the great sub dilemma

giddavr

since my dayton sp250 plate amplifier conked out and being unable to find someone to repair it , have been thinking a lot about my course of action.

almost placed an order for the rythmik 12inch kit, but with the exchange rate going southwards, thought of waiting for sometime, and the devil waiting in the sidewings caught hold of me.

so now i am thinking of going the passive sub way, since i already have the Dayton 12inch. RSS315HF-4 speaker, i have decided to go in for a rack amplifier so that i can add one more sub later.

Behringer seems to be one of the most popular and am thinking of buying their nu3000dsp amplifier. googling got me to this 'bajaoo' site selling them at unbeatable prices. so just wanted to know if any one has any knowledge of this 'bajaoo' and also if any fm has experience with the behringers.

since my dayton sp250 plate amplifier conked out and being unable to find someone to repair it , have been thinking a lot about my course of action.

almost placed an order for the rythmik 12inch kit, but with the exchange rate going southwards, thought of waiting for sometime, and the devil waiting in the sidewings caught hold of me.

so now i am thinking of going the passive sub way, since i already have the Dayton 12inch. RSS315HF-4 speaker, i have decided to go in for a rack amplifier so that i can add one more sub later.

Behringer seems to be one of the most popular and am thinking of buying their nu3000dsp amplifier. googling got me to this 'bajaoo' site selling them at unbeatable prices. so just wanted to know if any one has any knowledge of this 'bajaoo' and also if any fm has experience with the behringers.

I have the non dsp version of the amp driving my sub. it works really well. in 4ohms it has been tested to 625w per channel, more than enough for any normal requirement.

the fan is very very very loud though, so if you keep the amp close to you, you will have to do a fan mod (google this).

I have no transaction experience of bajao, and the one time i phoned them to enquire about availability of a mic pre-amp, I got worried by the alarming lack of information that the call centre had. i purchased from amazon uk at a landed cost less than bajao.

I have the non dsp version of the amp driving my sub. it works really well. in 4ohms it has been tested to 625w per channel, more than enough for any normal requirement.

the fan is very very very loud though, so if you keep the amp close to you, you will have to do a fan mod (google this).

I have no transaction experience of bajao, and the one time i phoned them to enquire about availability of a mic pre-amp, I got worried by the alarming lack of information that the call centre had. i purchased from amazon uk at a landed cost less than bajao.

thank u. a great help. do u think the dsp version is worth the almost 45% extra over the non dsp version. what exactly are the advantages of a dsp version when it is used only as a subwoofer amp. in a HT set up exclusively for movies.

bajaoo may have cleaned up their act , because i got a detailed reply to my querry submitted on their site with in 2hrs.

the dilemma is about the price differential. 3000 is listed at 22.4k & 3000dsp at 35.9k. nu60000 is 35.9k & nu6000dsp 45k.

so any info regarding the advantages of a dsp version and whether it is worth spending the extra will be greatly helpful in making my choice.

btw how do u find the performance?

Just bought the Behringer 3000dsp version on amazon.uk for 338pounds which should be something like 31k or so. should get it in a week or less as i ordered priority service

thank u. a great help. do u think the dsp version is worth the almost 45% extra over the non dsp version. what exactly are the advantages of a dsp version when it is used only as a subwoofer amp. in a HT set up exclusively for movies.

bajaoo may have cleaned up their act , because i got a detailed reply to my querry submitted on their site with in 2hrs.

the dilemma is about the price differential. 3000 is listed at 22.4k & 3000dsp at 35.9k. nu60000 is 35.9k & nu6000dsp 45k.

so any info regarding the advantages of a dsp version and whether it is worth spending the extra will be greatly helpful in making my choice.

btw how do u find the performance?

I have BFD which I plan to use, so i purchased a non dsp version. otherwise a DSP is really really helpful.

you will be very happy with the sound.

bitten by the bug, upgraditis, any excuse to upgrade.

i have now ordered the Behringer inuke nu3000dsp with necessary connectors from amazon uk. delivery around 5-6 july.

since i have now 2 channels available for a dual sub setup.. the current Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm (800watts max) will be used as one, once i seal of the previous hole for the failed plate amp in the speaker box.

and for the second sub i just ordered the Dayton Ultimax 12 inch Driver and necessary hardware from partsexpress. luckily i was able to cajole my cousin who went to the usa for a short visit to bring it with him in baggage. so a lucky break and a bargain price. i will be getting it around 15th of july.

wonder how it will work out:yahoo:

hello kapvin
got the behringer nu3000dsp and tried it with onkyo tx-sr504 and dayton 12
inch 4ohm subwoofer. no sound at all. i used rca to ts cable to connect the subout to the behringer. i used 4 pole neutrik speakon connectors but simply was unable to get any sound at all. can u let me know the connections u used, if this is a doa i will have to mail amzon for a replacement but before i do that i want to be sure it is the amp's fault and not my ignorance.
regards

hello kapvin
got the behringer nu3000dsp and tried it with onkyo tx-sr504 and dayton 12
inch 4ohm subwoofer. no sound at all. i used rca to ts cable to connect the subout to the behringer. i used 4 pole neutrik speakon connectors but simply was unable to get any sound at all. can u let me know the connections u used, if this is a doa i will have to mail amzon for a replacement but before i do that i want to be sure it is the amp's fault and not my ignorance.
regards

this is how you trouble shoot.

1. first make sure that the signal from your amp is going to the behringer. my suggestion, while trouble shooting, use a full range signal (i.e a left or right out) and connect it to the behringer. make sure the switches at the back are set to full range and stereo.

