The Ideal Crossover for Home Theatre

Narasimhan_M

Happy Monday Members,

I recently added a HTS12 sub woofer to my system and want to get the thoughts from this forum for the ideal crossover. Here are the lowest frequency level of my speakers.

Floor Standers - 33 hz
Center - 53 hz
Surrounds - 50 hz
Sub - 22hz

I tried various crossover from 100 hz - 60 hz and I am currently on 60hz for quite some time. I feel that when set at 60hz and considering the localization factor, the bass seems more balanced and fuller. Also the receiver does not heat up much.

My questions to the members
  1. Will 60hz be an overload for the speakers given their frequency range ?
  2. Will my receiver loose any headroom due to this ?
Thanks.

1.Will 60hz be an overload for the speakers given their frequency range ?

Looking at the specs, the center may struggle at high levels.

2.Will my receiver loose any headroom due to this ?

The lower the crossover, the more work the receiver has to do to power your mains that are reproducing those frequencies. So, the answer to your question is yes, relative to a higher crossover.

A long time ago, when I had a sub, I kept experimenting with different crossover points for my sub and for my tiny NHT SuperZero monitors used as "satellites", I kept settling at ~76 Hz - 80 Hz for the best balanced sound.
Looking at the frequency response of your S50, you should try between 140 Hz to 160 Hz. Try it and let us know how it goes.

Crossover settings can depend on room frequency response.
I have even enjoyed odd settings like keeping Fronts and surrounds 80hz , Center as 60hz.

Crossover settings can depend on room frequency response.
I have even enjoyed odd settings like keeping Fronts and surrounds 80hz , Center as 60hz.

Absolutely. IMO, the first priority should be to choose a crossover setting that doesn't tax your mains (or your sub for that matter, if it's too high). Once that's done, a measurement of the center + sub is imperative. If you find that the center and sub are "fighting" each other around the crossover region, delaying the sub (by adding distance to physically measured distance in the AVR) is your best bet to get them playing nice.

Absolutely. IMO, the first priority should be to choose a crossover setting that doesn't tax your mains (or your sub for that matter, if it's too high). Once that's done, a measurement of the center + sub is imperative. If you find that the center and sub are "fighting" each other around the crossover region, delaying the sub (by adding distance to physically measured distance in the AVR) is your best bet to get them playing nice.
I second that. Have found this hack useful. By setting the sub distances higher ( adding 2 feet) than the measured distance brought the punchiness in action scenes that i felt was lacking earlier.

Few points to add.
Subwoofer distance is very important like other speakers.More the distance,more the time to delay bass in the room.eg.If distance of sw is compare in between 10 ft to 15ft, 15 ft setting may have more boom.With 10ft setting,sw may sound tight and fast.
Also Low pass filter setting in some avrs can tune bass better.By default marant avr sets 120hz.If crossover is kept 80hz for all speakers,then try changing setting from 80 to250hz in avr.Keeping it 90 or 100 hz give better integration between front and sw.Yes there is possibility that dedicated LEF having 100hz or above in ".5" ch can be missed.But rarely LEF may have that in recording.

I second that. Have found this hack useful. By setting the sub distances higher ( adding 2 feet) than the measured distance brought the punchiness in action scenes that i felt was lacking earlier.
Doing that in treated room or acostically good room will help.But with the room with excess bass ,its opposite.In my case I have to reduce distance especially when Audyssey dynamic is on.

I tried various crossover from 100 hz - 60 hz and I am currently on 60hz for quite some time. I feel that when set at 60hz and considering the localization factor, the bass seems more balanced and fuller. Also the receiver does not heat up much.

Hope you are having a single sub.. What are your room dimensions and where have you placed the sub in the room?..

By setting the sub distances higher ( adding 2 feet) than the measured distance brought the punchiness in action scenes that i felt was lacking earlier.

I personally measure in 1 ft increments. I expect that you resolved phase issues between your center and sub(s) in the 60-80 Hz range. Enjoy!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back