The league of (extra)ordinary gentlemen

Are our standards of logic, science and reason advanced enough to explain any and all natural phenomena - leave alone matters of faith?Having said that I am nowhere close to religious myself. I just dont think we should overestimate our powers of reasoning. How far do we trust intellect when it cant really even begin to explain instinct among other things?

look at it this way thevortex,

human intellect is probably very basic - just enough to ensure that we are at the top of the food chain and can kill other living beings at random.

Not enough, then, to understand the complexities of our existence and that of the universe.

well, then, leave it at that, and do not try to understand or use logic or reason.

the reason for flawed concepts such as god and heaven and hell (reward and punishment) are direct results of using our limited intelligence to explain our existence.

hey vortex, if i may be permitted to make out a distinction.

I believe that our standards of logic and reason have served us exceptionally well across the ages, and if there are undiscovered phenomena in nature, that is simply a function of the immensely complex universe that has come about through (increasingly well documented and) scientifically explicable events.

For example if you take a hypothetical aboriginal tribal from some undiscovered part of the world, immune to the aspects of science and technology that we are privy to and was shown a plasma television, without doubt their instinct would be to attribute the wonderful moving images (and the total lack of motion blur ;)) to some supernatural force.

It is precisely this tendency to consider what is unexplained as inexplicable that leads people to believe in various supernatural explanations for things which they personally are not familiar with the scientific explanation for. I agree that there is much that is unexplained in this universe, but that is not because of of a fault of the scientific or rational approach but of the staggering dimensions and complexity of the universe, and the relatively brief time (as Carl Sagan said, if the history of the universe was considered to be one year, all of human history would occupy the last few minutes of it) that we humans have had, to 'crack the problem.'

Now, on the one hand we have our logic and reason and scientific standards, and on the other hand we have fantastical stories, not distinguishable in any material way from bertrand russell's celestial teapot. While I do agree that one is free to choose one of these two approaches as more appealing, there is only one of these that is intellectually compelling and stands up to any sort of scrutiny, IMHO.

Like I said, if you can ignore his confrontational tone and his missionary zeal, Dawkins provides an excellent explanation why the thought that our "power of reasoning" might be insufficient is a less than sound excuse to accede to the truth of the various celestial teapots.

Stepping into this thread at a late stage, I dont know whether this is for real or just for fun, but here goes:)

Are our standards of logic, science and reason advanced enough to explain any and all natural phenomena - leave alone matters of faith?

Having said that I am nowhere close to religious myself. I just dont think we should overestimate our powers of reasoning. How far do we trust intellect when it cant really even begin to explain instinct among other things?

@ mokhtan,

you quote, and i have noted the thoughts of those people.

what are your own personal views regarding this debate?

The biggest battle Dawkins is fighting is with creationists, who believe that God created all creatures at the same time. Therefore they oppose the teaching of evolution.

Dawkins sets out to prove that this creationist view no longer holds good in the face of abundant proof for the theory of evolution. The rest of his debate about God springs from this point. So the entire debate is about the proof for evolution Vs the claim of creationists.

In any case, each religion has its own creationist theory, so all of them cannot be right in anyway.

His series of books starting from Selfish Gene provide ample arguments to believe in evolution rather than God for all living things.

Lastly, it is true that our intellect has limitations. But scientific approach conquers this limitation gradually. We are certainly more aware than our ancestors many centuries ago. A sceintific conviction that we can conquer polio or small pox is valuable. Certainly more than the belief that polio drops cause impotency (its true that this belief about polio drops exists in India) or small pox is the anger of goddess mariamma.

