The obsessive compulsive audiophile

Analogous

Psychological disorders are to be mentioned/discussed in a non-labelling, non-judgmental, empathetic, and scientific manner. Pop psychology articles usually do more harm by spreading tropes (like ‘OCD’ has become one) resulting in those actually suffering from the disorders reluctant to talk about their problems or seek help fearing ridicule/pity.

Psychological disorders are to be mentioned/discussed in a non-labelling, non-judgmental, empathetic, and scientific manner. Pop psychology articles usually do more harm by spreading tropes (like ‘OCD’ has become one) resulting in those actually suffering from the disorders reluctant to talk about their problems or seek help fearing ridicule/pity.
It is a provocative article published in an online publication for audiophiles. (Not in a academic publication)
I think it’s satirical so best to read it with a sense of humour (if the reader finds it humorous)
The author could have done a better job to clearly differentiate between hobbies and special interest activities that involve a degree of obsession and OCD which is a clinical disorder affecting daily life of the person and those around in a negative way.

It is a provocative article published in an online publication for audiophiles. (Not in a academic publication)
I think it’s satirical so best to read it with a sense of humour (if the reader finds it humorous)
When the author starts the article by stating his qualifications and experience as a psychotherapist and quotes the diagnostic manual on psychological disorders upfront, the article is quite likely to be taken by most readers as scientifically backed. If the intention was to be satirical and write a humorous article, one could have avoided establishing one’s professional credibility at the start. Also, one doesn’t see a disclaimer anywhere.

Anyway, I felt it right to express my concern and have done so.

Far from being just provocative or satirical, i found this article to be quite clearly a humour piece. 'Doctor of Clinical Hypnotherapy' is not a even and accredited degree.

That’s where the fun starts. It’s difficult to say if he is serious using a dubious science degree to call out the …
It’s real, though unaccredited

Anyway, I’ve made my point and cautioned the potential readers on this forum. If medical professionals want to make or propagate humour at the cost of inappropriate use of medical terms and being insensitive to those afflicted with the conditions, it’s their choice.

It’s real, though unaccredited

Anyway, I’ve made my point and cautioned the potential readers on this forum. If medical professionals want to make or propagate humour at the cost of inappropriate use of medical terms and being insensitive to those afflicted with the conditions, it’s their choice.
It sounds like this article is disturbing. I can request the mods to remove it

If I don't like what I see when I look in the mirror, I don't blame the mirror and remove the mirror. ;)
Not my intention to disturb anyone’s peace of mind through online posts.
But you are right I recognised a few behaviours mentioned in the article in similar my own to a small extent. Thankfully it’s nowhere near out of my control. We should keep in mind the likelihood that there may be a few who may be struggling and need help.
The point when our interest in something (obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviour, to observers) becomes disruptive and starts affecting day to day lives, is poorly defined and subjective. Treatment is available and Mental health experts can help. Cognitive behavioural therapy seems to be more effective than other methods.
In clinical settings showing recordings of obsessive behaviour to those being treated for severe OC behaviour is of no therapeutic value.
If this thread causes distress to anyone it should be removed. Please DM a mod or me.
I am sure we can find a way to discuss our obsessions without this article.

Last edited:
Not my intention to disturb anyone’s peace of mind through online posts.
But you are right I recognised a few behaviours mentioned in the article in similar my own to a small extent. Thankfully it’s nowhere near out of my control. We should keep in mind the likelihood that there may be a few who may be struggling and need help.
The point when our interest in something (obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviour, to observers) becomes disruptive and starts affecting day to day lives, is poorly defined and subjective. Treatment is available and Mental health experts can help. Cognitive behavioural therapy seems to be more effective than other methods.
In clinical settings showing recordings of obsessive behaviour to those being treated for severe OC behaviour is of no therapeutic value.
If this thread causes distress to anyone it should be removed. Please DM a mod or me.
I am sure we can find a way to discuss our obsessions without this article.
I agree with the most part of what you say but the source should be addressed - you're just linking to it. In that article, comments are still open so anyone taking issue with that article should address the author directly with their PoV. AFAIK, that article is written tongue in cheek and as usual, as is our wont, we're 0verthinking it and 0verreacting. I quite enjoyed reading it.

An easy-to-understand explanation of the effects of joking about mental disorders.

That should be your call. I DM mods when I find a thread in violation of the forum rules. This one isn’t. Hence appealed to your good sense. And shall leave it at that.

appealed to your good sense
I apologise if I trivialised any mental health issue or offended you in any way.
You do know neither you nor I have the ability to delete a thread.
I think I have made my position clear in the posts following the OP
If I get a DM from anyone requesting the removal of this thread or article I will definitely request the Mods to consider this.

Last edited:
I apologise if I trivialised any mental health issue or offended you in any way.
Just to be clear, there was nothing in your posts to take offence, ergo, I am not feeling offended. Yes, I do think the article trivialises mental health issue and therefore brought it to your notice.

You do know neither you nor I have the ability to delete a thread.
Yes. And you can request a moderator to delete it based on your volition. If you are convinced.
If I get a DM from anyone requesting the removal of this thread or article
As clarified earlier, I don’t see anything in violation of the forum rules in it. It’s entirely your choice as it should be with each of us. I exercised my choice when I posted what issues I saw with the article. And I respect your choice to post what you deem worth, as long as I can express my POV. :)

Just to be clear, there was nothing in your posts to take offence, ergo, I am not feeling offended. Yes, I do think the article trivialises mental health issue and therefore brought it to your notice.

Yes. And you can request a moderator to delete it based on your volition. If you are convinced.

As clarified earlier, I don’t see anything in violation of the forum rules in it. It’s entirely your choice as it should be with each of us. I exercised my choice when I posted what issues I saw with the article. And I respect your choice to post what you deem worth, as long as I can express my POV. :)
Thanks.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back