The effect of cables - A sane debate

Hello everyone, need your valuable guidance and suggestions to buy interconnects for my setup which consists of Oppo udp 203 Blu-ray player - Norge concerto 1000 stereo amplifier, pioneer fs52/mission lx2 speakers.

Due to my inherent lack of understanding of all things audio, I was a big skeptic of cables and their effects on sound that one can hear. Until I came across this video.

From my personal experience, it does and it doesn't, depending on the system. I experienced a huge difference when I upgraded to 1. Kimber 12tc speaker cables 2. Kimber interconnects and coaxial cable
. The differences were very evident, even my non audiophile friends could make it out. Some improvements were 1. High frequencies got more refined 2. Boominess in midband was gone.3. Sound got more effortless. However I tried the same speaker cables around 2 years back and then I didn't notice any difference, guess the system at that time was not capable of resolving the differences. Also think I got lucky this time with the cables matching rest of the chain. Not sure it helps but jotting down what I experienced.

Ordered thin 32awg solid silver plated copper wire Teflon dielectric wire for balance preamplifier wiring. Will build interconnects with the rest of the wire which is around 30 meters. Was very difficult to source them. Sourced them from a telecom company who use them for RF frequency wiring.

Although I steer clear of "cable debate" as my pocket doesn't allows me to get into "cables", I do want to share one observation that I recently made and want to know views of fellow FM who are more experienced with them.
I recently got a pre-owned CA DAC Magic Plus, hooked it up to my Crown Amp, which were feeding a pair of Elac DB6.2
When I fed the amp through Balanced XLR (from UGreen), the sound was flat, not the good kind. The top end sparkle was missing, the low end grunt was absent. I mean I do like neutral sounding speakers, which err on the warmer side but this wasn't it. All while listening I kept fiddling with Volume control on the DAC to see if that brings up the bass but sadly it didn't.
On the other hand, when I used the RCA outs (using my homemade interconnects from 14AWG pure copper cables), the sound was much more livelier. It had everything, the bright top end, the punchy bass. The only Con was that when driven hard, the Clip light on the amp would come on while it never did when playing Balanced.
Any comment on my above findings would be highly appreciated.

Although I steer clear of "cable debate" as my pocket doesn't allows me to get into "cables", I do want to share one observation that I recently made and want to know views of fellow FM who are more experienced with them.
I recently got a pre-owned CA DAC Magic Plus, hooked it up to my Crown Amp, which were feeding a pair of Elac DB6.2
When I fed the amp through Balanced XLR (from UGreen), the sound was flat, not the good kind. The top end sparkle was missing, the low end grunt was absent. I mean I do like neutral sounding speakers, which err on the warmer side but this wasn't it. All while listening I kept fiddling with Volume control on the DAC to see if that brings up the bass but sadly it didn't.
Thats something that was reported by Zerofidelity in one of his review on YT about the Crown. I haven't A/B tested it with an RCA cable yet but now that you mention it, worth checking out.
On the other hand, when I used the RCA outs (using my homemade interconnects from 14AWG pure copper cables), the sound was much more livelier. It had everything, the bright top end, the punchy bass. The only Con was that when driven hard, the Clip light on the amp would come on while it never did when playing Balanced.
Any comment on my above findings would be highly appreciated.
Theres something very wrong with that. I have a chord mojo, which has a 3V output by default with headroom for more to be pumped out connected to the Crown XLS1502 through RCA and despite jacking it up beyond 3V on certain occassions, it has never clipped.

On another note, why do you push it beyond 3V? Thats quite high to begin with!

Last edited:
On another note, why do you push it beyond 3V? Thats quite high to begin with!
One word, LOUDNESS!!!
While using XLR inputs, I selected the normal 1.44V sensitivity in the amp. For RCA's I used the .775V setting and the Clip light came on when the volume was cranked up (Bombay Theme), when Violins kicked in during the track after the Cymbal and Flutes, that's when it began clipping. Could be due to low-res of track too and it was a one-off instance in my listening test but as it stood out, I thought it was worth noting and mentioning here.
@DB1989 One query regarding the Crown Amps, the "Link" quater inch female receptacle, does it works with XLRs only or can one link through it even when using RCAs?

One word, LOUDNESS!!!
While using XLR inputs, I selected the normal 1.44V sensitivity in the amp. For RCA's I used the .775V setting and the Clip light came on when the volume was cranked up (Bombay Theme), when Violins kicked in during the track after the Cymbal and Flutes, that's when it began clipping. Could be due to low-res of track too and it was a one-off instance in my listening test but as it stood out, I thought it was worth noting and mentioning here.
@DB1989 One query regarding the Crown Amps, the "Link" quater inch female receptacle, does it works with XLRs only or can one link through it even when using RCAs?
You mean the link out? Sorry, haven’t tried that one so no clue.

You mean the link out? Sorry, haven’t tried that one so no clue.
Yes. I intend to connect my other Crown amp using the same link out. Have already got the Quarter Inch TRS to XLR Male cables. The chain will be fully balanced this way. Read on AVS forum that when using XLR, the RCA is muted so I suppose the 2nd amp will get no signal through Link port if first one is fed input through RCAs. WIll be definitive only when test this out myself.

Yes. I intend to connect my other Crown amp using the same link out. Have already got the Quarter Inch TRS to XLR Male cables. The chain will be fully balanced this way. Read on AVS forum that when using XLR, the RCA is muted so I suppose the 2nd amp will get no signal through Link port if first one is fed input through RCAs. WIll be definitive only when test this out myself.
Keep us posted

I am planning to get a crown. This maybe a silly question but just needed to clarify what kind of RCA cable should I get to connect it to the AVR?
Is it a 2RCA male to 2RCA male or get 2 separate RCA cable which we use for sub?

