Thonet and Vander SW10 subwoofer review

Really shocked to hear that you are not impressed with the pb 1000,almost all the reviews I have read is positive and I seriously doubt 2 sw10 can match the power of even a single pb 1000.Are you sure that subwoofer was not faulty,the room acoustics significantly affect the performance of the aubwoofer.I was planning to buy pb 1000 somewhere in the future as upgrade to sw10 for a real home cinema setup.

As I stated earlier, I do not know what was wrong. I am not ready to accept that it was room acoustics because only a handful go to the extreme of sonically prepping up the listening area. Secondly I was not getting any output from the sub even to make me think about the room. I do agree that there are a lot of factors in the room affecting tonal quality.

My 12 year old Altec Lansing sub never complained about placement....ever. Still happily using it with my Tuner in the living room.

In all probability as you say, it could have been a faulty sub.

After 2 days I got the Dali E12F sub - for a demo, and it was totally different from the moment I powered it on and even better after making a few adjustments.....Same room.

Last edited:
As I stated earlier, I do not know what was wrong. I am not ready to accept that it was room acoustics because only a handful go to the extreme of sonically prepping up the listening area. Secondly I was not getting any output from the sub even to make me think about the room. I do agree that there are a lot of factors in the room affecting tonal quality.

My 12 year old Altec Lansing sub never complained about placement....ever. Still happily using it with my Tuner in the living room.

In all probability as you say, it could have been a faulty sub.

After 2 days I got the Dali E12F sub - for a demo, and it was totally different from the moment I powered it on and even better after making a few adjustments.....Same room.
For me proper placement of subwoofer had made huge difference.Subwoofer crawl is a good way to find the place that could give best bass,the difference in quality was immediately noticeable it felt like the sub was twice powerful than before.Only issue is the longer cables and also the crawling part which is ultimately worth it.

Review made price go up :eek:-
German Engineered Wood Home Monitor Speakers - Thonet & Vander - SW10 1.0 - Deep Sound.: Amazon.in: Electronics
Whenever hifivision FM writs good review,seller take advantage [emoji38]
This won't help T&V. FMs wrote good reviews and price has gone up; and when price goes up one starts comparing with other Sub woofers, which are in the same price bracket or in slightly higher price bracket; this is actually counter productive. I still remember, 2 months ago we witnessed huge hype and hoopla over a 'single driver made in India floor-standar' but once dust settled and FMs came to know the price tag (over 2 lac), that hyped-up product quickly went into oblivion. Moreover, be it on Whathifi or on any reputed(!) forum, one has to take 'reviews' with pinch of salt.

Last edited:
are these good enuff for the 25k range btw ???

What this is a properly designed subwoofer priced at a budget price,already listen to a lot of songs and watched bluerays of Interstellar,maze runner and Fury Road,I plan to watch Bahubali this weekend, the 25 k price now is due to the fact that it is now out of stock and is a direct import from USA unlike before which was sold in India.One of the FM who bought this sub after reading my review got a damaged subwoofer probably due to the courier not being careful.The reason I posted the review here is because I was looking for a good budget sub for a year and posted many times in this forum and noticed that many also are interested in a good budget subwoofer.Is it worth more than it's price I definitely think so.I have asked many of my friends for their opinion just to make sure and all of them was amazed at the sw10 performance.I decided to take the risk buying this subwoofer no one has ever heard and turned out to be the best decision audio wise

I am on the verge of buying this subwoofer.
The only other ones I am considering in this price range are -
Pioneer S51W, Pioner SW-8MK2 and Polk audio PSW110.

The Pioneers looks to be small and under-powered. But, that about the Polk?
Seems to be similar powered and coming from an established brand.

Also, Pioneer S51W subwoofer is having 150W RMS power and goes down to 26 Hz as per spec and costs only 13k.
But I don't see any proper reviews of this sub. Can anyone comment on this?

Last edited:
I am on the verge of buying this subwoofer.
The only other ones I am considering in this price range are -
Pioneer S51W, Pioner SW-8MK2 and Polk audio PSW110.

The Pioneers looks to be small and under-powered. But, that about the Polk?
Seems to be similar powered and coming from an established brand.

Also, Pioneer S51W subwoofer is having 150W RMS power and goes down to 26 Hz as per spec and costs only 13k.
But I don't see any proper reviews of this sub. Can anyone comment on this?
If you are going for pioneer go for the sw8 mk2,it is Andrew Jones designed subwoofer and well worth the price according to reviews.Sw10 I highly recommend, I have been using it daily for the past couple of months.Punchy but not bloaty subbass great for both movies and music.s51 I don't think it has crossover that alone makes it a no buy

If you are going for pioneer go for the sw8 mk2,it is Andrew Jones designed subwoofer and well worth the price according to reviews.Sw10 I highly recommend, I have been using it daily for the past couple of months.Punchy but not bloaty subbass great for both movies and music.s51 I don't think it has crossover that alone makes it a no buy

Thanks..The Pioneer one is costing 22-23K which is way too high I feel given that it retails for less than $150 in US.
Has anyone here tried the Pioneer ones?

And since I have an AVR, won't it take care of the crossover setting?
Why do I need crossover setting in the SUB?

Is the Thonet sub front firing with a port? Where is the port located?
I am also curious to know about the placement of the subs and where we should place it for good sound? I do not like too much boom boom. Is it a problem if I place it near the corner?

Thanks..The Pioneer one is costing 22-23K which is way too high I feel given that it retails for less than $150 in US.
Has anyone here tried the Pioneer ones?

And since I have an AVR, won't it take care of the crossover setting?
Why do I need crossover setting in the SUB?

Is the Thonet sub front firing with a port? Where is the port located?
I am also curious to know about the placement of the subs and where we should place it for good sound? I do not like too much boom boom. Is it a problem if I place it near the corner?

Placement is entirely dependent on your room,there is a thing called subwoofer crawl,check it out in YouTube.Crossover limits the frequency that subwoofer need to use,for example if your speaker can go as low as 80hz,put sub crossover to 80-90hz,sw10 is front firing.

BIC is available from avenuesound.in.

I understand the purpose of a crossover adjustment.
Point is - if the AVR is already setting the crossover frequency for the sub and sending audio signals below that frequency, I don't see any need for crossover adjustment in the sub.
Plz correct me if I am wrong.

Where have you placed your sub? I am curious to know as you are so satisfied with it.

BIC is available from avenuesound.in.

I understand the purpose of a crossover adjustment.
Point is - if the AVR is already setting the crossover frequency for the sub and sending audio signals below that frequency, I don't see any need for crossover adjustment in the sub.
Plz correct me if I am wrong.

Where have you placed your sub? I am curious to know as you are so satisfied with it.

I use an integrated amp,I did the subwoofer crawl and placed it near the sofa

My old subwoofer gone kaput and now looking for budget sub. I am thinking to buy this woofer but not sure if it matches my yamaha HT setup. It is quiet old and i am planning to replace various components in coming days. Any advise on this and also seen lower pricing on ebay than amazon. Is it genuine T&V Sw10 available on ebay.

My old subwoofer gone kaput and now looking for budget sub. I am thinking to buy this woofer but not sure if it matches my yamaha HT setup. It is quiet old and i am planning to replace various components in coming days. Any advise on this and also seen lower pricing on ebay than amazon. Is it genuine T&V Sw10 available on ebay.

Yes, it is genuine. For more info you can contact Abhishek Kejriwal at 98310 22600. He is the owner of Overclockers Zone.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back