Thonet and Vander SW10 subwoofer review

krishtrinity

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg
Introduction
My knowledge of subwoofers are rather limited,but i have used many speakers to know that too much bass doesn't equate to good quality audio,that is one of the reasons i sold my speaker with 6.5 inch woofer to a fairly small montior audio Radius 90,it has a tiny 4 inch woofer.While the larger speaker had the advantage in bass it meant drowning out the rest of the frequencies while my current speakers are capable of amazing performance in the entire frequency range to about 90hz.The lack of bass was noticeable every time i played music and i started to look for a budget subwoofer.Living in India means it is very difficult to get a good budget subwoofer,checked almost every brand that sells in India and every single brand has made some kind of sacrifices.After a long search accidentally stumbled across the Thonet and Vander SW10 subwoofer which was amazingly priced at very affordable 15k(150$ in amazon US) which is less than the most affordable made in India Subs.

Build and Features

When it comes to build quality in a budget subwoofer,people naturally assume it will be average.So i didn't have any huge expectations in build quality but because it was made in Germany i was sure it was not going to be terrible,after opening the box i was shocked to see it had a very nice build quality.The 10 inch driver was made of aramid fiber and was secured to the box.I was not exactly sure if the box was made of wood or not,their website show it as wooden box HDAA.I have no idea what exactly that is,but it is defintely very good material.Coming to the back of the sub there was plenty of options to connect to amplifer or speaker.It had high level speaker input and output,low level speaker input and output(RCA),i had gone with connecting RCA because it was much easier than speaker wires.Other features are gain dial,crossover dial,phase control,you don't see this many feature in a budget subwoofer everyday.Only one negative thing i found is that the gain and crossover dial doesn't rotate very smoothly,doesn't know if it may cause any problem in the long run.

Performance

SW10 is rated from 30hz-180hz and i tried some subwoofer test tones to check the frequency response,the frequency roll off started from 35 hz-38hz which is respectable considering the price.Since my main use is for music listening 35 hz is plenty of power for me.For music i tried mainly rock,metal and EDM genre also some piano music by highly talented Ludovico Einaudi.The track "FML" by Deadmau5,the bass was so powerful that i was not able to move the gain dial more than quarted of the dial in my small room,there was no port noise and the subwoofer blended with my monitor audio Radius R90 speakers creating the feeling that the sound was coming directly from the speaker.The fact the subwoofer doesn't try to grab attention to itself is a sign that it is very good.My friend owns a sony HT system and the subwoofer constantly vibrates and boomy with music aswell as movies,it is rated at 400watts power and in theory it might look more powerful,but sony HT subwoofer is not even half as powerful as the 100w rated SW10.Next i tried some rock songs mainly from Steven Wilson,Radiohead,the drums and guitars benifited from the low end and it was a completely new experience compared to listening just with the speaker.My radius 90 has very fast and agile sound,the fact that the subwoofer can keep up with the speaker was more than i expected from a sub at this price point.Piano and Orchestra music Divenire was also a fantastic experience,when listening from the speakers alone while enjoyable,i always felt something missing.Now i know exactly what was missing,the scale and the bass of piano notes that is essential when listening to orchestra music.The more expensive subwoofers from svs,REL will undoubtably has way better performance than SW10 but they are several times more expensive.At this price i doubt there are many competition,heard the pioneer sw8mk2 while it has very good performance it lacked the low end power of the SW10,i have yet to try the Martin Logan dynamo 300 so the pioneer is the only competition i could find at the price.Coming to movies,i played the bluray of Mad Max Fury Road,and it was better than i imagined it would be,when i set out to buy a budget subwoofer.The amazing soundtrack by Junkie XL while with speakers alone are drowned by the explosions and action,but with the sub soundtrack was much more alive,the scene where the Immortant Joe is getting ready for chasing Furiosa the drumming by warboys was much more enjoyable,i never realized before how much the subwoofer was integral part of the enjoyment of this movie.

