The "what do I do" thread

Industrial & Systems Engineer by qualification

Distributor for engineering products from Europe and the US. Work largely in the automotive sector but also in the aerospace, medical and defence industries. Music is my release. I listen to music almost every day without fail together with my two dogs.

Apart from music, golf is another passion. Have played sports all my life.
Other interests include food, travel and the occasional single malt.

p.s. Great thread @celester340! Really nice to know a little more about everyone on here.

We have 2K+ views on this thread and only 50 odd unique responses. So, going by the stats, we can safely assume that the majority of the members here must be cabinet ministers, celebrities or CIA operatives under cover :D

Ha Ha..how I wish it could be as a RAW Agent under cover..But 9-... pm is at a mundane consulting role with a consulting major, although an electrical engineer with a masters in supply chain and a piping engineer to boot , doing nothing of that in real life !

Weekends spent mostly with music & audio, reading , family and a little bit of cycling and highlight was a Cycling trip from Leh to Pangong Tso a couple of years back

<snip>
I listen to music almost every day without fail together with my two dogs.
<snip>

I have two dogs who are great music appreciation buddies. Great company when music is on.
Sometimes the little one inserts her "remix" into the music (Always snoring bulldog).
The older one, he sings/whines "at me" everyday before meal time (Always hungry boxer).
Cheers,
Raghu

Do they have a particular liking for HMV records? ;)
Actually when the boxer starts begging to be fed, he sits in that upright position facing me.
It starts out with crooning, then gentle whining, building up cresendo to a mild bark.
Will capture a pic one of these days.
Cheers,
Raghu

not a man of many words certainly :D
Do you get to listen to music while on-board? Personal audio or there are also recreation centres with stereo systems? I guess the music of the oceans provides a soothing background to whatever is played! Do you explore music scene at the shores where you land? Any stories to relate.

Hi Sachin :)

I don't carry a mobile rig with me for music when I sail. Usually I have some 2.1 computer speakers on every ship. So that keeps belting in my awake hours. I always enjoy music on everything :)

So no audiophile requirements for me :D

I started my career as Service Engineer after Diploma in Electrical & Electronics Engg. and worked for 9 years inluding Diesel alternator servicing. Then switched as Service Engineer for Keyboard/Mouse (helper kind of, not really a Service Engineer) and System Administration, Testing in Finance domain, Development, MicroControllers, Linux Device Drivers, Storage technologies and now in Seagate Technologies (Yes, Hard disk drive...!) as R&D VLSI Verification Engineer in Chip design division. You would have noticed I have not grown vertically, what ever I am interested I just switch without bothering about career, hike, designation.... just fun!
Oops.. I forgot to add that I finished A.M.I.E (Computer Engineering) ten years after my D.E.E.E. The entire 5 years of graduation study was self education. Get list of books prescribed, study at home (while working) and write exams. It was a lot of fun to clear all exams in five years period of time :)

I'm jealous! :p
Yeah, financially and corporate career wise I have lost a lot. But not personally! I have full job satisfaction irrespective of anything around at works.

I am an Engineer by profession and into healthcare sector for over two decades working for GE Healthcare. I work on ICU and Operation Theatre related equipment in almost all the leading Hospitals, Medical colleges in India and Sri Lanka.
I am very much interested in driving long distances and keenly interested in Music, Movies and my ride is also equally well equipped with the necessary Amps,Cross overs and Sub etc..
Happy to be a part of this wonderful forum.

Very nice thread. I am a stockbroker and advise institutional investors on the markets, which stocks to buy or sell etc. Following sports is my main passtime (all sports) followed by photography followed by audio, though in terms of spending money it is the reverse...

Dear All

Enlightening and interesting to know a little more about you all ! Here is a little about me:

Have a Master’s Degree in Public Policy and for the last 14 years working and leading a team of consultants passionate on urban issues; advising governments (central, state and local governments in India, SE Asia and Africa) directly or indirectly through multilateral / bilateral agencies.

Also worked in equity research for more than four years after MBA and just before pursuing the Public Policy course.

So passionate about cities and how they grow / evolve.

Work does not seem like work; enjoy what I do; living a childhood dream. Work has put life in balance.