The beauty of science is its ability to admit what it does not know, and the humility to accept mistakes when evidence is presented to the contrary. Therefore, by definition, it contrasts with belief, especially blind faith. And blind faith is not propogated by religions. It is propogated in the name of religion and thank God there are some Dawkins' around to fight this articulately.

it is quite interesting to note that out of all the issues that Eagleton raises in his essay.. we need to somehow isolate his presumed 'defence' of christianity as the achilles heel of his argument

actually that is only one example of the whole mass of nonsense that Eagleton has written in his 'review.' When I get the time I will compile a list and the necessary responses. And by the way reading more about Eagleton reveals what a bigoted islamophobe he is, and I would not place much credence on anything that he has to say about matters of 'faith'

..and this is i guess where the crux of the matter lies..people like Dawkins are threatened by their idea of what is 'religion'-a cantankerous, and contentious club (much like that of audiophiles) whose members do not seem to agree on the exact nature of the truth and are therefore willing to go to extreme lengths -in plain language they(religionists of course and not harmless purveyors of musical sound) are willing to even kill...

yes, this is precisely the reason why people like dawkins feel it necessary to get so missionary about rationality, because the egregious fiction that is religion is claiming too many minds and lives for it to be overlooked as merely a harmless frivolity. That said I personally don't feel any missionary zeal to lift anyone out of their ignorance and I am quite happy to let people believe whatever they want, so long as it doesn't interfere with my peaceful existence. And yes, arguing about it doesn't amount to missionary zeal

if this matter was something that could be endlessly debated upon...people like Dawkins would have, well endlessly debated ...but the almost missionary zeal with which he (and others of his ilk ..such as Christopher Hitchens)have taken up this issue seems to suggest a heightened sense of urgency..they seem to share the same desperation to save the world as their much derided counterparts on the other side of the theological
fence...

like i said before, while I don't quite understand their missionary zeal, but i guess it does less harm than the missionary zeal emanating from the opposite camp

anyway, to look at the larger picture, the point the Eagleton seems to be making is that Dawkins cannot take his expertise on, say , biology as a license to derisively comment on a worldview that he knows little about..especially since he seems to be 'convinced' that religion, God, etc is anyway 'wrong' in the first place...

this is a standard line wheeled by all manner of 'believers' including those that advocate 'intelligent design'. For this argument to make any sense, religion would have to be anything but a complete fiction. Religion cannot be treated the same as scientific and rational fields of study such as biology or anthropology, however vehemently the theologists may argue otherwise. I know I am going on about it, but show me one material (and intrinsic, not anecdotal) way in which religious beliefs are different from the celestial teapot, and I will agree that this argument has any merit.

Last edited:
Popper for example tells us that science should not be taken as seriously as people think it should ...

fair enough

his problem of induction talks about two kinds of 'scientific' theories :
(i) Falsified theories; those that tests proved to be wrong and hence were rejected (Newtonian physics was falsified by relativity and yet it is taught as 'scientific' at a certain level..and yes in the approximate world that we live in, it works)

okie dokie

(ii)theories that have not been proven wrong as of now but are exposed to be proven wrong..

hmm ok

Popper does not consider astrology to be science, because the practioners of it are 'forever changing the goalposts' ...

bang on, just like the religionists!

on the other hand even the most rock solid of the scientific theories could be open to being proved wrong because of the 'black swan' problem...a million sightings of white swans cannot force us to conclude that all swans are white..though a single black swan could forcefully convince us of the truth that 'not all swans are white'...

ah yes, that old chestnut. I'll see your black swan and raise you a celestial teapot. If on the one hand you've seen only white swans, and i came around and told you that there is a fluoroscent yellow swan with an adolf hitler moustache and a picture of barack obama on its neck (and this swan created the world), would you then consider my word to be 'gospel' and ignore compelling evidence to the contrary and build a shrine to my fluorescent yellow swan with an adolf hitler moustache and a picture of barack obama on its neck?

And if you do bother reading Dawkins, he does tell you that if you examine approaches to theism as a scale of oe to 7 with 7 saying that god cannot possibly exist, then he himself would be a 6. Let's stop defining each other as theists and atheists. That itself is too much of a concession to the religionists. I call myself a rationalist and I am willing to rationally refute any argument about the existence of the supernatural (fluorescent yellow swans included).

