The lack of spare parts and repair personnel for tape decks

Getting proper service of cassette decks is becoming a real problem..........I have a Nakamichi DRAGON and couldn't service it.......B&W in UK does it but it will be very expensive.......
Deba contact user 2chFreak on the forum. He's from Kolkata too and he has apparently knows a really good technician there who can repair NAKs. Do let me know how it goes? Cheers!

Hey guys. I managed to get my hands on a 70's Akai cassette recorder. It works pretty well. Reproduction of the master copy sounds identical. The belts were little loose on the FF side. So brought new belts. I am also compelled to change the heads as they are little bit worn out (still records and plays well). My alps super metal and glass metal heads are giving me thoughts of swapping them with the existing Akai ones :) (confused again)

Hey guys. I managed to get my hands on a 70's Akai cassette recorder. It works pretty well. Reproduction of the master copy sounds identical. The belts were little loose on the FF side. So brought new belts. I am also compelled to change the heads as they are little bit worn out (still records and plays well). My alps super metal and glass metal heads are giving me thoughts of swapping them with the existing Akai ones :) (confused again)
Where did you get the heads?

I think I will swap the record head with glass metal and the playback head with sendust. Also planning to buy a pioneer CT-W503R recorder (unused)

Last edited:
Where did you get the heads?

I bought it from various local shops in the late 90's and was in storage yet. More than a dozen of new heads (That is what confusing me on which one to use to swap the Akai heads). Also got few tape deck mechanisms of various types (collected for diy, some unused)

Did you manage to score any other spares?

Not for NAK:p. Around a dozen of good old cassette tape mechanisms of various brands and types, lots of blank cassettes, Few belts and pinch rollers, roller wheels, fly wheels and few other mechanism spares :)

My hobby is electronics (13yrs), so lots of diy pre-amp, amp boards, Cabinets, speakers etc..

I need drive belts for my philips am 354 and aq 4460/12 both mono cassette recorders. If anybody knows source or can help in getting these belts ?

I need drive belts for my philips am 354 and aq 4460/12 both mono cassette recorders. If anybody knows source or can help in getting these belts ?

Take the broken belt with you to your electronic stores area and enquire in the older shops. You'll get your replacement.

Not for NAK:p. Around a dozen of good old cassette tape mechanisms of various brands and types, lots of blank cassettes, Few belts and pinch rollers, roller wheels, fly wheels and few other mechanism spares :)

My hobby is electronics (13yrs), so lots of diy pre-amp, amp boards, Cabinets, speakers etc..

I know this response dates way back to 2013. I am looking for the belts for my Yamaha Cassette deck. Please let me know if you own them still. I shall PM you if so.

Thanks!

In Bangalore Cassette Deck/Tape Recorder belt kit still available in few shops in SP Road. It comes as kit of 10 - 15 belts in different sizes. Separate kits available for 3mm Flat and 1mm square belts. Price in between Rs. 30 - 80 depends the shop seller mood. I am not finding anywhere 5mm Flat belts used in Nakamichi decks. For those 'turntableneedle.com' is best place with reasonable cost and free shipping.

Last edited:
Thanks Selvin for your inputs.

Unfortunately, there was no belt kit available for my deck at turntableneedle.com

May be, If I'd helped them with the dimensions of my existing belts, they might have suggested the near matches. As I do not have the right tools & skills to remove the mechanism, I could not.

Luckily, I found the ready belt kit on another site, thakker.eu. A touch expensive(incl.shipping cost), but, happy that I eventually found the matching belts for my deck.

Thakker.eu seems to have a wide range of audio accessories & very good customer service team. Super quick dispatch & responses to my queries! :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back