I teach in my old school and also help run our small family resort. I like writing and published a book of whimsical essays about 15 years ago. Have just completed a short novel which may probably get published sometime in January by a small Indie publisher. Most of my friends from DU are doing great ( I see many on TV sometimes).
I decided to come home to the mountains and never regret living this simple life. Although as everywhere else we do have our share of troubles and things don’t always go the way we want it to. My wife supports me in my audiophile journey by tolerating it. My son , all of 11 years and 7 months is a budding music lover and perhaps due to my influence likes jazz ( Sonny Rollins mainly )and Dylan. Daughter is 17 years and has a more normal , contemporary taste in music. Both play a little music ( guitar and piano respectively). Needless to mention I like shoes and am a little snobbish about what I slip my feet into.

Hi
Friends
Music is the strength that brings people of various professions under the same firmament. I have been teaching in a govt run high school for near about 20 years. I had my graduation from the university of Calcutta and masters from the Burdwan university. I can't afford to be an audiophile but try my best to feel music,specially the Indian classical ,Rabindrasangeet, Bengali adhunik and old Bollywood movie songs. In my childhood I learnt to sing and to play Tabla. Now I am happy with my photography ,reading habits and vinyls . Many thanks to friend Celester 340as he started this nice thread.
Regards
Bhaskar

Hi
Friends
Music is the strength that brings people of various professions under the same firmament. I have been teaching in a govt run high school for near about 20 years. I had my graduation from the university of Calcutta and masters from the Burdwan university. I can't afford to be an audiophile but try my best to feel music,specially the Indian classical ,Rabindrasangeet, Bengali adhunik and old Bollywood movie songs. In my childhood I learnt to sing and to play Tabla. Now I am happy with my photography ,reading habits and vinyls . Many thanks to friend Celester 340as he started this nice thread.
Regards
Bhaskar

As long as you enjoy your music, be it on big equipment or mobile phone or radio, you are an audiophile.
Keep listening and enjoying.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Friends,
Its really nice to know that all of us from diverse places & occupation are bound by a common hobby.
I am a commerce graduate with a diploma in programming & systems analysis & design from Mumbai University. I am into the field of animation & graphics for advertising & TV commercials for around 25 years.
The deadlines are crazy since the airing of commercials are fixed & cannot change. So to maintain my sanity :) , I need my dose of music & movies. One good aspect of my profession is that sometimes we have to visit sound studios where dubbing & music takes place & got to observe how the sound engineer mixes sound . There we get to listen to the good professional speakers especially the Dynaudio's & Genelecs But the Dynaudio's are my all time favorite & the best speakers that I have heard IMHO. I owe it to my father for igniting an interest in music in me.

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

I am Saral Srivastava, a resident of Delhi-NCR. I have done masters in Operations Management, a commerce graduate and have worked with MNC BPOs in Banking & Finance Operations for 6 years, then worked with E-commerce sector for 5 years (Jabong & OLX), and currently managing Telecom operations for a Medical & Aesthetics technology MNC - BTL Industries Inc. Based in Noida, currently managing the US-Canada Telecom Operations.
I love traveling, road trips, exploring new destinations (mostly mountains, lush greens, springs - if I may, beaches), to explore new cultures, foods, etc. A tech & automobile enthusiast since mid-teens.
PS: I ported Android on my windows Phone when it was in developing stages, and was an active member of XDA-developers while I wasn't aware what it was (Mecca for mobile developers), and how huge android will become eventually. It was challenging, thrilling and exciting stuff for me back then. Music keeps me calm, at peace and almost like doing spiritual yoga at times. I don't listen to any specific genre as such, but I have a liking for Sufi music, house music, old school rap music, hip-hop in the car, depending on the mood. I also cook sometimes, which I used to do quite often when I was younger, now I prefer eating good stuff, and thereafter plan on working out to keep things in perspective. Life is good, grateful for what I have and thrive to maintain the much needed peace in life, amidst the chaos which life brings time & again!

I am glad to have become active on this community, while I have been active on AVS forum's, TBHP, Gearheads, XDA-Developers since years.

Glad to have known a little bit about everyone who shared their information, and share a little about myself.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back