• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

The effect of cables - A sane debate

Hari Iyer

I have better experience using tin plated RCA male/ female cables over Gold plated connectors. Now all my RCA terminations are tin plated connectors.

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

rikhav

I had tried Belden 12awg tinned speaker cable but didnt like it.lt was digital sounding little clinical.Bass was good,but soundstage smaller.l heard that cable in 3 different setup and result more or less similar.
Was the cable brand new ?
If yes I feel it should take some hours to properly burn in

jls001

I came across this write-up after I had bought the Belden 8451 but before I started using it:

https://cheaptubeaudio.blogspot.com/2011/12/review-belden-8471.html?m=1

...they look shiny like silver instead of copper color. The best role Tin could be playing is just preventing oxidation of copper.

Does higher conductivity of silver play havoc with sound ? Has anyone compared solid silver IC cables with pure copper, for sound ?
BTW, tin plating does not look shiny like nickel plating. It's a dull grey colour.

Solid silver IC: I have mixed experience with solid silver used as IC. I have tried two different brands of costly ICs that use silver and both sounded very good in my setup. On the other hand a DIYed silver IC that used high purity (99.99%) soft annealed solid strand "floating" in a large teflon tube, terminated in Eichmann Bullets sounded terrible in my setup.

dheerajin

Currently I am using Belden 89182 for doubling the speaker cables , both for High frequency and MId-low frequency connections and results are awesome. I made XLR cable too from this and it is at par at Belden 8402 but lacks in Royal presentation of 8402, may be burn-in is required.
I am impressed by shielding of 89182- the description of wire -
Belden 89182 22/1P Premium Plenum-Rated Duofoil-Shielded FFEP-Insulated FEP-Jacketed Twinaxial Cable. It has a twisted pair of 22awg Teflon (FFEP or Foam Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene)-insulated color-coded stranded (19x34 stranding) tinned copper conductors - twisted with fillers for added durability/flexibility at min. 4 twists/ft - then wrapped in a Duofoil shield (100% coverage aluminum foil/polyester-backed tape/aluminum foil-2 layers of foil) with 22awg stranded tinned copper drain wire, with marker tape, all wrapped in a semi-translucent black Teflon (FEP or Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene) jacket

jls001

To continue the cable doubling story we started some time ago I have been trying on and off a Belden 1172A star quad balanced interconnect cable. Since there are four wires instead of the usual two, it automatically achieves the goal of doubling a link, and it actually sounds very good. Its sound signature is more akin to two other ICs that I like in my setup (Helusound AES DMX and Klotz MC 5000) than my current top IC Belden 8402, the 8402 being a bit richer and brings out harmonics better.

jls001

Braided power cable...what difference it makes...lookes interesting...by the way how did you get it braid and what is the wire ..lot of questions ...since you have only photo
See post # 238 and 240 here. The same wire has been used for this power cable. 3 wires of same colour are used for each pole (live, neutral and ground) to make the conductor (1 sqmm per wire) thicker since one wire is not thick enough to carry mains power.

Why braid? This is a simple 3-wire braid commonly used by the ladies to braid their hairs. I'm not aware if this particular braid has any desirable properties like some other braids like litz braids have. So in my case it is just to keep the nine wires tidy and manageable:)

mpw

A PVC cover will act as a nice insulation shield..

Hari Iyer

Recently my efforts of reducing cable capacitance have given me positive improvement in both top and bottom end. In my quest to further reduce cable capacitance am exploring further.

Btw, have anyone tried using tungsten wire for interconnects? They are also available in gold plated but are a bit pricey.

I have read some articles about tungsten being the only IC material that can give you real holographic sound and give the presence of the performance in your room.

Tungsten is already been used as a filament for bulbs, tubes for component leads and nano electronics interconnects.

Will like to know responses before I purchase the wire.

Hari Iyer

No response to my above post - I think if I do it, I shall be the first person in the forum to do so.

prem

Synergistic Research used to have a Tungsten ic. They have moved back to Silver.

Hari Iyer

Tungsten is a rare earth material. Can it be insane to do it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
SPONSORED ADS