RCA Cable will do fine. I use RCA cable for Left and right channels and a subwoofer cable for the center channel.

Ran pair of RCAs from DAC to Crown XLS1502. Connected Stereo TRS Quarter inch cable to the Link Out and it's XLR Me end to the XLR input of Crown XLS2502. It works !!!
Be it RCA or XLR, whatever Signal is given to the amp, it passes on through the Link port.
Now will the same Link work with TRS to RCA cable, it probably would.
Thus allows one to use any kind of DAC/Preamp and still be able to connect multiple Crown amps, inclusive of Crossover corrections.

Ran pair of RCAs from DAC to Crown XLS1502. Connected Stereo TRS Quarter inch cable to the Link Out and it's XLR Me end to the XLR input of Crown XLS2502. It works !!!
Be it RCA or XLR, whatever Signal is given to the amp, it passes on through the Link port.
Now will the same Link work with TRS to RCA cable, it probably would.
Thus allows one to use any kind of DAC/Preamp and still be able to connect multiple Crown amps, inclusive of Crossover corrections.
Any palpable benefits to biamping considering a single Crown has insane levels of power to begin with?

M running Bookshelves off of 1502 and Subs through 2502. So not actually biamping. A pointer though, if using RCA to feed the Main driver amp, then even if the other amp is connected via XLR cables the Signal Sensitivity to be selected will be same for both, i.e. .775V else the 2nd amp will sound very muted.

Hello ,
I had a useful discussion on cables with the owner of PSA audio . He guided me to speak to Blue Jean cables for a second opinion .
This is their take - Blue Jean cable's -

BTW - I still remain confused if the cables make a difference and what really do cables make a difference unless something defies laws of physics. In reality I am not blessed with superior listening ability .

Please don't bash as this is just an informed opinion of an Process control Engineer with 30 years of core process control maritime experience . We have not seen objective evidence in terms of gain in electron flow beyond subjective listening experiences that this is better when switched to a expensive cable brand .
We don't have silver conductors in an process control system where the modulation is in mini volts and mil-amps and more precise than listening experiences and far more objective in actual measured results.And the modulation is perfect to a "T " especially considering the distances are over 1 km and lightest error will deliver catastrophic results and loss of millions of dollars and billions in reputation and law suits . In reality I would stick to more of the c/s better theory for the current flow in line with established laws of physics .Better the gauge , better the performance and save your dough $$$ .Everything else is just gimmicks .
Thanks -

Last edited:
I'd imagine, when two-four different devices running on current are connected, there's bound to be an inherent way in which they communicate with each other..to imagine there'd be no difference is quite hard to fathom. There must be a reason why different awg of cables/plugs are used in let's say microwave or AC...

That the difference might be miniscule in your setup and therefore not worth as much is a different topic..but if there's a thing called system synergy, then at best a cable adds nothing and the system reveals itself..

Hello ,
I had a useful discussion on cables with the owner of PSA audio . He guided me to speak to Blue Jean cables for a second opinion .
This is their take - Blue Jean cable's -

BTW - I still remain confused if the cables make a difference and what really do cables make a difference unless something defies laws of physics. In reality I am not blessed with superior listening ability .

Please don't bash as this is just an informed opinion of an Process control Engineer with 30 years of core process control maritime experience . We have not seen objective evidence in terms of gain in electron flow beyond subjective listening experiences that this is better when switched to a expensive cable brand .
We don't have silver conductors in an process control system where the modulation is in mini volts and mil-amps and more precise than listening experiences and far more objective in actual measured results.And the modulation is perfect to a "T " especially considering the distances are over 1 km and lightest error will deliver catastrophic results and loss of millions of dollars and billions in reputation and law suits . In reality I would stick to more of the c/s better theory for the current flow in line with established laws of physics .Better the gauge , better the performance and save your dough $$$ .Everything else is just gimmicks .
Thanks -

Discussions on audio cables and impact of cables on sound can be like that of ingredients and timing in cooking and as many opinions as people
Technically there have been measurement of audio cables and there have been differences measured although how relevant those changes are for sound is subjective depending on hearing capabilities of the person..just like some folks can tell how much of each spice is present in a dish while most can only talk about salt or chilli :)

Re: Mega IC Shootout

In the interest of this post, please find links of good cables that can be purchased locally. I am replacing my earlier cables and will be using the 'Flacon super high conductivity' 22 AWG digital audio cables (its written on the cable) now for all my IC. I have purchased the gold plated RC male connectors from 'Spectra Electronics', Lamington Road, Mumbai around a year back and was using over the shelf cables till yesterday.

Audio Cables - Audio Video Cables, Microphone Cables and Speaker Cables Manufacturer & Exporter from New Delhi, India

Co-Axial Cables - Audio-Video Coaxial Cables, Rg-11 Coaxial Cable, Rg-59 FPE Pure Copper Coaxial Cable and RG-58 Coaxial Cable Manufacturer & Exporter from New Delhi, India

for other cable requirements you can browse the site.

The one i am using is DATA-017 in this link http://www.wireandcableindia.com/special-audio-video-cable.html

Cheers,
I agree with you on stuff from spectra cables. They do have some good stuff. I have used their products for years. Excellent connectors too. Their power cable is very good and so is their ofc interconnect(flattish/oval in dimension with excellent shielding.

Regards

Back