The effect of cables - A sane debate

All connectors have different sound charecters.Different make sound different.Simple,gold plated sound differently.

Here are the images of my cables and wires activity

Attachments

• 1535020465041-1854885420.jpg
    1535020465041-1854885420.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 1535020502068-47039068.jpg
    1535020502068-47039068.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 1535020519234178219791.jpg
    1535020519234178219791.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 1535020561116-580457593.jpg
    1535020561116-580457593.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 41
Spent an hour with the splitter connected to two interconnects, a DIY pure silver and MPS Audio Reference cable.

twin connect.jpg

Then listened with only the silver cable with the splitter still at the ends for consistency.

I had also tested by using baluns, which essentially meant single ended connections with thicker cables.

Songs used
1. Tamil song Narumugaye
2. Radha Kaise Na Jale from Lagaan
3. Pink Panther Theme from IASCA CD
4. I will find you there - Michael Ruff
5. Zero bit track for noise evaluation
6. Ascent - Don Dorsey for dynamics
7. Grandmas hands - Livington Taylor

The essential difference I found is that for the success of this double interconnect, single ended RCA connections do not work.
Though I do not have a scientific explanation, the single ended connection only degraded the sound in my experience.

The double ended with splitter was a different beast.

The stage depth and width widen, but is inconsistent through the track. I tested the same song multiple times and there was inconsistency in stage depth and width and instrument locations.

Some had mentioned that there is an increase in SPL as compared to single cable. Though I did not hear it in my setup and I also did SPL measurements with pink noise and there was no change in gain.
However what I heard was more details at lower volumes with double interconnects, but again the caveat was inconsistency.

I preferred the midrange purity in the single interconnect than the double.
There is an unheard but more felt echo throughout which was more evident in 'zero bit track'.

In 'Grandmas Hands' the finger snaps had better clarity and realism with the single interconnect but sounded more layered and further away in the double configuration.
Similar was the intro in 'Radha Kaise na Jale' where the highs were clean without any reverb with the single configuration and wider but a weebit echoey in the double configuration.

Though I don't have that much theoretical understanding, what I think is happening is with the audio signal moving from source along two different tracks and merging at the end from the individual terminations of each interconnect.
Essentially a thicker cable for low level signal is not usually warranted, but here I think it has got to do with the pulse and phase of the two signals moving over individually shielded cables.

I do have three pairs of different lengths of Blue Jeans LC-1, but they are on loan to a friend.
Will test that out too which I think will give the most optimum comparison between using a single interconnect and doubling it.
Now I wonder what will be the impact of tripling it?

It is all ultimately in a way pseudoscience and the best way to appreciate is to test and share the experience and go with what suits ones ears.

By the way, I am also a big fan of Ambiophonics.

Happy listening guys.

That could be a decay. As far as I remember there was no reverb in the recording in the initial part

That could be a decay
Maybe it is decay, but sounds cleaner with a single interconnect that using two in the experiment
That could be a decay. As far as I remember there was no reverb in the recording in the initial part

Yes sir, there is no reverb or echo. I have the wav rip of the album from the master as well.
I only meant that when doubling the interconnect, there was some kind of echo in the intro. It is more evident as at the start the highs begin at the right center.

With the normal single interconnect wiring, it is clean.

When I meant master, I meant the original master from Rahman studio

Pl don’t address me as sir:)Prem is fine

Last edited:
For those interested in some accurate testing, may use the following images for evaluation

i have short cuts from the tracks which I can share with interested FMs.

pink panther.jpg

camarillo - stage.jpg

i will find you - imaging.jpg

star wars - spectral balance.jpg

Imo, it's could be nice if you are able to measure the cable capacitance of the single and multiple conductors after you join them. If the total capacitance is high then it could impact negatively and would rolloff highs earlier. This could give you a psuedo impression of reduced harshness.