And by the way, did Popper himself advance the black swan argument in support of god because otherwise I don't see the connection between what the Popper bits you quoted and the black swan argument for god's existence

i came around and told you that there is a fluoroscent yellow swan with an adolf hitler moustache and a picture of barack obama on its neck (and this swan created the world), would you then consider my word to be 'gospel' and ignore compelling evidence to the contrary and build a shrine to my fluorescent yellow swan with an adolf hitler moustache and a picture of barack obama on its neck?
[/I]

i certainly see the black swan running for cover.

There is an interesting link maintained by Richard Dawkins site - which provides community answers to many theology debate points - RichardDawkins.net

The beauty of science is its ability to admit what it does not know, and the humility to accept mistakes when evidence is presented to the contrary. Therefore, by definition, it contrasts with belief, especially blind faith. And blind faith is not propogated by religions.

Humility in accepting mistakes is a human trait, not one of Science. And scientists throughout history have been shown to be anything but humble and open-minded. I disagree that a 'scientific' person is necessarily open to rational thinking or criticism of this theories. Two cases in point:

1. The A/C vrs D/C war between Edison and Tesla/Westinghouse. Edison went to the extent of electrocuting live animals (horses) to 'prove' how dangerous A/C was and how "his" D/C was superior. And Edison was an experimental scientist, a great one at that. Where did his science leave him, why did it not force him to think 'rationally', carry out comparative experiments with A/C and then humbly accept the good things about A/C as well? Because Edison was also human. Science cannot supersede our basic human tendencies, beyond a point.

2. The Steady-State Universe theory by Hoyle et al., vrs Edwin Hubble's observations of an expanding Universe. Hoyle went all out, even humiliating Hubble in public discourses, to 'prove' that all observations point to a static Universe. Which point of view was proved wrong time and again by observations and empirical data...Data, which is the hallmark of scientific truth. Was Hoyle not a rational, thinking, logical man? Of course he was. He was also...a man.

There are numerous other instances...the mathematician Ramanujan was humilitated by many British mathematicians who could not understand his esoteric way of proving theorems. These were men of the highest intellect, rationality and logic. And they behaved like an illiterate village mob.

Quantum theory is another example of Einstein's mental block to a non-deterministic Universe model. Gravity is "assumed" to exist in the farthest corners of the Universe...that is blind faith (or faith in the continuity of the gravitational field as a function of space and time) , not tested by any experiments, since we haven't reached the farthest corners of the known Universe yet.

The point is, Science/Logic/Rationality by themselves mean nothing. Data, Life, the Universe itself can be interpreted in different ways and has been. Data is not golden... our points of seeing it can and do change over time. And Science is man-made...and is subject to all the limitations and greatness that the human intellect is capable of. So is Religion. The reason Religion is so powerful is because it attempts to gives meaning to our life. Because, if you look at Life from a coldly 'rational' point of view, it is quite meaningless. You are born, live, reproduce, feel and die, on a small little speck of matter among trillions of other lifeless? matter in a great void. Where is the meaning?

Giving purpose to one's life is the purpose of Religion. And I don't mean Religion as idol worship, or blind faith in a human-personified God. I mean finding devotion and spirituality in one's own life, finding one's path and purpose, and seeing beauty and purpose in other living beings as well. That is the hallmark of all good Religions, when they are stripped from the blind rituals, superstitions that have been superimposed over time by lack of knowledge of the people who follow them. Anyone who reads the Gita or any other religious text, stripped from all the supernatural fairytales of demons and myth, will understand what the kernel of the message is. And that is finding and respecting the purpose of one's life.

Sorry for the long post. I just felt a slightly supercilious tone in some of the postings defending Science/Rationalism, at all costs. I am myself a very analytic and scientific person but I am also aware of, and humbly accept, the limitations of Science.

As Vivekananda said aptly (paraphrased by me):
"The West are master ship builders. They make ships of great beauty and strength, which can ride many oceans. But...who is steering this great ship in the right direction? That is where we, the East come in. And a well-guided ship, following it's true path is a sight to behold and wonder about..."

