The Dark Side of the Moon: analog & digital comparison (CD, SACD, Vinyl, Tape)

arj

Staff member
Found a great comparison between the different sources of the same music . He is playing a short clip from the track "Money"

NO need to look at this as a Generic comparison between formats and superiority of one over another , but more of how 1 track in 1 album can sound so different across formats ( and by extension the equipment used)
  • Early CD
  • SACD
  • Reissue LP ( Analogue master)
  • Original LP
  • Cassette
  • Master tape
Do pay attention to the details/richness of the sound effects, the tone of the voice as well as the feeling of the drum across the formats. I personally was very very surprised at the cassette tape despite the higher background noise which might give the impression of lower detail.

The original uncompressed files are in the link..although I just used a headphone with the video content

its a 20 min long video but those who prefer reading the Book summary and not the book itself can just go to 18:04 and hear all of it in series

Last edited:
Appreciable exercise. Going just by my ear, I liked the tape version the most (engaging as well as smooth) and the SACD version the least (I don’t like the etched out sound). The LP versions were the easiest on the ear. Somehow I wasn’t enamoured by the master tape - was probably expecting too much.

PS. He should have added the MQA version to cover the range (and burst the bubble?)

The tape version has no weight. Bass seems to be cut. Which is why might be sounding more immediate. I like the original lp and the reel. The rest I don’t care for

Interesting post. Ive been following anadialog on YT for sometime now.
I’ve had the privilege to listen to the original UK pressing of DSOTM , and own the Indian (HMV ) pressing. The bass presence in the original UK LP is to die for, however the Indian pressing is no slouch either.

Hearing it in the original order, I did like the Newer LP as well over and above the master tape and the old LP even though it had slightly lower harmonics and the bass in the older LP is to die for the bass on both the SACD and the CD were very artificial and cut off and the SACD especially harsh all through. The flow was good for the tape but the noise really put me off .

But
Hearing it all over again, Assuming the Master tape is the reference and has it exactly how the musicians wanted it - of course the system/headphone used can change its presentation,I only liked the 2 LPs ...the tape felt dead and insipid

Last edited:
interesting post !!.. keen to hear the outcome
i understand that the orginal japanese LP issue happens to be the best as far as lp is concerned
members can advise on this

The best pressing is by far the original UK pressing. Very closely followed by the 2003 Kevin Gray remaster.
But if you can get hold of the Indian pressing of 1973 that’s also a terrific one. Have heard all three.
Japanese pressings are generally top notch , but there are some mixed opinions on the bass response for this pressing.

for people like me who are tin eared. The criteria for good vinyl pressing is very fundamental. Loud and Clean.

Would suggest member who get chance to listen to 45rpm 12" singles. Most have quite good dynamic range.
regards

Listening to a clip recorded then uploaded then downloaded then played back on a non hifi device (phone or pc) and then listening through a head/earphone and passing judgements on sound quality .... interesting.

Listening to a clip recorded then uploaded then downloaded then played back on a non hifi device (phone or pc) and then listening through a head/earphone and passing judgements on sound quality .... interesting.
That’s why I didn’t pass any comments on this video comparison. :D

Would love to hear on relevant suggestions on how to hear all of this including a master tape and original vinyl costing hundreds of dollars.

Also do elaborate on the upload and download..are you saying there are losses ?

I personally heard it via a Chord Mojo-Senn HD600

The best pressing is by far the original UK pressing. Very closely followed by the 2003 Kevin Gray remaster.
But if you can get hold of the Indian pressing of 1973 that’s also a terrific one. Have heard all three.
Japanese pressings are generally top notch , but there are some mixed opinions on the bass response for this pressing.
Were there Indian pressings for DSOTM ? Did not know Western Vinyl was pressed in India !

Did not know Western Vinyl was pressed in India !
As per my limited knowledge almost all Western vinyls of significant/prominent titles were imported and packed in Indian jackets. Western pop compilation etc. were probably pressed here. I had one test pressing with Indian supervisor's signature on it.
Regards.

Last edited:
Lot of western titles were pressed in India. All the popular ones for sure. DSOTM had an Indian pressing.
Which is cut hot and to my ears at least is almost as good as the UK original pressing. I know this will sound sacrilegious but it’s a fact. And I’ve heard both in very high end setup.

In fact even the Beatles Blue Album double LP HMV Dum Dum (Kolkata ) pressing sounds absolutely smashing and way , way better than any recent digital remastered reissues.

There should be a dedicated thread on HMV India pressings of western albums and the fantastic quality level they attained in the seventies.

I have not heard the DSOTM Indian pressing. So have no opinion. I have a German first press which I find as good as a UK press. The German press is quieter too. I don’t like the Japanese first press

I don’t like the Japanese first press
This is an area of quite heated debate among enthusiasts. Lots don’t prefer Japanese pressings as the bass response on most hard rock albums are not as tight or as punchy as contemporary UK or US pressings.
But their midrange and high reproductions are top notch , so is their packaging quality. I have limited Japanese pressings but such has been my experience as well.
More experienced FMs can comment.

The Japanese usually tweak the masters sent to them. They equalise it differently to suit their tastes. I don’t like their choice of equalisation. I find it unnatural. But I know of people who like them. I think they sound ok on a small system in a small room. Japanese houses aren’t big. So I guess it must be tailored for them. OTOH, there are a few albums where they used the master sent to them as is. You can figure that out by the info on the dead wax. In these cases I like the Japanese since they play quiet.

I dont have much experience with Japanese LP pressings but had bought a lot of Japanese CD pressings including SHMs. While they initially wow due to their higher resolution ( ?) but over time they sound very "Processed" ! over time I have preferred the US pressings as they sound better. Most of the recordings I have bought are rock and couple of oldies like Carpenters.

Apparently japanese Jazz pressings are better but not much experience. I did buy a Japanese Direct to disc Jazz 45 record while visiting there once. That is something else when it comes to recoding although the music is average :p

Arj, they actually don’t have a higher resolution. They play around with equalisation in the presence region and treble which gives you a sense of heightened details. But the truth is otherwise. On a good system they sound artificial. The acclaimed XRCD pressings are also terrible. Completely goosed up. Even their lp pressings have similar issues but they aren’t as bad their CD pressings. Having said that their first CD pressings of titles between 84-86 is quite good. Also their early jazz and western classical lp pressings are fine. If you can’t afford the original Blue Note first pressings, then King Records and early Toshiba pressings of the Blue Note titles is a decent, affordable option. When I say affordable, it’s still like USD 100:)

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back