They're here... Axiom M3 pair and coming soon... VP100

skumar

[Original post] Will post details over the weekend which is when these speakers will reach me... Till then, the teaser... []

Click on the image or here for more photos, specs, reviews and cost.

Impedance: 8ohm, Power: 10...175watt, Sensitivity: 88...92db,
Xover: 2.2khz, 1" tweeter and 6.5" woofer

Edit-1:
Initially, I was eyeing the Usher S520s and bargained quite a bit with (ARN) Sreedhar too about the price. Then, my sister was going on a business trip to USA and offered to carry 50lbs of luggage back to India for me. I availed the offer and here we go...

Edit-2:
My set up consists of an Onlyo AVR 504 and Onkyo HT-240 (6.1) speaker set which has an active sub and the "good looking" brushed alluminium speakers. These speakers are a definite improvement over the 5.1 JBL sats I had earlier, and I bought them for their looks and convenience 3yr ago. Realized soon that "at least" the fronts need to be swapped with better ones for music and started reading. Once I joined HFV, there is no turning back and I am now considering a decent 5.1 upgrade, in phases though... The AVR will be the last one to go, unless I get a pretty good deal in between.

I considered retaining the Onkyo stuff as is and going for a separate 2.0 set up, but then I am not a music officiando. Given the dynamics of the hall at my home, I thought it might be difficult to realize the full potential of a 2.0 system and will continue with AVR+5.1 for now.

Edit-3:
I prefer laid-back, fatigue-free audio and was wondering if I can get BSs which will disappear from the scene in the ~20k range and short-listed the following based on what I read on the internet. Being in Hyd, the only speakers I could audition were Wharfe 9.5s at Vector, which didn't help me a lot. :lol: I didn't hear any mid/hi-fi speakers in the recent past, but was assuming that at least some of the review(er)s are honest. :eek:hyeah:

- PSB Image B25 ($320k retail in USA/Rs25k MRP in India). After seeing some photos, thought they are too big and was looking at B15s also.
- Usher S520 ($400 retail in USA, might be a bit cheaper in the east, 24k MRP in India). I nearly closed on these, but then center speaker in this range costs the same/more as the BS "pair".
- speakercompany.com - I was looking at getting their 3.0 bundle as they are a bit cheaper
- Wharfies etc.
plus, what I chose finally, details will follow...:licklips:

I am sure I wouldn't have been unhappy with any of the above, I am not too much of a nit-picker and am ok to take the risk of buying without an audition. Wanted some decent sounding VFM speakers which will give me a feel of mid/hi-fi to enjoy both music and movies... One other consideration was availability of matching center, surrounds also.

Edit-4: Finally, they are here :yahoo: :thumbsup: but I am yet to see them :licklips:

Edit-5:
The speakers are with me now and first impressions on look and feel:

- Well packed in separate boxes (each speaker). They handled the journey across the world very well, even after they were opened and repacked for security inspection in USA.
- Each speaker comes with a set of 4 adhesive rubber mounts which could be stuck on the bottom for reducing vibration/resonance. There is a plastic wrench included to tighten the speaker binding posts in each box.
- Seem to be sturdy, well made and feel a bit bulky for their size
- The finish seems a bit duller than what we see in the photos, I do prefer matt/dull finish compared to glossy.

Edit-6:
first impressions on how they sound...

Edit-7:
Cost of the M3 pair and getting Axiom products into India

Coming next... what else...?

Last edited by a moderator:
re: They're here... Axiom M3s...

Hai kumar,

Pl post the performance and the total cost of the speakers, after you have received them.

N.Murali

Initially, I was eyeing the Usher S520s and bargained quite a bit with (ARN) Sreedhar too about the price. Then, my sister was going on a business trip to USA and offered to carry 50lbs of luggage back to India for me. I availed the offer and here we go...

Coming next... my humble setup

Jith, Grubyhalo, Manu - thanks.

Murali - I will post all the details soon.

My set up consists of an Onlyo AVR 504 and Onkyo HT-240 (6.1) speaker set which has an active sub and the "good looking" brushed alluminium speakers. These speakers are a definite improvement over the 5.1 JBL sats I had earlier, and I bought them for their looks and convenience 3yr ago. Realized soon that "at least" the fronts need to be swapped with better ones for music and started reading. Once I joined HFV, there is no turning back and I am now considering a decent 5.1 upgrade, in phases though... The AVR will be the last one to go, unless I get a pretty good deal in between.

I considered retaining the Onkyo stuff as is and going for a separate 2.0 set up, but then I am not a music officiando. Given the dynamics of the hall at my home, I thought it might be difficult to realize the full potential of a 2.0 system and will continue with AVR+5.1 for now.

Coming next... budget, short-list...

I've been holding my breath since yesterday (inhaaaaaaaaaaaale ......! ) ... C'mon man do you want me to die?!! :D

Cheers

I've been holding my breath since yesterday (inhaaaaaaaaaaaale ......! ) ... C'mon man do you want me to die?!! :D

That's the whole point... I wanted to replicate my feelings here in the forum and I think somewhat successfully did so, going by your post. :yahoo: :eek:hyeah: Imagine my situation, my sister is flying out of USA later today and it will be on friday/saturday only that I can lay my hands on these guys... can't wait...

I just hope my sister doesn't dump these in the airport check-in for all the chocolates her colleagues are sending for their team in India... :lol:

So%20Close%20Yet%20So%20Far.JPG

That's the whole point... I wanted to replicate my feelings here in the forum and I think somewhat successfully did so, going by your post. :yahoo: :eek:hyeah: Imagine my situation, my sister is flying out of USA later today and it will be on friday/saturday only that I can lay my hands on these guys... can't wait...

I just hope my sister doesn't dump these in the airport check-in for all the chocolates her colleagues are sending for their team in India... :lol:

I hope she is not flying in a Jet airways plane.:)

I'm sure we're all be looking at the pricing factor. So untill then sweet dreams.

--
Bryston + B&W

I hope she is not flying in a Jet airways plane.:)

Same colours, but different airline (Lufthansa)... :lol:

I'm sure we're all be looking at the pricing factor. So untill then sweet dreams.

The pricing might be one of the plus factors for these guys, we can confirm once we see/listen how well they perform.

I prefer laid-back, fatigue-free audio and was wondering if I can get BSs which will disappear from the scene in the ~20k range and short-listed the following based on what I read on the internet. Being in Hyd, the only speakers I could audition were Wharfe 9.5s at Vector, which didn't help me a lot. :lol: I didn't hear any mid/hi-fi speakers in the recent past, but was assuming that at least some of the review(er)s are honest. :eek:hyeah:

- PSB Image B25 ($320k retail in USA/Rs25k MRP in India). After seeing some photos, thought they are too big and was looking at B15s also.
- Usher S520 ($400 retail in USA, might be a bit cheaper in the east, 24k MRP in India). I nearly closed on these, but then center speaker in this range costs the same/more as the BS "pair".
- speakercompany.com - I was looking at getting their 3.0 bundle as they are a bit cheaper
- Wharfies etc.
plus, what I chose finally, details will follow...

I am sure I wouldn't have been unhappy with any of the above, I am not too much of a nit-picker and am ok to take the risk of buying without an audition. Wanted some decent sounding VFM speakers which will give me a feel of mid/hi-fi to enjoy both music and movies... One other consideration was availability of matching center, surrounds also.

I will know tomorrow morning whether the speakers made it to Hyd or the chocoloates. Hopefully...:thumbsup:

Wharfie Bookshelves will not disappear.

And Yes after I heard such speakers I realized that this ability counts as one of the topmost in the must have features list.

Cheers

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back