The "Room Acoustics" thread

There are acoustic curtains available with added advantage of making the room darker.

V.

One also has to consider blackout curtains - which are easily available fortunately in the fabric stores.
Cheers
Sid

Venkatcr,

During the making of my mini theatre, i had personally seen in a store over here who had these imported curtains with some acoustic values and the curtains were double coloured, the outside portion facing the sun was thick black while from inside it was of different colors and not to forget the fabric also was quite thick, i had nearly finalized them but realized that i do not want windows.

V.

And where would you get these, Vinay?

Cheers

Venkatcr - In hyderbad there is a large fabric store in Ameerpet - When I went there and described my needs they immediately showed me a lining which is a blackout lining that can be attached to any curtain and man does it work. It blocks out 100% of sunlight. Unfortunately I dont know the name but if it is available in Ameerpet I bet it is available in all large metros.
Cheers,
Sid

Very well said windowless room is the best of which i have been saying since the longest time i know, please do not worry about ventilation, look at the benefits of no window, someone like you who has such a great knowledge and talking about window, it is like you know even a elephant slips, so for god's sake please do not humiliate a home theatre by even thinking of having a window.

Our great Santosh used to have a window, and finally he did remove it the in-direct way.

The simple way out for ventilation is to keep the theatre door open once or twice during the day for a brief time.

V.

I understand Vinay that the best theater room would be a windowless one, but unfortunately not all of us have a dedicated room and many of us are using the same room as a living room/family room or HT (in my case I converted a spare bedroom into a media room) - so it is quite difficult to achieve this - hence my question about using double glazed glass (two layer glass with a gas layer sandwiched) to keep noise out and inside noise from going out. Apparently pre fab windows with double glazed glass are being used more extensively in India which is good news.
So using this type of glass and acoustic curtains that you mentioned earlier with blackout shades I think it should be a reasonable remedy for windows - what do you say?
Cheers
Sid

Hello Sid,

It is very true that few have the opportunity to have a windowless theatre, but in your case it is very different as you have high passion for this hobby, so you have no choice but to break all speed breakers to achieve your goal.

You are already realizing you want to march ahead no wonder you converted the spare bedroom to a media room, this is half the battle won, you should bite the bullet and forget the window, as a goodwill gesture i will pay you for plastering the window into a wall, this is a hard decision, you will face resistance from your folks etc, please do not give in.

I also was going to go for the acoustic glass and curtains, then it struck me that i should not have windows, for several days i was in a major dilemma, everyone was against me of knocking the window out, when the window was about to be removed, i stalled it, was very afraid, then the next day, i took the hard step, and today i am the happiest person.

I could be getting on your nerve for which i am sorry but i am doing my best to stop you from doing a mother of a mistake to have windows, i do not have faith in god, otherwise i would have gone to the temple and prayed that you should succeed in removing the window.

V.

The beauty of the curtain which i saw was that a black lining was not required because one side the curtain was thick black and the other side it was the usual colors, a standing ovation should be given to the guys who made such a curtain.

V.

Venkatcr - In hyderbad there is a large fabric store in Ameerpet - When I went there and described my needs they immediately showed me a lining which is a blackout lining that can be attached to any curtain and man does it work. It blocks out 100% of sunlight. Unfortunately I dont know the name but if it is available in Ameerpet I bet it is available in all large metros.
Cheers,
Sid

Hello Sid,

It is very true that few have the opportunity to have a windowless theatre, but in your case it is very different as you have high passion for this hobby, so you have no choice but to break all speed breakers to achieve your goal.

You are already realizing you want to march ahead no wonder you converted the spare bedroom to a media room, this is half the battle won, you should bite the bullet and forget the window, as a goodwill gesture i will pay you for plastering the window into a wall, this is a hard decision, you will face resistance from your folks etc, please do not give in.