-Ajinkya.

suri...to be honest..my personal view point is one of 'gratitude', whom do I really 'thank' for all the design in the universe.. for the fact that there is a a place and system that i did not personally 'will' into existence but is still out there for me to make sense of and enjoy, and one which is perfectly fine tuned to ensure not just 'my' survival but that of everyone else..(just think about the water cycle..the marvel of photosynthesis...has any man-made system taken such simple, raw materials with an energy source so abundantly available.. to process into some thing that is so useful..while in the meantime releasing a by product-oxygen- so absolutely vital for survival, along with green light which while not being so crucial, does contribute its own aesthetics...)
and since this is an audiophile forum..i marvel at the miracle of sound...take music..we don't need it for survival (there are lots of species who do well without it and are in their own way 'more' successful than we are..at least in terms of the 'food chain' proposition that has been put forward earlier)..but how can one even begin to explain the miracle of vibrations that travel as longitudinal waves in the air and which when they impinge on certain cells in our system convey to us a universe of emotions that force us to be either happy or sad or whatever that can qualify as being a living emotion..
or take the 'sound' that contributes to defining what i really am...language (and the sheer diversity of it)..all this is nothing short of miraculous..the monkeys grunt may be effective as a means of communication and as a tool for survival...but the nuances of sounds..the way i vocalize my emotions, communicate with my loved ones..it takes the sound that i make to a much higher place...(though even the monkey would think no less of its screechings)
i really don't know if we should be such ingrates as to attribute such outcomes to an purposeless accident in the distant past...
by the way if we just limit ourselves to hitchens or dawkins or huxley..we are somehow risking missing the trees for the forest...
but i somehow sense the debate will go on forever..so this will be my last post on the matter, while hoping that people with more substantial sense of humor (which by the way is not necessary for survival either) will put matters into the kind of perspective that will justify the intent of this site...

Popper for example tells us that science should not be taken as seriously as people think it should ...

fair enough

his problem of induction talks about two kinds of 'scientific' theories :
(i) Falsified theories; those that tests proved to be wrong and hence were rejected (Newtonian physics was falsified by relativity and yet it is taught as 'scientific' at a certain level..and yes in the approximate world that we live in, it works)

okie dokie

(ii)theories that have not been proven wrong as of now but are exposed to be proven wrong..

hmm ok

Popper does not consider astrology to be science, because the practioners of it are 'forever changing the goalposts' ...

bang on, just like the religionists!

on the other hand even the most rock solid of the scientific theories could be open to being proved wrong because of the 'black swan' problem...a million sightings of white swans cannot force us to conclude that all swans are white..though a single black swan could forcefully convince us of the truth that 'not all swans are white'...

ah yes, that old chestnut. I'll see your black swan and raise you a celestial teapot. If on the one hand you've seen only white swans, and i came around and told you that there is a fluoroscent yellow swan with an adolf hitler moustache and a picture of barack obama on its neck (and this swan created the world), would you then consider my word to be 'gospel' and ignore compelling evidence to the contrary and build a shrine to my fluorescent yellow swan with an adolf hitler moustache and a picture of barack obama on its neck?

And if you do bother reading Dawkins, he does tell you that if you examine approaches to theism as a scale of oe to 7 with 7 saying that god cannot possibly exist, then he himself would be a 6. Let's stop defining each other as theists and atheists. That itself is too much of a concession to the religionists. I call myself a rationalist and I am willing to rationally refute any argument about the existence of the supernatural (fluorescent yellow swans included).

And by the way, did Popper himself advance the black swan argument in support of god because otherwise I don't see the connection between what the Popper bits you quoted and the black swan argument for god's existence

the popper bits were simply to put matters in perspective..that it is scientific to not put too much stock on science....since by definition science needs to be 'falsifiable' to qualify as science..God on the other hand is a different proposition...

I dont dispute that scientists fight among themselves. But the scientific community chooses the option that is more rational and evidence based. Individual egos hardly matter since the next scientific generaiton makes a choice out of logic, not by voice. Such choice is unavailable to millions of believing followers, because the one who speaks has heard from the God.

