Thread on Hypex NCore amps

I had ordered both but now when it came in for delivery, Rupee hit an all time low; so abanabandoned the plan. If anyone wants I can import it against my order.

I thought order priority was assigned by Hypex only against payment?

You are absolutely correct. I had ordered two amps on 2nd March and was dillydallying because of two things. One, the lead time was 18 weeks and second, I was in two minds whether to go in for linear power supply or for their matching SMPS. I was interacting with one Niels Buema. I had finally decided to go in for SMPS and ordered their SMPS also on 28th April. I have received a mail on 15th May which I'm quoting below: -

Dear Rajesh,

Your orders 9021 and 9381 has not been paid yet.

If we receive your payments on time we can ship them out next week.

Kind regards,

Niels Burema

Production manager

I received another mail on 26th which again I'm quoting below:-

Dear Rajesh,

We have still two orders open. When did you have paid them by a bank wire?

If you lime you can also go for payment by credit card or Paypal. Please let me so I can change your two orders.

Best regards,

Jan-Peter

Sadly, I've decided not to take it up now as the INR is at rock bottom. I'll buy it against my order for anyone interested. Let me know

Sadly, I've decided not to take it up now as the INR is at rock bottom.

In March the exchange rate would have been around Rs.65 to 1 and now it's around Rs.70 to 1. That's a difference of Rs.1500 for the NC400. That's not too bad at all. Now go make that payment :D

In March the exchange rate would have been around Rs.65 to 1 and now it's around Rs.70 to 1. That's a difference of Rs.1500 for the NC400.
You did only part calculation. Full calculation is given below: -

Order No. 90XX
2 x NC400 = Euro 650.00
(@E 325/ piece)
Shipping 21.20
Total 671.20

Order No. 90XY
2 x SMPS600 = Euro 360.00
@ E180/ piece
Shipping (Inclusive)
Total 360.00
Sum total 1031.20
Customs 309.56
(Approximately 30%)
Grand total 1340.56

@70/Euro conversion = 93839.20
@65/Euro conversion = 87136.40
Difference 6702.80

Actually, I could've still bought it but, I need about 8.5L for finalising my project. That's why dropped the plan for now. I may have to also offload the AP Pre and power and may be some more stuff for the same reason.

Last edited:
I was in two minds whether to go in for linear power supply or for their matching SMPS. I was interacting with one Niels Buema. I had finally decided to go in for SMPS and ordered their SMPS also on 28th April.

Rajesh, I would recommend first trying a linear power supply before spending money on SMPS. I tried replacing my SDS 254's linear supply with Connex Electronics SMPS800R and it sounded bloody awful. Needless to say it is eating dust in my junk box.

On a side note, do pls let me know if you are selling your CDA module :D

Last edited:
8.5K? Typo?
Yes, that was a typo, corrected, thanks for pointing it out.:eek:
Rajesh, I would recommend first trying a linear power supply before spending money on SMPS. I tried replacing my SDS 254's linear supply with Connex Electronics SMPS800R and it sounded bloody awful. Needless to say it is eating dust in my junk box.

On a side note, do pls let me know if you are selling your CDA module :D

You are right regarding SMPS in general but here, the designer is the same and he recommends the SMPS. The linear supply would cost more than the SMPS. In anycase, I'm not going in for these in the near future.

Regarding the CDA module, hmm let me think. I had even got the case made through Sound Foundations with provision to control gain through LDR.

Yes it'sa bit pricey, especially when you add on the other bits and pieces to it-hardware, cab, etc. Doesn't a single SMPS support two channels, in dual mono(post 68)? Unless you planned monoblocks-230 odd euro per smps, incl duty is a bit pricey.

I love my Hypex UcD 180 and this must be significantly better, going by what people are saying about it.

Capt
I use 2 UcD 180's with one smps. Believe me the smps are really great. They are designed specifically for audio...the switching frequeny noises are addressed. The NCores are even better and if they recommend smps then go for it. I still blv one would do..

My 2 cents on this..

Peace
Jetlag

Doesn't a single SMPS support two channels, in dual mono(post 68)?
I still blv one would do.

I had corresponded with them regarding using single SMPS instead of two and then had decided to go in for two SMPS, one for each channel. Im reproducing the correspondence below.

My mail:

Van: Capt Rajesh PMK [mailto: [email protected]]
Verzonden: maandag 5 maart 2012 12:58
Aan: Niels Burema [Hypex Electronics bv]
Onderwerp: RE: Hypex Webshop Order confirmation

Dear Niels Burema,

Thank you for ultra fast response. For sending remittance abroad via wire transfer, I need to obtain a proforma Invoice from the seller. I request you to send me separate proforma Invoices for each of the following items (each of them listed in separate invoices.)

1. NC400 - Qty 2

2. SMPS600 - Qty 1

Hope the SMPS600 power supply would provide sufficient current for driving two NC400 amps.

Thank you,

Best regards

Rajesh

Their reply:

--- On Mon, 3/5/12, Niels Burema [Hypex Electronics bv] <[email protected]> wrote:

From: Niels Burema [Hypex Electronics bv] <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Hypex Webshop Order confirmation
To: "Capt Rajesh PMK" <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, March 5, 2012, 12:02 PM

Dear Rajesh,

Just place the SMPS600 in a new order on the webshop, then it will be 2 seperate invoices.

You can always try with 1 SMPS first and if you need more power you can buy a second one.

Kind regards,

Niels Burema
Production manager

My mail:

Van: Capt Rajesh PMK [mailto:[email protected]]
Verzonden: maandag 5 maart 2012 15:32
Aan: Niels Burema [Hypex Electronics bv]
Onderwerp: RE: Hypex Webshop Order confirmation

Dear Niels Burema,

Thank you for the reply. Since you are implying that the SMPS600 MAY not be sufficient to drive both the NC400 amplifier modules, it would be prudent for me to order two power supplies but that would be a stretch for me financially speaking. Can I make my own linear power supply board with conventional R Core or Toroidal transformer?

Looking forward for your guidance on the matter.

Regards

Rajesh

Their mail:

Dear Rajesh,

Well the SMPS600 can deliver 600W, so that is 300W per NC400 and not the full 400W. What kind of speakers are you using? Maybe I can check if this is sufficient or not.

If you want to create the same power handeling and sound quality by making your own linear power supply with toroidal transformer of minimal 800VA you pay more then the costs of the SMPS600.

Kind regards,

Niels Burema
Production manager

If you want to create the same power handeling and sound quality by making your own linear power supply with toroidal transformer of minimal 800VA you pay more then the costs of the SMPS600.
Not true in India. Maybe true in the Netherlands.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back