This sounds silly but I need help with an i-pod classic

trittya

The PUNJAB (whats left of it) & Delhi, India
Greetings to all from Darjeeling.
well, I bought a 160 gb i-pod from delhi for 12.5 k for my music collection before it goes off the shelves as apple has reportedly ceased production thereof. My queries:-
*How do I get the ipod to show my music collection. I copied about 10 gb music into it like a normal hard drive. It shows that much space taken but still shows 'no music' in the music menu. Help.

*How do I use i-tunes to make the music play?

*I want to know which formats other than apple lossless are compatible with an ipod eg flac, wav, wma, ogg, monkey etc and how does one convert music to a compatible format?

*which budget headphones sound best with i-pod?

*what must be ensured while using an external charger if one does not want to spend 1.5 k on an apple OE charger. I mean the voltage and current bit as there are so many chargers around. Its such a pain to charge it thru a PC every time.

Any help/advice would be highly appreciated.

AFAIK the music has to be synced to the Ipod using i tunes, copying like normal hard drive wont work.

Regarding budget headphones whats your budget, if you are willing to spend around rs 2000 then try SENNHEISER HEADSET HD408

If you want something for less than that go for Sennheiser pmx 60.

Last edited:
Paaji
You have copied songs ih Hard Disk partition Of an ipod.
Brand new ipod has one Hard Disk partition which functions like external hard drive, when ipod directly connected to pc,
You can store ANY files like USB drive , UNFORTUNATLY you cannot acess songs to play.

IPOD IS EXCESSIVLY CLOSED MACHINE. ( In the past I bought and sold ipods incl classic and touch 4 times!I hated those restrictions, again need to use itunes for apple airport express!) Only way ( there may be workaround) to transfer music is through itunes.
Apple want to use their formats and their software ,also to BUY music on itunes so there are restrictions

So

1)Download I tunes
2)Locate all your music preferably in one folder
3)Read instructions how you want to connect ipod first time ( I call it i-suhag ipod suhaag raat)
4)Connect ipod
5)You can change internal folder size after formatting it. IF YOU WANT TO USE ALL I60 GB FOR MUSIC MAKE EXTERNAL DRIVE FOLDER TO MINIMUM.
6)It is advisable to update ipod software
7)READ INSTRUCTIONS AGAIN
8)Transfer songs through itunes
9)VIDEO TRANSFER IS TOUGHER TASK Online help and free software to convert video available.
10) You can tag music add artwork too. There are some good utilities available.

Tiresome that is why I sold those 4 esp I found video conversion tedious

WORKAROUND-

YOU WILL LOVE STRAIGHT TRANSFER LIKE ALL OTHER MEDIA PLAYERS DO. That connect through USB, it recognizes as ext drive ,dump music and listen right?

THERE IS A SOFTWARE CALLED ROCKBOX WHICH JAILBREAKS IPAD ,or remove many/all restrictions.

1)Last seen it cannot be used upto ipod generation 5.5 . I suspect your 160 GB is GEN 6 ( The gen info available on net.) I SUFFERED WITH SAME PROBLEM YEAR BACK.
2)I DO NOT know any problems happens in installation. Also DO NOT know whether warrantee is still valid , or if one can ROLEBACK ipod to original state.
3)Any BRICKING issues I do not know ,HOW TO UNBRICK I dont know
4)POINT 2 &3 Info may be available on net
5)JAILBREAKING AT READERS OWN RISK
6)ANY OTHER SOFTWARE THAN ROCKBOX THERE SHOULD BE .Iwas not able to find

My suggestion

1)Collect flac
2)Convert all flac to ALAC Utilities available
3)Put in Itunes Tag Rename add Thumbnails
4)In future buy a device which take digital source from ipod and connect it to dac ( IN FUTURE) Currently it is made by Wadia,Onkyo and Teac. It is expensive but prices are falling.Add a DAC.

ENJOY!!!!

EXPERT PLEASE ADD ,ALSO CORRECT IF ANY ERRORS ARE THERE!

Hemantwaghe Ji, very well said and detailed explanations as well - thanks.

Couldn't agree more on the "restrictions"; wish the folks at Cupertino give users some flexibility?

However, having used iRiver, Cowon and other MP3 players, somehow I still prefer the iPod (own iTouch 8GB, iPod Video 80GB, iPod Classic 160GB and iPhone 3GS 16GB).

Word of caution on iPod Docks, my Arcam rDock does NOT play video but accepts audio from ALL models of iPods; my JBL On-Time too accepts audio from the entire iPod family. However, Wadia 170i does NOT recognize iPod Classic 80GB, haven't tried the iPhone yet. So also, rDock is great considering it does NOT require external DAC. However, teamed with a good external DAC, the Wadia 170i is simply marvelous.

Of course, these my own personal opinions; others may certainly differ. Good luck.

Regarding budget headphones whats your budget, if you are willing to spend around rs 2000 then try SENNHEISER HEADSET HD408
If you want something for less than that go for Sennheiser pmx 60.

Would happily recommend iGrado ==> Altec Lansing UHP-336 or ==> Klipsch Image S4 (S4 being first order of preferences).

As already mentioned in another post on this forum, the iGrado tend to sound "in your face" but rather more musical (IMHO). The UHP336 have more emphasis on bass while the S4 are simply the best overall, of the two.

Frankly, stock iPod earbuds are quite good as well that I wouldn't replace them unless really going much higher? Wonder if 2000 - 3000 range replacements will be any real VFM. Of course, these are my own views based on personal experience; others may differ.

Thanks guys. All very handy info. No, I'm not going to use the ipod for video at all. Doesn't make sense today when hard disks are so cheap. My laptop has again been subjected to a trojan attack(inspite of kaspersky av,imagine!), am reformatting it so havent been able to put all your advice to practice so far. Am accessing HFV on my mob handset till then.
Ciao till up&running. . .

First restore your ipod to factory settings. Then get SharePod which installs on the ipod itself. You can use this program to drag music to and from any windows pc. The only software you'll need.

Somewhat late to reply but you can sync with Winamp also.
For video use handbrake.
With itunes you can drag and drop music folders to ipod pane(shown on left side of itunes windows).
Earphones:MeElectronics m6 or m9.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back