Giving purpose to one's life is the purpose of religion. Circular logic isnt it. There doesnt need to be a purpose. And once one imputes a purpose to life, and defines his very own, it does keep going around.

I dont think the argument is against religion, it is against blind faith that chooses and exhorts people to ignore overwhelming factual evidence. The reverse of science. Science exhorts people to ignore overwhelming and popular theory if one small counterexample or contradiction were to emerge.

and why should raising this question be supercilious?

Last edited:
I think religious books contain too many concepts / directives that normal human mind can use them reliably in myriad types of situations...

On the other hand very small % of scientific knowledge touches our lives...rest remain in books ...

choosing what you need make all the difference.. instead of looping with issues that may not have a satisfactory answer :sad:

Humility in accepting mistakes is a human trait, not one of Science. And scientists throughout history have been shown to be anything but humble and open-minded. I disagree that a 'scientific' person is necessarily open to rational thinking or criticism of this theories. Two cases in point:

1. The A/C vrs D/C war between Edison and Tesla/Westinghouse. Edison went to the extent of electrocuting live animals (horses) to 'prove' how dangerous A/C was and how "his" D/C was superior. And Edison was an experimental scientist, a great one at that. Where did his science leave him, why did it not force him to think 'rationally', carry out comparative experiments with A/C and then humbly accept the good things about A/C as well? Because Edison was also human. Science cannot supersede our basic human tendencies, beyond a point.

2. The Steady-State Universe theory by Hoyle et al., vrs Edwin Hubble's observations of an expanding Universe. Hoyle went all out, even humiliating Hubble in public discourses, to 'prove' that all observations point to a static Universe. Which point of view was proved wrong time and again by observations and empirical data...Data, which is the hallmark of scientific truth. Was Hoyle not a rational, thinking, logical man? Of course he was. He was also...a man.

There are numerous other instances...the mathematician Ramanujan was humilitated by many British mathematicians who could not understand his esoteric way of proving theorems. These were men of the highest intellect, rationality and logic. And they behaved like an illiterate village mob.

Quantum theory is another example of Einstein's mental block to a non-deterministic Universe model. Gravity is "assumed" to exist in the farthest corners of the Universe...that is blind faith (or faith in the continuity of the gravitational field as a function of space and time) , not tested by any experiments, since we haven't reached the farthest corners of the known Universe yet.

The point is, Science/Logic/Rationality by themselves mean nothing. Data, Life, the Universe itself can be interpreted in different ways and has been. Data is not golden... our points of seeing it can and do change over time. And Science is man-made...and is subject to all the limitations and greatness that the human intellect is capable of. So is Religion. The reason Religion is so powerful is because it attempts to gives meaning to our life. Because, if you look at Life from a coldly 'rational' point of view, it is quite meaningless. You are born, live, reproduce, feel and die, on a small little speck of matter among trillions of other lifeless? matter in a great void. Where is the meaning?

Giving purpose to one's life is the purpose of Religion. And I don't mean Religion as idol worship, or blind faith in a human-personified God. I mean finding devotion and spirituality in one's own life, finding one's path and purpose, and seeing beauty and purpose in other living beings as well. That is the hallmark of all good Religions, when they are stripped from the blind rituals, superstitions that have been superimposed over time by lack of knowledge of the people who follow them. Anyone who reads the Gita or any other religious text, stripped from all the supernatural fairytales of demons and myth, will understand what the kernel of the message is. And that is finding and respecting the purpose of one's life.

Sorry for the long post. I just felt a slightly supercilious tone in some of the postings defending Science/Rationalism, at all costs. I am myself a very analytic and scientific person but I am also aware of, and humbly accept, the limitations of Science.

"The West are master ship builders. They make ships of great beauty and strength, which can ride many oceans. But...who is steering this great ship in the right direction? That is where we, the East come in. And a well-guided ship, following it's true path is a sight to behold and wonder about..."

-Ajinkya.