Conclusion
Overall one of the best audio related purchases i have made recently,wheather you are using SW10 for desktop use or hometheater use,the subwoofer delivered an amazingly competent performance for the price.I admire that the manufacturer Thonet and Vander has not sacrificed quality control of the subwoofer to sell the subwoofer at this pricepoint.I have yet to find any issues with the subwoofer and i plan to add a second subwoofer in the future.

Note:this is my first subwoofer review,although i have heard high end subwoofers before in my friends houses,this is my first time owning one.So if you find any mistakes please bring it to my attention.

Good review.

When is your subwoofer reaches its limit? Meant when are you getting sound distortion?

Good review.

When is your subwoofer reaches its limit? Meant when are you getting sound distortion?

I have not yet pushed the dial past half the gain dial,i can feel the sofa cushions vibrating at that volume with Madmax bluray.When I push it past 100hz crossover I think there is some distortion,I set it at 90 and there is no distortion to speak of,my living room is not made for home theater use and I definitely needs some room treatment ASAP.I got a Schiit modi DAC which is responsible for detailed punchy bass,when used directly connect to TV tuner the bass was a bit boomy and not that detailed

If i already have Floor Standers that can go as low as 35Hz, getting this subwoofer would make sense?

Yes,my previous monitor audio speaker go as low as 42hz,but the bass of that speaker is not even half as good.Unless your speaker could reach sofa shaking low this sub is definitely a good buy.It is always best to leave the bass to the subwoofer.Check of the YouTube channel of audioholics for more detail

Last edited:
Was watching Interstellar bluray today and watching with the sw10 simply blew my mind,it is silent during the talking scenes and when the action and soundtracks picks up man it was the best feeling ever.Beginning to wonder how 2 sw10 subwoofers will be like.Best part is I didn't even have to turn the dial halfway,definitely needs space to breathe to get the best out of this sub.Remember hearing the Polk 20k subwoofer in a audio dealership and I wasnt satisfied with it then,this is way better in my opinion

Was watching Interstellar bluray today and watching with the sw10 simply blew my mind,it is silent during the talking scenes and when the action and soundtracks picks up man it was the best feeling ever.Beginning to wonder how 2 sw10 subwoofers will be like.Best part is I didn't even have to turn the dial halfway,definitely needs space to breathe to get the best out of this sub.Remember hearing the Polk 20k subwoofer in a audio dealership and I wasnt satisfied with it then,this is way better in my opinion

Hmmm but as i said, my Floor standers are capable of 35hz, and yes i watched intersteller and all my windows, doors were rattling with these speakers only. Only problem is i have no idea if i am missing lower frequencies as you know i don't want to waste my money now if i dont get much difference as otherwise i would be saving and going for SVS Pb 1000 after 7-8 months.

If you can afford svs then don't bother with this subwoofer.You could buy 5 of this subwoofers for the price of one pb1000,I am using a stereo amplifier,for music this sub is more than enough.I will definitely upgrade to svs couple of years from now when I buy a av reciever

15k for a made in Germany subwoofer with a lot of features with good performance.Kind of rare in my opinion

If you can afford svs then don't bother with this subwoofer.You could buy 5 of this subwoofers for the price of one pb1000,I am using a stereo amplifier,for music this sub is more than enough.I will definitely upgrade to svs couple of years from now when I buy a av reciever

I can afford SVS but it will take time, like i have to save for months so i cant get my hands on it till almost end of 2016 as it gonna cost 45K but if this can really get the things going really good as compared to my floor standers bass then i guess 15K is not much.

I can afford SVS but it will take time, like i have to save for months so i cant get my hands on it till almost end of 2016 as it gonna cost 45K but if this can really get the things going really good as compared to my floor standers bass then i guess 15K is not much.
Curious, which speakers do you have?
For HT, in my opinion, a subwoofer can make a HUGE difference. For me, more than the sound, the pure impact that a sub produces during action scenes etc is what i love. During explosions, crashes, gunshots etc, you are hit with a physical force which makes the whole experience immersive in my experience

For HT, in my opinion, a subwoofer can make a HUGE difference. For me, more than the sound, the pure impact that a sub produces during action scenes etc is what i love. During explosions, crashes, gunshots etc, you are hit with a physical force which makes the whole experience immersive in my experience

Yamaha Ns-8390 left right pair, i get good bass in explosions (on high volume) as my room is only 11 X 12 ft but not like heart thumping bass that you feel in the chest. ANd if spending just 15K for this sealed sub will make huge difference then i will go for it and will buy SVS when i get a bigger room in an year or so. But my another concern is this sub is sealed and i guess for movies ported one is better no?

