Thoughts on Micca RB42 as the smallest passive bookshelves and VFM sound

Megmeg

Hello,
I believe the Micca RB42s are the smallest passive bookshelves with good sound for the price that I have found. I have not personally auditoined them and so am looking for thoughts from folks here. Please oblige.

Hi,
I haven’t heard these, but they have some good reviews online.
But before you buy, do keep in mind:
A thoughtful approach to selection of speakers, amps and music source appropriate to the room can bring very satisfying results. Take some time to research, audition, discuss, question before making your decision
it’s possible to get excellent value for money buying used and well cared for audio components at a fraction of the cost of something new.
This forum classifieds section is a good place for this.
Most of my equipment and components are preowned. You can sometimes get something at 3/4 or even half the price of it new.
The important considerations when starting to put together a audio set up are in my opinion ( not in any particular order) are:

-The kind of music you love and listen to
-Your listening space or room - the size matters as you can assess the amount of amp power and speaker size, design etc. (I have bought speakers and amps that sounded overwhelming in my small room and regretted)
- The budget you are able to allocate for this.

If you are comfortable sharing this, you may get some good suggestions from those who have traveled this road before 🙂

Do try to visit nearby FM who can invite you to listen and learn a bit about what kind of sound pleases you, or leaves you unimpressed.
You are welcome to visit my place for a listen. Do bring a friend or another FM
There are some Audio showrooms in the city where you can audition different set ups. (Search this forum topics for more details and discussions on these)

Hi,
I haven’t heard these, but they have some good reviews online.
But before you buy, do keep in mind:
A thoughtful approach to selection of speakers, amps and music source appropriate to the room can bring very satisfying results. Take some time to research, audition, discuss, question before making your decision
it’s possible to get excellent value for money buying used and well cared for audio components at a fraction of the cost of something new.
This forum classifieds section is a good place for this.
Most of my equipment and components are preowned. You can sometimes get something at 3/4 or even half the price of it new.
The important considerations when starting to put together a audio set up are in my opinion ( not in any particular order) are:

-The kind of music you love and listen to
-Your listening space or room - the size matters as you can assess the amount of amp power and speaker size, design etc. (I have bought speakers and amps that sounded overwhelming in my small room and regretted)
- The budget you are able to allocate for this.

If you are comfortable sharing this, you may get some good suggestions from those who have traveled this road before 🙂

Do try to visit nearby FM who can invite you to listen and learn a bit about what kind of sound pleases you, or leaves you unimpressed.
You are welcome to visit my place for a listen. Do bring a friend or another FM
There are some Audio showrooms in the city where you can audition different set ups. (Search this forum topics for more details and discussions on these)
Thank you for the recommendations and the invite. I have been auditioning around stores, but rarely the one I am looking for is available. I am looking for a desktop setup in a smallish study, so nearfield and also something with a warm signature. I am looking for speakers around 15k. I know I will have to invest on an amp as well.

Please feel free to share your recommendation for my case. Thanks much!

Better others with experience on desktop set -ups advice as I don’t.
But I would suggest you also consider powered speakers as well.

Last edited:
Here is a bit about the Micca RB42

Thank you for the recommendations and the invite. I have been auditioning around stores, but rarely the one I am looking for is available. I am looking for a desktop setup in a smallish study, so nearfield and also something with a warm signature. I am looking for speakers around 15k. I know I will have to invest on an amp as well.

Please feel free to share your recommendation for my case. Thanks much!
Within budget of around 15k, i would suggest to look at these options considering your looking for nearfield speakers.
1. JBL 104 Studio Monitor - https://amzn.to/3QumOGD
2. M-Audio BX3BT / BX4BT
3. PreSonus Eris 3.5BT / 4.5BT
4. Mackie CR3X/CR4X

All the above mentioned options are available on Amazon & i'm sure many of FM on this forum might vouch for these any day.
Another factory to consider these days is after sales service on these products, once you start using them it should be lot easier for you to get them serviced if needed, end of the day its all about the overall experience you receive with the brand & not only initial monetary value.

Within budget of around 15k, i would suggest to look at these options considering your looking for nearfield speakers.
1. JBL 104 Studio Monitor - https://amzn.to/3QumOGD
2. M-Audio BX3BT / BX4BT
3. PreSonus Eris 3.5BT / 4.5BT
4. Mackie CR3X/CR4X

All the above mentioned options are available on Amazon & i'm sure many of FM on this forum might vouch for these any day.
Another factory to consider these days is after sales service on these products, once you start using them it should be lot easier for you to get them serviced if needed, end of the day its all about the overall experience you receive with the brand & not only initial monetary value.
Yup, Presonus is my second option!

@Megmeg , as discussed in conversation, I have share the contact number where I heard Micca RB42. I got his contact thru olx and have bought velodyne impact 12 and Jamo C60 center.
RB42 is good for it's size and price, for clean sounding you can explorer more, based on budget.

@Megmeg: Given your desktop, nearfield listening requirements and budget, do purchase the Sonodyne PM4040 active/passive speakers, if you haven't bought anything yet. Since you won't have to invest on an amp, you may be able to extend your budget a little beyond 15k. They blow Presonus etc. to smithereens imo. I don't know what is "warm" for you, but these speakers measure reasonably flat according to Sonodyne's provided graphs; they have crisp, clean sound through their frequency range and from all I've heard on them, they have very good instrument separation, detail and clarity, especially at the price point, but even otherwise.

You can buy here: https://www.amazon.in/Sonodyne-PM4040-Passive-Computer-Mastering/dp/B0B7NKLR5R/
Can check more details here: https://sonodyne.com/category/studio/studio-monitors/pm-series/pm-4040

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back