The Cleopatra - A new Speaker by First Note - Proudly made in INDIA

Don't Agree, there are enough single driver implementations which perform quite well but they are very few in number I agree. For example the original lowther pm8s in the original solid walnut wood back loaded horn. I have a friend here who owns them and they are simply stellar. He also happens to own a pair of Fostex Fe206e in an Open Baffle designed by Decware which is quite close but falls a bit short of the lowthers. Our own mod Anilva has built a fostex Fe206e in the fostex suggested BLH cabinet which sounds superb and can give the lowthers a run for its money. Why I own a pair of Lyrita harmony ones with 6" fostex drivers which are really good (not superb, but really good) when paired with Lyrita GM70 amps.

The cleopatra is no where near in comparison, its a little tough to compare when you are missing details, sweetness in voice and bass is awol.

The requirement of any listener I believe, correct me if I am wrong, is to be able to listen to the sound of an instrument exactly how it sounded when it was played. Irrespective of whether the listener was evolved or not.

This speaker fails big time.

I don't think Srini mentioned that the audition was with Pink Floyd. In fact no pink floyd tracks were played. There were quite a few tracks played from Sridhar's mac, some tamil music initially, till we got him to play our CDs. Allan Taylor Color to the Moon - The bass guitar was missing in fact, one of sridhar's customers whom we had just met turned and asked us "Isn't there supposed to be a bass track in this song?".

L.Cao 8" chinese drivers. DIYers have had decent experience with the alnico version mounted on a wide open baffle. What I heard at ARN was either a ceramic driver and/or a very bad implementation. If you search on google you should be able to find the FR Graph for these drivers, they are not impressive. In fact the manufacturer suggests a filter network to tame the driver, but Nelson Pass has praised the alnico version of the driver so there must something to it.

Review as I heard the speakers: There was good amount of details missing, midrange was thin and tinny especially male vocals, clearly defined bass (like a bass guitar) was totally missing. The speaker finish and material was really good though.

There was something seriously wrong with the sound. Either the speaker is not designed well or it was not setup properly with matched equipment. All in all it was a flop show.

Rajagopal, will it be suited 'open baffle' design to 4" fostrex? Will it be sound better than the same speaker in 'Transmission Line' box? Please write your experiences. Thank you.

Not with what was dished out. Thank you ;)

Helps to know what you like and don't like.

Don't Agree, ...

The cleopatra is no where near in comparison, its a little tough to compare when you are missing details, sweetness in voice and bass is awol.

Review as I heard the speakers: There was good amount of details missing, midrange was thin and tinny especially male vocals, clearly defined bass (like a bass guitar) was totally missing. The speaker finish and material was really good though.

There was something seriously wrong with the sound. Either the speaker is not designed well or it was not setup properly with matched equipment. All in all it was a flop show.

Point taken. Looks like it's a no go if things were as you say it was.
Whether by setup or design, this will have to explored by the designer.

The requirement of any listener I believe, correct me if I am wrong, is to be able to listen to the sound of an instrument exactly how it sounded when it was played. Irrespective of whether the listener was evolved or not.

In my humble opinion we can try but this is not possible. But it's a topic for another discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to the team!

"Make in India" (mostly!) has got a kickstart.

Magma, I will be keen on hearing them. Sure, everyone knows the limitation of single drivers (frequency range, perhaps dynamic impact), but there are those who are happy to live with the compromise (coherence, life like presence). Audience Loudspeakers have also been widely praised for this.

It is tough enough to sell branded loudspeakers, but for a team to take a chance like this is laudable. Sidvee on his What Hi-fi reporting had also posted about Invention Audio from Hyderabad - another bunch of people who seem to want to assemble good products locally.

The first Chinese products that came out were initially badly put down, but I believe they are getting acceptance world over (though some jingoistic "Made proudly in downtown St.Louis" (which means it spells quality, apparently, does occasionally raise its head).

Hyundai was seen as a cheap car for those who couldn't afford Japanese initially, and through hard work, is one of the more respected car manufacturers. Part of the proof is in the resale value too!

The criticisms may be justified, or not, but I would love to hear a pair for myself in Mumbai. Team "Cleo", hope you can plug on - don't totally ignore the criticisms, but don't take them to heart either!

Remember though (well pointed out Hari Iyer), many people "discovered" Amrut Single Malt after international reviews, I think.

