The World's First Curved OLED TV!

LGWRSherlock

As maybe one of the best surprise at CES 2013, LG has unveiled the world's first curved OLED TV. This awesome TV will be numbered as EA9800, with a curved-display designed to make the entire surface to be equidistant from the viewer's eyes, thus increasing the realism of the viewing experience. You can see some pictures of the curved OLED TV at the exhibition here by The Verge: Gallery: LG curved OLED TV hands-on pictures | The Verge

lg-curved-oled1_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC_4095_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC_4087_verge_super_wide.jpg

LG WRman Sherlock out!

How does watching on a curved screen make any qualitative difference vis a vis a normal flat panel? The "equidistant" phenomenon would be very nominal at a distance of 9 feet or so - the average TV watching distance.

Hey lakhan.j, the curved OLED TV, in the first place, will have amazing picture quality to quench any thirst for an immersive viewing experience. And the curved aspect of the TV means that the picture quality will be consistent from any angle and you will be quite surprised at how weirdly captivating a new angle and a perspective will be to your eyes. Again, words are just words and things like this should be experienced first-hand. I will update you if I get any news of the OLED TV coming to India so you can test it out in one of our showroom!

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Wow really nice tv set. I heard that their 55 inch OLED TV also offers an infinite contrast ratio, which maintains optimal contrast levels regardless of ambient brightness or viewing angle.

Both korean giants of consumer tech samsung and lg claimed to have created the worlds first curved oled tv.I think it was a big announcement for both companies and a great surprise to everyone. I wish them best of luck.

Wow really nice tv set. I heard that their 55 inch OLED TV also offers an infinite contrast ratio, which maintains optimal contrast levels regardless of ambient brightness or viewing angle.

Thanks for the kind words, das.anirban. And you are certainly right. The OLED TV from LG has an infinite contrast ratio, meaning the images on screen will be more vibrant and realistic than anything you have ever seen on TV. You can check out this website dedicated to the LG OLED TV here: LG OLED TV. The Ultimate Display It's a fun and interactive website made especially to show you all the great innovations that leads to the creation of this TV together with all its awesome features and functions.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Both korean giants of consumer tech samsung and lg claimed to have created the worlds first curved oled tv.I think it was a big announcement for both companies and a great surprise to everyone. I wish them best of luck.

Wow, props for the generous spirit, shubham garg. I was also just as surprised as anyone that there are two "world's first" curved OLED TV, haha. But it's alright. The world is big enough for all of us to live in peace together. Plus, the OLED TV's officially being rolled out soon in February so I'm just as happy as a clam.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Is there a viewing benefit to having a curved oled tv? I mean whats the logic of having these type of tv sets.

The benefit of having a curved screen, Krishna Singh, is the elimination of potential screen edge distortions. By looking at the curved screen, your eyes will be equidistant to the surface of the screen (which doesn't happen in traditional flat screen models), thus preventing the image and colors on the TV to be distorted on the edge of the screen. This small but important change will lead to a much more realistic experience as your eyes will not notice the little annoying changes in the color perception on the edge of the screen, thus preserving an immersive viewing. Plus, a curved TV looks super-cool, don't you think?

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Concept of Curved OLED TV seems very cool, however, what about other TVs like 4K LEDs. Those are also very big. Why don't they put Curved panel concept in those big screens?

Screens are pretty impressive! And it is a remarkable achievement for both Samsung and LG; great effort by these monsters!

LGWRSherlock You can check out this website dedicated to the LG OLED TV here: LG OLED TV. The Ultimate Display It's a fun and interactive website made especially to show you all the great innovations that leads to the creation of this TV together with all its awesome features and functions.

Wow.What a site! I never saw such an innovative website before @sherlock thanks a lot for sharing this URL. It seems like LG is not only creative enough in making TV panels but also in making creative websites too!

Last edited:
As maybe one of the best surprise at CES 2013, LG has unveiled the world's first curved OLED TV. This awesome TV will be numbered as EA9800, with a curved-display designed to make the entire surface to be equidistant from the viewer's eyes, thus increasing the realism of the viewing experience. You can see some pictures of the curved OLED TV at the exhibition here by The Verge: Gallery: LG curved OLED TV hands-on pictures | The Verge

lg-curved-oled1_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC_4095_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC_4087_verge_super_wide.jpg

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Will these curved TVs have more contrast ratio than flat OLED TV screens???

Wow.What a site! I never saw such an innovative website before @sherlock thanks a lot for sharing this URL. It seems like LG is not only creative enough in making TV panels but also in making creative websites too!

Thanks ajay_kr for the compliment, the LG World Record OLED TV is an awesome product so it goes without saying that it warrants a similarly awesome website to introduce it to the world. You can also check out an exclusive page for the Ultra HD TV here: Discover Ultra HD Television | LG USA

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Will these curved TVs have more contrast ratio than flat OLED TV screens???

Hey Ram Sahoo, these curved OLED TVs are still, for all intents and purposes, OLED TVs so they mostly retain the same contrast ratio. The flat screen OLED TVs already have 100,000,000:1 contrast ratio and a response time 1,000 times faster than LCD. I mean anything more than that is probably impossible for the normal human eyes to detect so you can be assured that both TVs have equally stunning picture quality.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Concept of Curved OLED TV seems very cool, however, what about other TVs like 4K LEDs. Those are also very big. Why don't they put Curved panel concept in those big screens?

It would be indeed very cool to have a curved 4K OLED TV! Since this year LG World has introduced the curved OLED TV. I suspect we might have to wait until next year for a possible curved 4K OLED TV to come out though. And maybe another surprise along the way. Let's wait and see!

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back