Absolutely EXCELLENT post.

Your sense of logic, reasoning and verbiage definitely settled well with me...a very knowledgeable disposition laying fact and opinion for all to admire.

~Gaurav

Absolutely EXCELLENT post.

Your sense of logic, reasoning and verbiage definitely settled well with me...a very knowledgeable disposition laying fact and opinion for all to admire.

~Gaurav

Agree. Fantastic exposition of the scientic thought process as demonstrated by the so called great scientists of the present times.

Ajinkya - you have great hold on the matter and skills in presenting - 2 very phenomenol and superb traits for anyone to have.

hey ajinkya, i know that what i am saying will not go down well with you and the religionists, but there is a malayalam saying that "once you enter the temple pond, you might as well have a bath and come out" so I might as well take this discussion to what i see is a logical conclusion.

Firstly you point out instances of scientists being unscientific and claim that this somehow exposes flaws in the scientific approach. It is not difficult for me or any other rationalist to understand that those instances you cite are of scientists being completely unscientific and petty. But it would take a rather generous leap of the imagination to then conclude that the scientific method was false.

As you yourself said, if Edison had himself conducted scientific experiments with AC instead of trying to achieve a 'purpose' that was pre-decided that would have been the scientific, rational and open-ended approach to take, but like some religionists, Edison chose to start with a conclusion and then design his 'experiments' to satisfy it. That is not scientific. And the fact that some scientists having acted that way does not devalue the scientific method in any manner. That is quite like saying since Chandrayaan - 1 suffered a malfunction, the entire ISRO and their methods are discredited. I am certain you yourself will see the lack of logic in such a proposition.

Secondly you claim science is man made. That really makes no sense. Science is a method, an approach, a search for truth. That approach to finding the truth I agree was man made, but not the events, things and the phenomena that science studies. Religion, yes, is man made. And various men have made it in different forms and manners (and they all happily contradict each other, but still a religionist would rather support another religionist than a rationalist :) ). Religion was made by man at a time when the scientific method was not advanced enough to explain many apparently wondrous things (such as the sun rising). I just don't see how it holds so much relevance in these times when we have far better and demonstrable explanations for these phenomena.

You said: "You are born, live, reproduce, feel and die, on a small little speck of matter among trillions of other lifeless? matter in a great void. Where is the meaning?

Giving purpose to one's life is the purpose of Religion. "

This is precisely the problem. This search for 'meaning' and this is probably why the rationalists and the religionists will never agree. The scientific approach, like Mr. Ramanujam said is about being open to possibilities and doing everything possible to reach the truth. The religious discourse however works in reverse. There is the so-called 'truth', and then there is much effort that is expended on retro-fitting observable phenomena to this hypothesis, in whatever contrived means are available.

I agree with Moktan that rationalists and religionists cannot possibly come to agreement, and what the rationalist says in his defence will appear supercilious to the committed religionist, there's no escaping that. It's a price I am happy to pay in defense of my ideas.

Much like I can't convince someone that a "cable elevator" cannot improve sound if he is already convinced, and the "cable elevator" aficianado cannot convince me that it does improve the sound, this is not a debate on which a mutually acceptable reconciliation can be reached. And no, I don't believe in compromising intellectual honesty to arrive at a wishy-washy compromise that is inoffensive and inaccurate and keeps me popular.

And to respond to Vivekananda's quote, it is the currents and the winds that guide the ships (i presume he is talking about sailing ships, if not it is the steam engines that are guiding them), and this is perfectly explainable by science. Even the people who sailed those ships didn't think those ships were being guided by anything supernatural. I am baffled at what he thought the 'east' was contributing to the winds, the currents, or the steam engine. Let me reiterate I am not disrespecting Vivekananda, just pointing out a rather obvious flaw with his statement.

-Ajinkya.