Everything else being the same, ported ones may be able to go deeper. Again, this generalization may not apply everywhere.
I would suggest to wait before going for this particular sub. Good discussion is going on in another thread on this subwoofer. One man's food is another man's poison.
But hey, i found a used Jamo in your town - you might want to go see it and if you negotiate, you might get it for 12-13k
Jamo Sub 250 Powered Active subwoofer - Chandigarh - TV - Video - Audio

Yamaha Ns-8390 left right pair, i get good bass in explosions (on high volume) as my room is only 11 X 12 ft but not like heart thumping bass that you feel in the chest. ANd if spending just 15K for this sealed sub will make huge difference then i will go for it and will buy SVS when i get a bigger room in an year or so. But my another concern is this sub is sealed and i guess for movies ported one is better no?

This subwoofer is ported and will offer way better bass than your Yamaha speaker can handle.Upgrade your speakers before going with the svs subwoofer.Your yamaha is a budget tower speaker and will not go great with svs.You need to spend atleast 50k for a good set of floor standers.I wouldn't believe that a 18k tower speaker can properly go down as 35 hz while even much more expensive towers can't go that low.

You need a speaker that can handle rest of the fruencies well other than bass,Yamaha speaker has a boosted bass response which is a way to cover up the problems with rest of the frequencies.Bookshelf speakers offer better performance in under 50k price.
Demo qaccoustics concept 20 or B&W 685 s2 before you spend near 50k on subwoofer,speaker is the most important part of a HiFi system,subwoofer comes second.

Last edited:

I don't think SW10 with its 100w output can give out the physical force you described.I experienced the bass you described in one of my friends house.He also got a full HD projecter with a 7.1,think the entire price of his setup is a near 10 lakh anyway he got me into hifi.

This subwoofer is ported and will offer way better bass than your Yamaha speaker can handle.Upgrade your speakers before going with the svs subwoofer.Your yamaha is a budget tower speaker and will not go great with svs.You need to spend atleast 50k for a good set of floor standers.I wouldn't believe that a 18k tower speaker can properly go down as 35 hz while even much more expensive towers can't go that low.

I have tested these tower with frequency tests and all and they actually go down to 35-40 range. As i am satisfied with quality these towers offers i dont want to change it, just need to add sub to complete my setup and get that heart thumping bass in movies :D

Everything else being the same, ported ones may be able to go deeper. Again, this generalization may not apply everywhere.
I would suggest to wait before going for this particular sub. Good discussion is going on in another thread on this subwoofer. One man's food is another man's poison.
But hey, i found a used Jamo in your town - you might want to go see it and if you negotiate, you might get it for 12-13k
Jamo Sub 250 Powered Active subwoofer - Chandigarh - TV - Video - Audio

Thanks, i will have a look but as i dont know anything about subs, how good is this jamo? Like current price of new and compared to what other brands?

If you save up and buy a svs it might be your last subwoofer purchase for a long time to come.... they are that good.

If you buy this one .... the build quality looks great for the price on this unit also but sq might be not as good as svs surely.

If you save up and buy a svs it might be your last subwoofer purchase for a long time to come.... they are that good.

If you buy this one .... the build quality looks great for the price on this unit also but sq might be not as good as svs surely.

Yeah i know SVS is top notch, i will buy svs eyes closed without a demo as i have heard alot about them. Why i am looking for this is as i save for SVS which gonna take atleast 7-8 months, these entry level sub would give me some good quality over my existing FS so that i can easily get more time and save for a better SVS model :D or i should stay away from this and continue with my Floor standers only and wait 7-8 months to get SVS only.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back