I want to hear them too.

I only wish we HFV and other audio enthusiasts had some listening experience to comment or rebutt or add value what is put out now.

But then again - all is not lost.

If invited and at mutual convenience i would not mind joining a small group for a listening session.

regards

Hi MPW, we don't have to rebut at all - someone may hate karela (bitter gourd) or gulab jamun and someone may love it, but to each his own.

I would like to believe that posters who didn't like it posted views not out of any negative intent, but just to post what they heard and didn't like. May be a bit strongly, even, but that's OK as long as it was not offensive!

I only hope I have the courage to listen to the speaker, not the brand. Look forward for a Mumbai darshan of the speakers.

Hi MPW, we don't have to rebut at all - someone may hate karela (bitter gourd) or gulab jamun and someone may love it, but to each his

Yes sir...chill..:cheers:

Peace be upon us all

Maybe it's the Arnab effect.... " the nation wants to know.."

;)

i am hoping to get the 6 inch version in a month or maybe a bit more
the plinth though will be changed

though the designer has not divulged about the driver

im guessing the driver probably has specs that are custom only for him
much like what ,usher and even accutone do for certain oems

joshua
you heard Bjorns tabaqs at my place
im hoping this will better them in all respects
so i do have high hopes

arj
im sure sridhar will accomodate a visit from you whenever youre free

Last edited:
Magma, are you planning to go the single driver route?:)

Magma, I thought it was a 8 inch version.

Magma, I thought it was a 8 inch version.

16lmm4k.jpg

This 'proto' is a 8" version.
Magma is to get a 6'" version - so I was told.
:)

i am hoping to get the 6 inch version in a month or maybe a bit more
the plinth though will be changed

though the designer has not divulged about the driver

im guessing the driver probably has specs that are custom only for him
much like what ,usher and even accutone do for certain oems

t8mfqs.jpg

The speaker I heard was an 8" version.

I do not know if the 6" version is made - as yet;

t8mfqs.jpg

i just studied the link

Tsao sound FA8 alnico magnetic full-range speakers (Walnut) TQWT floor box - iBuyLa.com

2 pieces cost 2600 $ odd
plus whatever customs charges

plus this speaker is MDF Pre laminate ( non matched )

considering the real teak wood used in the cleo plus the opportunity to hear how it sounds before i put money on the table
i wouldnt consider it unreasonable
(im pretty sure the cabinet design, stuffing and compensation networks and the driver specs are not the same as the ready made )

DIy has its own place
and a manufactured speaker has its own place

"x" driver + "y" tweeter assembled in "Z" box
does not equal to "A" product sold be a manufacturer even though you can actually access the same drivers and tweeters
Im sure everyone would agree to that

Yes
i have asked for a 6 inch version
that is correct
weirdly i like smaller initmate sounding speakers rather than a largish presentation

Looks simply lovely!

One ultra telling line from the review for me was the designer's 'I never measure music by ear'.

If you're smart enough and have had enough experience auditioning and reading up and understanding different brands that alone should tell you what to expect. And what not to expect.

This is not negative commentary. Simply stating that you can use cues like this to get ideas of performance and designer intent and then gauge that impression against an actual listening test.

Regards

Has a price been published for the speakers?
I did not read the review but was told they are approx Rs 2L which is high IMO.
Without getting into details you really have some very alternate options at this price.

I was present in the first "public " audition of the speaker in Kolkata. With me some other forum members including Asit and Vasu was there . We went there to listen the speaker since we were interested to listen a new born baby . It was payed with Line Magnetic 216ia first and then Leben CS 300 amplifier. Both are pretty popular , Leben being an established amp. The Speaker sounded well. The manufacturer told us in the beginning that the speaker has been designed to match with low powered tube amp and also it may not have the kind of bass that some time we look for. Vocals were nice , string instrument were also giving the right kind of harmonics and there was no lack of over all musicality. Yes it might not be speaker with all the virtues ( is their any ? ) but with some music it played through my emotion.

This thread started for a press release. The fact is, the reviewers , one of whom is also an audiophile came to Vasu's show room for auditioning speaker in general for their own . After looking at the speakers and hearing it , they thought of reviewing it . So this press release was by chance.

So I presume they also liked the speaker. That's what I felt about the speaker. Since it is the first model , hope next one will be further improved one and knowing the manufacturer's ability there is no doubt.

Regards

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back