And no, I don't believe in compromising intellectual honesty to arrive at a wishy-washy compromise that is inoffensive and inaccurate and keeps me popular.

a rationalist, a straight-thinker, will not be popular with the masses for one reason-

much of mankind, once into adulthood, and when the euphoria of adolescence and teenage is a memory, lives in fear of the unknown, lives in mortal fear of mortality and loss of material comfort.

a rationalist only increases this fear and the majority audience seeks comfort in rejecting the true:) truth-seeker

on the other hand, the majority audience draws solace and comfort from the words and thoughts of the god-men, the god-believers, the abstract thinkers who can give the (future) unknown a definite and comforting form.
This must be the basis of all religion, and, i suppose, helps societal life and an orderly progression of the majority from birth to death.

In Kerala, there is no doubting the fact that mata amritanandamayi draws larger (fawning) audiences than abraham kovoor ever did!!

Last edited:
look at it this way thevortex,

human intellect is probably very basic - just enough to ensure that we are at the top of the food chain and can kill other living beings at random.

Not enough, then, to understand the complexities of our existence and that of the universe.

well, then, leave it at that, and do not try to understand or use logic or reason.

the reason for flawed concepts such as god and heaven and hell (reward and punishment) are direct results of using our limited intelligence to explain our existence.

My point was not to disassociate ourselves from logic and reason - things that have been solely responsible for our survival so long on this planet. My point was for the rationalists to understand that as powerful as our sense of reasoning has been and still is, there are still things which it cannot grasp. Where there are things such as that, there are two ways of looking at it.

1) Right now it is unexplained or even partially explained. There will come a time when light will shine full upon this subject. Till then you put the topic under abeyance.

2) Invent an explanation which hinges on the presence of a greater power - so to speak.

Both sides may not, with impunity, hurl mud at each other on this subject. That is my simple thought. In fact both sides fight virulently against each other simply because neither of them have inviolable proof. And I actually hope that such a day providing this proof may not come to pass. Because then, it would take out a lot of romance from life. :)

hey vortex, if i may be permitted to make out a distinction.

I believe that our standards of logic and reason have served us exceptionally well across the ages, and if there are undiscovered phenomena in nature, that is simply a function of the immensely complex universe that has come about through (increasingly well documented and) scientifically explicable events.

For example if you take a hypothetical aboriginal tribal from some undiscovered part of the world, immune to the aspects of science and technology that we are privy to and was shown a plasma television, without doubt their instinct would be to attribute the wonderful moving images (and the total lack of motion blur ;)) to some supernatural force.

It is precisely this tendency to consider what is unexplained as inexplicable that leads people to believe in various supernatural explanations for things which they personally are not familiar with the scientific explanation for. I agree that there is much that is unexplained in this universe, but that is not because of of a fault of the scientific or rational approach but of the staggering dimensions and complexity of the universe, and the relatively brief time (as Carl Sagan said, if the history of the universe was considered to be one year, all of human history would occupy the last few minutes of it) that we humans have had, to 'crack the problem.'

Now, on the one hand we have our logic and reason and scientific standards, and on the other hand we have fantastical stories, not distinguishable in any material way from bertrand russell's celestial teapot. While I do agree that one is free to choose one of these two approaches as more appealing, there is only one of these that is intellectually compelling and stands up to any sort of scrutiny, IMHO.

Like I said, if you can ignore his confrontational tone and his missionary zeal, Dawkins provides an excellent explanation why the thought that our "power of reasoning" might be insufficient is a less than sound excuse to accede to the truth of the various celestial teapots.

Let me start with the disclaimer that I am yet to read Dawkins' book. The next step is to go pick up his book and then write about it. I will see what can be done about it.

About the subject under discussion though, I do understand where you are coming from. An engine or a machine gun appearing in the stone age is a sure shot recipe for people ascribing the happenings to magic or the supernatural. But that is not what I am getting at.

It is the predilection of rationalists that what is unexplained today will certainly be explained by reason and science tomorrow or in the near future. And that the higher power reasoning holds no matter - even though they have no proof to the contrary.

