The Chennai Ripper - You Have Been Warned

I never wanted to post this as I understand that it may be somebody's bread and butter but today when I'm finding out there are others who have faced a similar harrowing experience. So today I'm sharing my experience with other music lovers so it may deter them to deal with him.

I struck a deal with Prakasam and I received a dead on arrival Arcam amp 100w in exchange for my Sugden A21 amp. Later when I asked him to return my amp, he said that he likes it very much and took 1 month to refund my money after numerous phone calls. I had to litreally call a renowned person to mediate the refund. The whole experience was so horrifying that in midst of the numerous visits to the courier company, I had a small car accident.

You exchanged your beloved sugden for a 100 watt Arcam amp with this con artist ??????? No wonder he liked the amp so much !!! Very rarely he sees amplifiers which actually represent the label stuck on the case :eek:

Just pulling your leg Helium ;);)

Just wanted to add, Malvai, next time you have a Krell for sale, pm me first :)

Also, long time back, I also bought an AVR (Yam 2600) from him, it arrived with a dented corner and a broken remote. He replaced the remote, but I had to live with the dented corner.

Pedantic Aside...

Jack, the original "ripper," was a serial killer of women in late-19th-century London. The media called another such serial killer, in more recent times, "the Yorkshire ripper." It's a bit more serious form of "ripping" than ripping people off for bad hifi.

Pedantry over! :eek:

Whatever we call it, what counts is that this sort of publicity means fewer victims. I guess this guy knows how to tempt people --- and how to disappoint them. I hope Google knows about this thread and that he looses his business.

@OP, post his mobile number so that all of us will store the number in our mobiles as "Ripper". In future, even if we forget about this issue and respond to an advt & dial the number or receive a call from him, we would remember him and deal with him accordingly.

I think he will get a new mobile but it won't hurt to have old one on our cell phones.

Mosst of these guys do not change their numbers that easily because that number is known to so many of their contacts in the network that he cannot afford to lose.

The funny thing is that the guy at least knows what brands would sell... it seems he sources them and passes them on to unsuspecting customers... in retrospect, I feel it would have been better to have sold my amp to a known person, even if I had to wait this long...

that way, someone from our own circles would have benefitted. Not this jerk.

Dev from coimbatore is a very good person in comparison. He is also a member here with the name bass-treble.

I am of the opinion that all guys who are hesitant to open an account here and do not have the balls to discuss the products with the sellers before selling them are all scounderals around to make quick bucks by selling junk to vulnerable to-be audiophiles.

^^^
finally heard from the ripper... he now commits to pay the remainder by the 1st week of April.... don't know if he will or won't, but i rally do intend to get the money out. even if it means going down to chennai.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back