2. when you play the music, first make sure the speaker is disconnected. check the DSP and make sure everything is set for passthrough. as you turn up the volume, you should get the led levels on the front flickering. that means the signal is goin okay to the output stages.

3. if this part has been okay. now comes the toughie. you need to explain, clearly in simple english how you wish to connect it. for eg, are you planning to bridge or not. what is the connection topology.

accordingly i can guide you there.

of course if you are stuck at level 1 or 2 then could be a cable issue (likely) or a DOA issue (highly, highly unlikely from what you are describing)

once you have done this and plan to bridge, remember, to keep the rca-xlr connection channel A, set it to bridge in DSP and then then connect the 4 pole neutrik to channel a output.for bridging, 1+ and and 2+ are to be connected to the dayton speaker terminals. there is a diagram on page 17 of the manual to help you identify which of the 4 terminals are which. looks for the rear view for connection clarity.

best wishes and tell me how it goes.

once you have done this and plan to bridge, remember, to keep the rca-xlr connection channel A, set it to bridge in DSP and then then connect the 4 pole neutrik to channel a output.for bridging, 1+ and and 2+ are to be connected to the dayton speaker terminals. there is a diagram on page 17 of the manual to help you identify which of the 4 terminals are which. looks for the rear view for connection clarity.

best wishes and tell me how it goes.
Thank u for the prompt response.
i wanted to use a RCA to TRS cable for connecting from onkyo preout to behringer input, but they were out of stock and as the manual from behringer said that the inputs acceptxlr, trs & ts , i bought a RCA-TS cable. however on going through various forums, mainly thanks to posts by big daddy in bluray.com, i learnt that he too had a similar problem with behringer epx, where the manual wrongly claimed acceptance of inputs from both xlr & trs, but actually only xlr was acceptable. so i think may be this is the problem here too as there are no input lcds lighting up on the front panel at any gain.
so i just ordered a pair of xlr connectors on ebay today and will try again. in the meantime i shall try with a a RCA to TRS cable tomorrow, as trs connectors are easily available here.

Thank u for the prompt response.
i wanted to use a RCA to TRS cable for connecting from onkyo preout to behringer input, but they were out of stock and as the manual from behringer said that the inputs acceptxlr, trs & ts , i bought a RCA-TS cable. however on going through various forums, mainly thanks to posts by big daddy in bluray.com, i learnt that he too had a similar problem with behringer epx, where the manual wrongly claimed acceptance of inputs from both xlr & trs, but actually only xlr was acceptable. so i think may be this is the problem here too as there are no input lcds lighting up on the front panel at any gain.
so i just ordered a pair of xlr connectors on ebay today and will try again. in the meantime i shall try with a a RCA to TRS cable tomorrow, as trs connectors are easily available here.

yup the manual says TS, and effectively if a TRS works, the TS should too by default shorting out the cold and ground. in fact a trs plug becomes a ts plug once you make it unbalanced. you may not have plugged it in fully

suggest you try again with the steps I laid out in my first post (disconnect the speaker); keep it in stereo..

yup the manual says TS, and effectively if a TRS works, the TS should too by default shorting out the cold and ground. in fact a trs plug becomes a ts plug once you make it unbalanced. you may not have plugged it in fully

suggest you try again with the steps I laid out in my first post (disconnect the speaker); keep it in stereo..

how deep does it go? is there any twisting to do as for the speakon connectors

after a lot of online research, i was finally able to confirm that my behringer nu3000dsp is working. this is what i had to do.
1. set the subwoofer gain on my onkyo to its max 15db i think.
2. rca-ts cables do work afterall. but seems like there isnt enough voltage at the onkyo out. so i think i may have to go in for samson s-convert or artcleanbox pro. will decide later after a full test. or may be its time to upgrade the avr? any one in the market for the onkyo sr504!
3. had to increase the gain in the output stage of behringer but not to max.
4. tested the subwoofer in open air, so will have to reinstall it in its box and upgrade the box before final test.
5. will use the behringer in dual mono mode as i intend to use 2 12inch subs,
one the old dayton RSS315HF-4 and the second wil be the new Dayton Audio Ultimax 12inch. 4ohms. unit which i will be getting in the second week of july.

my thanks to kapvin for timely help, saving a lot of heartburn.:lol:

after a lot of online research, i was finally able to confirm that my behringer nu3000dsp is working. this is what i had to do.
1. set the subwoofer gain on my onkyo to its max 15db i think.
2. rca-ts cables do work afterall. but seems like there isnt enough voltage at the onkyo out. so i think i may have to go in for samson s-convert or artcleanbox pro. will decide later after a full test. or may be its time to upgrade the avr? any one in the market for the onkyo sr504!
3. had to increase the gain in the output stage of behringer but not to max.
4. tested the subwoofer in open air, so will have to reinstall it in its box and upgrade the box before final test.
5. will use the behringer in dual mono mode as i intend to use 2 12inch subs,
one the old dayton RSS315HF-4 and the second wil be the new Dayton Audio Ultimax 12inch. 4ohms. unit which i will be getting in the second week of july.

my thanks to kapvin for timely help, saving a lot of heartburn.:lol:

You are welcome.

My suggestion: keep the gain on the inuke at a higher level and reduce the gain on the receiver. You do not want to clip the Pre-amped the onkyo, that will simply be unpleasantly Amplified by the inuke,

Cheers

You are welcome.

My suggestion: keep the gain on the inuke at a higher level and reduce the gain on the receiver. You do not want to clip the Pre-amped the onkyo, that will simply be unpleasantly Amplified by the inuke,

Cheers
just ordered an art cleanbox pro to avoid all those hassles.

thanks once again.

now i have to get going with building those subs.:yahoo:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back