The average 'scientific mind' that I have had the pleasure to meet unfortunately is not very good at accepting that certain things do NOT have easy explanations. Instead of moving on, they tend to try and shoot down any theories which try to explain it - even though they themselves have no explanation ready to put forward. That to me is an empty gesture. Hope you get my point.

That said I am not in the least religious - repeating myself for emphasis.

Lastly I trust you realize that even the theory of evolution as produced by Darwin has not been indisputably proven:)

a rationalist, a straight-thinker, will not be popular with the masses for one reason-

much of mankind, once into adulthood, and when the euphoria of adolescence and teenage is a memory, lives in fear of the unknown, lives in mortal fear of mortality and loss of material comfort.

a rationalist only increases this fear and the majority audience seeks comfort in rejecting the true:) truth-seeker

on the other hand, the majority audience draws solace and comfort from the words and thoughts of the god-men, the god-believers, the abstract thinkers who can give the (future) unknown a definite and comforting form.
This must be the basis of all religion, and, i suppose, helps societal life and an orderly progression of the majority from birth to death.

Correct! And this washes well with my opinion that religion is nothing but a crowd control measure at its deepest roots. No offense meant to religious people, honestly. Just my opinion.

Ajinkya - while I agree with you about the follies of science and its champions, I am not sure that it is religion which gives our lives purpose. Some time back I had written a few verses on this very subject. I beg members' pardon if this bores the hell out of you.
--------------------------------------------------------
His voice reaches down
to the multitudes
gathered round,
barely reaching out,
cutting through years
and years of practiced
emptiness,
in the name of religion
and other matters
spiritual.

"Time runs out
and so does the chance
of making good
your promise,
your duty towards
that greatest gift
of knowing Time -
Past Wisdom,
Present Promise
and Future mystery".

"Am I so vain
to have you see
yourself in My image
and still fall
on bent knee"?

"Your prayer neither
creates nor sustains.
It only serves
your fear and guilt
as a crutch,
as a secret cache,
as a tired mule.
You pray and dump
all that corrupts
at Me,
as if it was the other way
round".

"You seek a higher
purpose.
You fool yourself
that better things
are just around
the bend,
whence the journey
from straights to the bend
is all you have,
all you need,
your purpose".

my views were quite similar to yours till i read Dawkins, and yes....even now our views are not that different, just that I struggle to give any credence to any supernatural explanation, simply because we don't know better :) Lovely poem by the way.

My point was not to disassociate ourselves from logic and reason - things that have been solely responsible for our survival so long on this planet. My point was for the rationalists to understand that as powerful as our sense of reasoning has been and still is, there are still things which it cannot grasp. Where there are things such as that, there are two ways of looking at it.

1) Right now it is unexplained or even partially explained. There will come a time when light will shine full upon this subject. Till then you put the topic under abeyance.

2) Invent an explanation which hinges on the presence of a greater power - so to speak.

Both sides may not, with impunity, hurl mud at each other on this subject. That is my simple thought. In fact both sides fight virulently against each other simply because neither of them have inviolable proof. And I actually hope that such a day providing this proof may not come to pass. Because then, it would take out a lot of romance from life. :)

Let me start with the disclaimer that I am yet to read Dawkins' book. The next step is to go pick up his book and then write about it. I will see what can be done about it.

About the subject under discussion though, I do understand where you are coming from. An engine or a machine gun appearing in the stone age is a sure shot recipe for people ascribing the happenings to magic or the supernatural. But that is not what I am getting at.

It is the predilection of rationalists that what is unexplained today will certainly be explained by reason and science tomorrow or in the near future. And that the higher power reasoning holds no matter - even though they have no proof to the contrary.

The average 'scientific mind' that I have had the pleasure to meet unfortunately is not very good at accepting that certain things do NOT have easy explanations. Instead of moving on, they tend to try and shoot down any theories which try to explain it - even though they themselves have no explanation ready to put forward. That to me is an empty gesture. Hope you get my point.

That said I am not in the least religious - repeating myself for emphasis.

Lastly I trust you realize that even the theory of evolution as produced by Darwin has not been indisputably proven:)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back