Also the RCA (MX) should be tightly secured to reduce reflections else the benefits could get lost
Improved details, openess, transparency, instrument placement in the sound stage evenly should be things to noticed if done well.

I have now reduced cable length from previously one meter to as much required to reduce cable capacitance from 95 pF to 33pF. Testing is pending.

Last edited:
Imo, it's could be nice if you are able to measure the cable capacitance of the single and multiple conductors after you join them. If the total capacitance is high then it could impact negatively and would rolloff highs earlier. This could give you a psuedo impression of reduced harshness.

Also the RCA (MX) should be tightly secured to reduce reflections else the benefits could get lost
Improved details, openess, transparency, instrument placement in the sound stage evenly should be things to noticed if done well.

I have now reduced cable length from previously one meter to as much required to reduce cable capacitance from 95 pF to 33pF. Testing is pending.

I'm not sure I'm measuring it right but on single run of the same cable (but different RCA plugs - Neutrik Profi) it was about 118-120 pF for 1m.

After combining two runs (different RCA plugs - REAN) I measure 470 pF. I would expect 240-260 pF at most.

Anyway, I'm hearing now as I type.

The cable is Helusound AES DMX cable. I know it's a digital cable but I really like how it sounds when used as analog IC and equipment internal wiring. This is my second most favourite IC.

The cable is Helusound AES DMX cable. I know it's a digital cable but I really like how it sounds when used as analog IC and equipment internal wiring. This is my second most favourite IC.
75ohm low capacitance coax/composite cables make for excellent audio interconnects. I have used them in the past.
I still have two pairs of very high quality RGB cables (5-meter each) that I used for almost two years in my car. Excellent noise rejection and almost no loss in signal over the long run

I use Belden 1855A coax from tonearm to phono preamp because of it's very low capacitance (just 16.3 pF/ft) but this coax doesn't sound so great as analog line level IC.

BTW, I'm now using all Belden 8402 from source to buffer, and all Helusound AES DMX from buffer to power amp. Volume knob is 3 notches down.

It's sounding very good to my ears:) I consider this exercise a great "upgrade" for very modest cost.

I'm glad that the objective of initiating this thread is being met. :)
Managed to squeeze in two runs of cable into the barrel of RCA:

Will listen tonight.
I was thinking of the same. Eager to hear of the outcome. BTW, try to reduce the cable length as much as possible to minimise capacitance. Tip: placing the pre and power back-to-back can minimise the cable length drastically. ;)

@Kannan, the degradation is SQ with baluns could be attributed more to the inferior metal than anything else. Why not try the Jls001's method? (of squeezing the two cables into single RCA plug)

@Kannan, the degradation is SQ with baluns could be attributed more to the inferior metal than anything else. Why not try the Jls001's method? (of squeezing the two cables into single RCA plug)

I don't have any good quality bare RCA plugs with me as of now.
Awaiting two pairs of same quality and same length RCA interconnects before experimenting.

Moderator's note

Again the cable debate begins. Some other viewpoints from other forums for all to consider,

Audiophile cables, an interesting question.

Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?

This will be a never ending debate for millenias.............

BTW, 2 weeks ago FM sprivous was at home with a 'Monster cable' costing Rs.1800/- . I really could not make out the difference between that and my Rs.28/- cable sound quality other than the cost.

Kindly note:
This is already a long thread.
My comments are not in continuation to any earlier discussion going on but starts as a reply to the thread heading and in response to the content in post #1.

So short answer to the question on hand:
Do 'High End Cables Matter?
No, Not at all.

But my system does respond positively to better cables.
That could be since the amplifier design is could be at fault.

But my amplifier is of a very trusted brand!
In support I say: Speaker impedance varies up to +400% to -100% from its nominal value. If the amplifier design is unable to cope with such large impedance then of course it will respond to cable impedance variation. But then the amplifier cannot be trusted to deliver power faithfully corresponding to the input signal and input signal only.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back