I also was going to go for the acoustic glass and curtains, then it struck me that i should not have windows, for several days i was in a major dilemma, everyone was against me of knocking the window out, when the window was about to be removed, i stalled it, was very afraid, then the next day, i took the hard step, and today i am the happiest person.

I could be getting on your nerve for which i am sorry but i am doing my best to stop you from doing a mother of a mistake to have windows, i do not have faith in god, otherwise i would have gone to the temple and prayed that you should succeed in removing the window.

V.

Vinay really appreciate your concern and definitely your offer to pay - your passion for HT really shows through these threads - and believe me - as you rightly mentioned - I am just as passionate, but I am planning to split my HT and music listening into two rooms soon. The HT will be moved to another spare bedroom that is much larger 24' x 14' and best of all it has only 1 small window (hence not too ideal for a bedroom) and there I plan to really pull out all the stops and build the interior from scratch and I plan to get rid of the window entirely. Hopefully I can start on the project in a couple of months.
Cheers
Sid

Vinay and Sidvee, what you are both describing seem to be curtains that inhibit light from coming in. This is easy to get.

I am talking about curtains that stop sound from travelling. Something that uses the same material that are used in sound absorbers backing.

Cheers

Vinay and Sidvee, what you are both describing seem to be curtains that inhibit light from coming in. This is easy to get.

I am talking about curtains that stop sound from travelling. Something that uses the same material that are used in sound absorbers backing.

Cheers
Around 10 years ago, I have seen a german brand (sorry, can't remember name) of acoustic curtains when I went to audition a pair of Vintage Polk speakers (my first major intro to hifi). The owner, Imran had installed these in his house and told me they were made of glass. I am not sure what it did for sound but definitely, it was letting light through for which he had another set of curtains behind these.

Can any one tell me what is that material used to block the sunlight behind curtains ? I was thinking of using a car sunfilm :p .

Cheers

Usually for acoustic control heavy and thick drapes are used, I have even seen canvas lined drapes, but beyond that I am not sure what else would be available. I have seen very thin lead plates and I am sure if someone were to sew those onto curtains they will be a good sound deterrent.
Cheers
Sid

Can any one tell me what is that material used to block the sunlight behind curtains ? I was thinking of using a car sunfilm :p .

I dont remember the brand name but any reasonably large fabric store should have them in stock. Just ask for blackout lining - evidently this is quite popular - becoz India being the oustourcing capital of the world - people have unconnventional sleep schedules and how can one sleep if sunlight is blasting through the window:lol:
Cheers
Sid

Thanks for your responses on my previous question which was about diffusors. My question was slightly different and I will rephrase my question later today.

Sid, I am guilty of not measuring responses. Have been wanting to do it, but have not gotten around to do it? That will be the moment of truth:).

Next question: How important is it to have acoustically transparent cloth on your panels? I have formed some opinion on this, but still have some questions, so let me hear what your views are.

Black out curtains are commonly used in every house in the US. These curtains typically have a different color on each side. The outside is normally white or black, while the inside has any color you want. I am sure there should be enough shops selling them in India now, at least in Bangalore as a good percentage of the population has lived in the US at some point in their lives. You can also order them from the US directly through ebay, 20North or BorderLinx.

Amazon.com: blackout curtain

Unfortunately these curtains are completely synthetic and not that sound absorbent.

Seen below: Acoustics in a motorsport outfit here in Bangalore. The equipment seen there is a dyno and is used to measure the horsepower at the wheel. Very high SPLs are reached during the tests and hence sound-breakers/diffusors have been installed. Don't see anyone wearing protective gear\ear plugs though......well....funny I am saying this for I always take off ear plugs at a F1 race (live) for the sound is music to my ears.

454001d1289885855t-open-house-red-rooster-bangalore-free-dyno-run-demo-drives-facility-tour-img_0939.jpg

Image Courtesy and more info: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-free-dyno-run-demo-drives-facility-tour.html

I think those are not diffusers. Those are wedge sound absorbers to increase the surface area of absorption and can cover a large area because of wedge faces.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back