The effect of cables - A sane debate

Tungsten is a rare earth material. Can it be insane to do it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be able to get a bobbin of tungsten wire from my local electric shop. Will buy and measure wire resistance, capacitance and inductance for 1 meter wire. Soldering tungsten wire can be challenging as they have a very high melting point. Will check if tinned tungsten is available.

Go for Gold.They are best ;).
Spiro, you must be joking? Aren't you?

Btw, imitation jewellery is made by gold plating of tungsten. Both Tungsten and gold have similar densities and other metallic properties.

you must be joking? Aren't you?

Btw, imitation jewellery is made by gold plating of tungsten.
I'm afraid Gold seems to be a better option. According to this pretty good discussion.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/diy-interconnects-review

In the above discussion, OP compares $ 10 pair to 3000$ a pair interconnect cables in an DIY oriented fashion ; trying to replicate the same magic in a DIY interconnect. Very amazing post, busts most of the myths associated with cables in a fairly reliable manner.

I'm afraid Gold seems to be a better option. According to this pretty good discussion.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/diy-interconnects-review

In the above discussion, OP compares $ 10 pair to 3000$ a pair interconnect cables in an DIY oriented fashion ; trying to replicate the same magic in a DIY interconnect. Very amazing post, busts most of the myths associated with cables in a fairly reliable manner.

Nice one..thanks for digging that out and Sharing !

Yes you got it right. I am now-a-days obsessed with cables (mostly interconnects) and has been working on a weird cable geometry. For the hot i am using a single core tinned copper shielded wire and for the cold a 3 core flat tinned copper ribbon flat cable. The shield from the hot is connected to the cold only at one end. This geometry gave me the best of both world - i got the necessary shielding from RF & EMI and also the cable capacitance was only around 45pF. The 3 core flat tinned copper flat cable was lightly twisted along the shield cable along its length so that they are not parallel to each other.

I also experimented with low pass passive RC filter in my pre-amplifier and was happy with the outcome. As cable capacitance cannot be completely avoided, so why not use it to our advantage. If a high capacitance cable > 200pF to 1000pF is directly connected to the pre-amplifier this would affect the frequency response of the system adversely by causing the high frequency to roll-off. Most interconnects commercially available till 10K+ rupees typically have a cable capacitance of 100pF+ which when connected to a pre-amplifier with an input impedance of 100Kohm will cause roll-off of HF around 16KHz. This can be avoided by making the interconnect cable as a passive RC low-pass filter device.

As the cable already has a capacitance of 100pF at its termination, you will need to add a low value resistor typically around 50 ohms on either end of the cable to create this low-pass filter. This will make the total resistance as 100 ohm. This low-pass filter will be an effective tool to block all RF & EMI noise from being picked up by the cable and will roll-off frequency above 15.91MHz. This covers all of the VHF. UHF, FM & microwave frequency range. Only AM frequency range will then need to be blocked by a suitable filter in the pre-amplifier. Filter theory mentions that in the pass-band there is 0dB attenuation of the signal and at the cutoff frequency -3dB attenuation. Over the cutoff frequency there will be a -6dB attenuation / octave. In the above example with a 100 ohm resistor and 100pF cable capacitance the cut-off frequency of 15.91MHz is in the RF /EMI frequency range.

Try not to keep the resistor value more than 100 ohms as this can cause impedance mis-match issues between the source and the pre-amplifier or pre-amplifier / power amplifier.

I have now been using this for around three days in my pre-amplifier to power amplifier interconnect and am already liking this very much. Needless to say, this will be implemented in all my source and amplifier connections shortly.

Disclaimer: If you doubt the above, please do not rip open your IC cables else you could loose resale value. Ideal candidates for experiment will be IC cables that are lying around in the corner which was replaced by you with a more expensive IC cables recently. Dont be surprised if your older IC cable with this implementation out-performs your new IC cable.

Thanks for looking.

Now all my source to preamp and preamp to power amp uses the RC LPF geometry for the ICs. These ICs now work as a LPF at around 8 MHz calculated with the RC values I have now listened for over 3 hrs and already liking them very much. After break-in of around 40+ hours am expecting the highs to be much more smoother.

No disrespect to anyone's views/beliefs/efforts - We invest considerable time and money to get the best sounding cables for the best SQ and that's fine. Such cables are between the binding posts of the amp and the speakers.

So, in this context, shouldn't the wires from the amp's circuit boards to the back of the binding posts and the wire inside the speaker to the driver be of the same EDITED

All materials you mentioned may not sound good sound wise
Just because it's expensive it does not mean it will sound good
It has to be used at the right place and in right proportions

By the way , yes the internal cabling of an amp specially in the signal path does make a difference.
Same for the speaker

So does the cables used externally like interconnects

It's not possible for everyone to change internal cabling of amp and speakers.

This cable debate has been going for ages.
You believe in it , good for you.
If you don't still good for you

Better we don't derail someone's thread

All materials you mentioned may not sound good sound wise
Just because it's expensive it does not mean it will sound good
It has to be used at the right place and in right proportions

By the way , yes the internal cabling of an amp specially in the signal path does make a difference.
Same for the speaker

So does the cables used externally like interconnects

It's not possible for everyone to change internal cabling of amp and speakers.

This cable debate has been going for ages.
You believe in it , good for you.
If you don't still good for you

Better we don't derail someone's thread
Hi, Thanks for your reply. We all interpret and perceive things differently, so OP could also be perceived as a silly / funny question. It was never my intention to derail anything. Some materials I mentioned probably don't even exist. No harm in a little humour. As they say, the Audio Industry is by far the most opinionated industry in the world perhaps next to the Automobile Industry. Thanks, Good day.

Guys while converting awg gauze to mm what should be considered? Mm or mm2(square). I mean are wires measured in mm or mm2?
So while buying 14 awg wire what should be bought? 1.63(mm) or 2.08(mm2)

Sqmm determines current carrying capacity. Of course sqmm is directly derived from diameter/radius. For a 14 gauge cable meant for speaker or power cabling sqmm is the correct measure.

So when we buy 2 mm wire it actually is 4 sq.mm?

Please find out from the shop what they mean by 2 mm. Does it mean the cross sectional area (in which case it should be written as 2 sqmm) or is it the diameter of the wire? As far as I know, wires are described by their cross sectional areas and not the radius or diameter.

I have seen some speaker voice coil wires mentioned in mm like 0.1mm wire used for winding the coil.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back