and external dvd writer close to 2.5-3k

Last edited:
I've been using an Intel processor netbook for a time long enough to safely & very confidently say that netbooks have definitely been very intelligently & thoughtfully designed to cater to a specific category of needs. For college goers & for most of the business guys, the netbook is a definite boon to have. Browsing around on the internet, handling documents & e-mails etc. are easily handled by the Intel netbooks. And the light weight of it makes the whole thing even better.

You can check out the HP 210 Mini..it's an atom based netbook..so you won't have any probs regarding the processor..should cost you around 17-18k.

HP dm1z

End of discussion

Yup. I second that. I use the version with the 5400rpm HDD. I got it for much less than the regular price because of an offer too! It is a very capable machine.

Edit: Looks like this is a "resurrected" thread.

Looks like this is a "resurrected" thread.
Yeah, the OP seems to have abandoned the thread but came in handy for me. After my laptop crashed, I'm looking for a solution but am unable to decide which way to go; though the portable convenience of notebooks is enticing, now that my kids are vying with me in using the computer albeit for different reasons, I'm more inclined to go in for a PC more so because, it can be also double up as a source for music and movies.

Last edited:
HP dm1z

End of discussion

Bingo! :thumbsup:

OTOH, why not consider a tablet + keyboard combo? Personally I would go for a tablet over net book anyday (because of build quality of netbooks) -- unless it is for something a tablet can't do.

As you know, there are some nice ones from Samsung and Asus. Asus Transformer Prime can run Ubuntu, plus you get 3G connectivity and other bling.

Among netbooks Asus, Toshiba and Sony are best ones. I have a upgraded Vaio W series which is running 24x7 for the last 2 years (except when there is no electricity!).

ASUS has stylish 10.1 netbooks and are real VFM
There are models pre-loaded with Win7 starter or only DOS.
Price would be within 13K - 15K.

I am using ASUS R051PX Atom N570 1.66GHz Dual core based and happy with it.

-Sunil

The dm1z and its variants are an almost perfect package. It balances portability, capability and battery backup excellently. It is also built very well.

The dm1 series sits in between the typical Netbook category and the entry-level laptop category. They are far more capable than the typical Netbooks, but they keep the small form factor (11.6") and give Netbook-like battery backup (I typically get almost 9 hours of browsing time on a single charge). It also has all the required connectivity options (3 USB ports, HDMI-out, VGA-out, RJ45, Wifi (B/G/N), Bluetooth, integrated Webcam & Mic), a big multi-touch trackpad, a very good keyboard, excellent screen resolution for the size (1366x768) and so on. It is only about 1.6/1.7kg which is very handy.

The dm1z runs on the AMD E350 Fusion platform (with very good integrated graphics), which is very popular with the HTPC crowd here. I use the same platform for my Music PC.

The current dm1z runs the E450 platform which is a bit better, especially in terms of battery backup. I think it gets 11-12 hours on a full charge.

The dm1 was about 24-25K on the street when I bought it in August 2011. The regular dm1z has a 7200rpm HDD. Mine is 5400rpm. I got a crazy deal and ended up paying 18.8K for it, even though I got a 2GB RAM upgrade (to 4GB total). For that money this thing rocks! :)

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back