Thiel SmartSub 2

bhuwankaura

Hi there !

I am curious to understand what price should I pay for a subwoofer with these specs. The seller is asking 100K.

SmartSelect_20190408-221014_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Their price was around 5000 USD, depending upon Veneer.

Reviews, suggestions are most welcome. And above all, is it worth spending a 100K ?

Thanks & Regards,
Bhuwan

Please share details of the rest of your set up, room size, Sound volume,type of music you listen to etc We need to know all before suggesting anything.

Regards
Prasanta

Here is a good review of the sub. Seems like an amazing built and controls. It would really depend on how old and abused the sub has been, before you decide. Also the reviewer states there is NO crossover built in, so whatever you connect it to ,better have an LFE output if you want bass management.

Hi Prasanta,

Thanks for replying.

My room is 20 feet by 18 feet by 12 feet. I want to pair the sub with JBL Control 10 pro studio monitors, driven by Crown xls 2500 power amp, fed by SMSL SU8 DAC (upscaling almost everything to DSD512 or DSD256) connected to laptop which plays DSD content using Foobar. I prefer songs over movies, preferably rock and jazz at decent levels. I don't want a sub to shatter my window panes, but should be able to provide the low end available in Barso re(from the movie guru), driving slow(Badshah), etc.

Please suggest if this(or any other) subwoofer suits my requirement.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhuwan

Here is a good review of the sub. Seems like an amazing built and controls. It would really depend on how old and abused the sub has been, before you decide. Also the reviewer states there is NO crossover built in, so whatever you connect it to ,better have an LFE output if you want bass management.
Thanks ! I have Emotiva usp 1 which has a passive crossover and luckily a balanced sub out too. I think it should serve the purpose. What do you recommend ?

Thanks & Regards,
Bhuwan

Thanks ! I have Emotiva usp 1 which has a passive crossover and luckily a balanced sub out too. I think it should serve the purpose. What do you recommend ?

Thanks & Regards,
Bhuwan
I would say go for it if it's in good condition and "If" you have heard it and liked it. Seems like it's built like a tank.

I would say go for it if it's in good condition and "If" you have heard it and liked it. Seems like it's built like a tank.
I haven't heard it, but want to know if it's worth it, value for money, etc. Also, the specs seem too outrageous to me. Thiel mentioned corner placement in their specs, which I don't think is the right way of calculating SPL. What if I place it in the center of my room ? Will I get the same SPL as with corner placement ?

I can return and get my money back, except that I need to pay for the shipping. I assume this is not such a bad sub that it's a waste of money to audition it at home. I think I will bring it home and give it a test.

Thanks !
Bhuwan

Hi Bhuwan, I am Using the Thiel SS 1 and very happy with it. I use it only for HT purpose .
If the sub is used for Stereo, I would put my money on REL.

Cheers.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back