The Rs.50K 50% Speaker Shootout

Which speaker brand would you recommend in the Rs.50K 50% range?

• Definitive Technology

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Energy

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Wharfedale

Votes: 32 38.1%
  • KEF

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Q Acoustics

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Mission

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Mordaunt-Short

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Jamo

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other (please specify in a post)

Votes: 10 11.9%

• Total voters

starunj

Dear Brothers and Sisters Who Spend Too Much Money On Audio Equipment:

In my search for speakers for in the ~Rs.50,000 range, I have come across a wide variety of speakers recommended by many people. Some for movies, some for music, and some for just sitting pretty in your room. I am no audiophile, but I believe in the wisdom of crowds, magazine authors and forum gurus. So, against the recommendation of most people with a functioning ear, I will be trying to evaluate speakers purely based on specifications and online reviews. To this effort, based on preliminary research (on this forum), I have narrowed the list down to approximately 15 sets of speakers. My search criteria are:

1. Price between Rs.25,000 and Rs.75,000
  2. 5.1 Speaker System

The shortlisted speakers are (no particular order):

• Definitive Technology ProCinema 600
  • Definitive Technology ProCinema 800
  • Paradigm Cinema 90 CT
  • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT
  • Energy Take Classic 5.1
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series with SW-150 subwoofer
  • Wharfedale Diamond 10 Series with 10.SX subwoofer
  • KEF KHT2005.3
  • Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1
  • Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema Pack
  • Mission MV-DS 5.1
  • Mission M3i Series
  • Mission M5i Series
  • Mordaunt-Short Alumni

I plan to build a spreadsheet to compare the above speaker systems. For that, I need your help with the following:

1. Expanding the search criteria (to refine speaker list)
2. Personal experience with the speakers - short review
3. Clear winners or losers in the above list (with reasons / sources)
4. Price information in India
5. Any set of speakers that are comparable to the above in quality / price that are missing from the list

While this effort will definitely help me choose the speaker set of my choice, I hope to create a living document that we may maintain to help future seekers of speaker enlightenment find an easier path.

Regards,
Tarun

50K +/-50% is too much a margin to select since you are basically talking 25k-75k then. There are many good ones!! since this is the price band most entry-level audiophiles will actually spend when they get into this hobby. Moreover, in the lower band of this margin, speaker manufacturers are fighting tooth & nail to WIN...

How about we split the price range to Rs.25K to Rs.50K and Rs.50K to Rs.75K? The reason I had such a large range was that, frankly, I didn't know the degree of difference in the quality of a Rs.25K system and the Rs.50K system, in other words, what is the best price / performance ratio?

Regards,
Tarun

Under 50k and 50...100k might be a better classification,

In the second category, you may add PSB Alphas and also their Image series, one of the Axiom HT sets ($1500 shipped to India + 25% customs). The Ushers S520 may also join this band, though they don't have dedicated surrounds and sub.

I have started a spreadsheet so that we may compare the vital statistics of the speakers:

Speaker Comparison

Please PM me if you would like access to edit and add information to the spreadsheet. I will keep adding information to it as I find it. Please recommend any other comparison metrics that will be useful.

Regards,
Tarun

You forgot Monitor audio BR2 & B&W 685 in same range.

One of the criteria is that the system should be 5.1 and that the cost of the entire 5.1 system should be in the Rs.50K 50% range. None the less, I have just added a B&W 685 system for reference.

Please check the spreadsheet at:

Rs.50K Audio Shootout

Also, please PM me if you want to help me out in building the spreadsheet - cost information would be most useful as that is where the sheet is lacking.

Regards,
Tarun

PSB do not have any 5.1 packages but one can make them using various models. Both their Alpha and Image series have front, centre, surrounds and subs to make a 5.1 within 50k and 75k respectively.

Monitor Audio Bronze models make up a 5.1 (BR2 + BR-LCR + BR1 + BRW10) for around 93k MRP. This with discounts (15-20%) may just fit into 75k.

Raghav

Thanks for the input, thevortex, do the PSB, EPOS and Monitor Audio have 5.1 packages?

After a lot of scouting on the internet for specifications, on the phone for prices and on the forum for which speakers to include, I have a list of 26 speakers.

Before I launch a detailed survey for the speakers in the list, I need your help with the following:

1. Do you have information on the unknown segments here?

Essentially, the following bits of information:
- Price of Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom 5.1 System
- Price of PSB Studio Theater System (Based on PSB Alpha Series)
- Price of PSB Epic Theater System (Based on PSB Image Series)
- Price of Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema (Not yet launched in India)
- Detailed specifications of the Mission MV-DS 5.1 System
- Subwoofer specifications of the Q Acoustics 1010i and 2000 Cinema

You may view detailed speaker information here.

2. Should I include any other speaker systems in the same range? Please note that I am looking for 5.1 systems that are available in India.

Once I fill in the gaps, I will launch a detailed survey for the members of this forum to participate in (your input will be greatly appreciated!). While the Wharfedales seem to be clear winners in round 1 of the survey, let us see who will come out on top at different price points.

Thanks,
Tarun

Current list of speaker systems in the round up:
  • Definitive Tech ProCinema 600
  • Definitive Tech ProCinema 800
  • Definitive Tech ProCinema 1000
  • Definitive Tech ProCinema 1000+
  • Jamo S 606 HCS 5
  • KEF KHT 2005.3
  • Mission MV-DS 5.1
  • Monitor Audio BR2 Package
  • Paradigm Cinema 90 CT
  • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT
  • Polk Audio RTi A Series
  • PSB Studio Theater System (Alpha)
  • PSB Epic Theater System (Image)
  • Q Acoustics 1010i Cinema
  • Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema
  • Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom 5.1
  • Wharfedale ? 9.1/9.CC/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 9.1/9.CS/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 10.1/10.CS/10.DFS/10.SX
  • Wharfedale ? 9.2/9.CS/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 9.2/9.CM/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 10.2/10.CM/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 9.5/9.CM/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 10.2/10.CM/10.DFS/10.MX

I have just started my research for HT for new home and your spreadsheet is very very helpful. Its just awesome. Thanks a lot! :clapping:
I will cast my vote once I have auditioned a few.

well list of speakers under 100k is endless. but if you want to include all, then you can add the following

1. Mordaunt Short Aviano 5.1
2. Mordaunt Short Alumni Package
3. Mordaunt Short Genie Package
4. Mordaunt Short Mezzo Package
5. Polk Audio TSi series
6. KEF C Series
7. KEF iQ Series
8. Mirage Nano 5.1
9. Mirage MX
10. Canton 5.1
11. Quad L-ite

After a lot of scouting on the internet for specifications, on the phone for prices and on the forum for which speakers to include, I have a list of 26 speakers.

Before I launch a detailed survey for the speakers in the list, I need your help with the following:

1. Do you have information on the unknown segments here?

Essentially, the following bits of information:
- Price of Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom 5.1 System
- Price of PSB Studio Theater System (Based on PSB Alpha Series)
- Price of PSB Epic Theater System (Based on PSB Image Series)
- Price of Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema (Not yet launched in India)
- Detailed specifications of the Mission MV-DS 5.1 System
- Subwoofer specifications of the Q Acoustics 1010i and 2000 Cinema

You may view detailed speaker information here.

2. Should I include any other speaker systems in the same range? Please note that I am looking for 5.1 systems that are available in India.

Once I fill in the gaps, I will launch a detailed survey for the members of this forum to participate in (your input will be greatly appreciated!). While the Wharfedales seem to be clear winners in round 1 of the survey, let us see who will come out on top at different price points.

Thanks,
Tarun

Current list of speaker systems in the round up:
  • Definitive Tech ProCinema 600
  • Definitive Tech ProCinema 800
  • Definitive Tech ProCinema 1000
  • Definitive Tech ProCinema 1000+
  • Jamo S 606 HCS 5
  • KEF KHT 2005.3
  • Mission MV-DS 5.1
  • Monitor Audio BR2 Package
  • Paradigm Cinema 90 CT
  • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT
  • Polk Audio RTi A Series
  • PSB Studio Theater System (Alpha)
  • PSB Epic Theater System (Image)
  • Q Acoustics 1010i Cinema
  • Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema
  • Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom 5.1
  • Wharfedale ? 9.1/9.CC/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 9.1/9.CS/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 10.1/10.CS/10.DFS/10.SX
  • Wharfedale ? 9.2/9.CS/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 9.2/9.CM/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 10.2/10.CM/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 9.5/9.CM/9.DFS/SW150
  • Wharfedale ? 10.2/10.CM/10.DFS/10.MX

@Raghav: Thanks for the list of speakers - would you have price / availability information for them? The price range was originally only Rs.25K to Rs.75K - the other speakers were included simply because information was available.

Also, what speakers do you prefer at each of the price ranges? Did you already vote?

Thanks,
Tarun

Prices for KEF, Polk are available on website of profx. Others I ahd taken from the dealers but do not recall any further. only have approx. idea.

I have voted on the poll. Shall do again on the new one.

@Raghav: Thanks for the list of speakers - would you have price / availability information for them? The price range was originally only Rs.25K to Rs.75K - the other speakers were included simply because information was available.

Also, what speakers do you prefer at each of the price ranges? Did you already vote?

Thanks,
Tarun

Isn't Bose considered to be worthy enough to be a part of this list? Bose does have good sound and does have a few 5.1 packages in the said price range.

Acoustimass 15 Series III Home Entertainment Speaker System
Price: Rs.78,638

Acoustimass 10 Series IV Home Entertainment Speaker System
Price: Rs.56,138

Acoustimass 6 Series III Home Entertainment Speaker System
Price: Rs.37,013

I have the Bose Companion 3 II Multimedia Speakers hooked up to my comp and I am very happy with them. I know, Bose is over-hyped, and not considered by true Home Theatre enthusiasts as good-quality speakers, but their sound IS good.

Per my audition in the past couple of months.......

I's rate B&W 685 HT Series best for 5.1 setup for > 50K range and Q - Acoustics for sub 50K.

For stereo Warfadales 10.5 front floor stands coupled with Marantz CD player/Amp were simply outstanding.

I have not taken a full audition for another brand called AAD for 5.1 setup but listining them on stereo, I can pretty much confidently say that they would rock with a complete 5.1 setup with a good AVR....something like DENON.
Will take the audition for AAD 5.1 some time at the end of Jan.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back