Three Queries

Until last week, clearaudio audition was possible in mumbai courtesy malvai.
Now he has sent everything back to del. If you ever plan to visit, check his rig in his signature n then pm him.

>>>

entsurgeon,

Thank you for the update, and it would be foolish not to take up an offer to audition the system (outstanding, but of that later) that Manav has. I diligently pm-ed Manav and he very generously and graciously asked me to come over.

I took two 33 1/3 records (a Ravi Shankar-LSO conducted by Andre Previn record and a Rabindra Sangeet Seasonal Songs of Tagore record) for 'auditioning' Manav's Clearaudio Ambient on the 21st. The output from Manav's rig was extremely enjoyable and Manav took the pain to utilise not only his Lyrita valve amp but also his Nighthawk solid state amp to highlight the slight differences in quality (clean vs richer and so on).

I will try to audition an SME, a Kuzma and if I can go to Bangalore, a Scheu ( Manav told me about it and I lost no time to find out all about Schue yesterday).

A thoroughly enjoyable and illuminating evening for me. Thank you Manav.

Regards, analogue is magic

>>>

entsurgeon,

Thank you for the update, and it would be foolish not to take up an offer to audition the system (outstanding, but of that later) that Manav has. I diligently pm-ed Manav and he very generously and graciously asked me to come over.

I took two 33 1/3 records (a Ravi Shankar-LSO conducted by Andre Previn record and a Rabindra Sangeet Seasonal Songs of Tagore record) for 'auditioning' Manav's Clearaudio Ambient on the 21st. The output from Manav's rig was extremely enjoyable and Manav took the pain to utilise not only his Lyrita valve amp but also his Nighthawk solid state amp to highlight the slight differences in quality (clean vs richer and so on).

I will try to audition an SME, a Kuzma and if I can go to Bangalore, a Scheu ( Manav told me about it and I lost no time to find out all about Schue yesterday).

A thoroughly enjoyable and illuminating evening for me. Thank you Manav.

Regards, analogue is magic

you are most welcome!

@malvai
I presumed "everything you own was transported to the capital"
Seems you spared everything your life depends on from shifting. :p

had to delay the moving by a few days bro.

will happen tomorrow though... :sad:

That means NO MUSIC at home for the next month or so, until i get the UPS, dedicated power-line etc sorted...

>>>

Auditioned an SME in Poona yesterday.

Although the set up (referred to below) wasn't in my sights at all budget wise, I went to get introduced to the SME sound, at least in the overall context of the set up. I was expecting to audition the SME 20/2 but as a cartridge for it was not available, I got to audition the 30/2, which I gather is one of those reference turntables for audiophiles.

So here it is :

An SME 30/2, with a twelve inch SME tonearm, a Clearaudio Goldfinger cartridge, Audio Research's phonostage, line pre-amp & power amp, with Arabesque speakers by Crystal Cable.

I listened first to a Balsara/piano-Ghosh/harmonium Indian classical raag, then a Vishwa Mohan Bhatt -western combo, then a West African vocalist combining rhythms & blues with soul (not certain) and finally to hammer in the difference between analogue and CD sound quality which even a dunderhead could make out, a Jim Reeves number (analogue recording, analogue mastering) in CD and analogue playback. Whereas the CD playback was overly smooth and 'rich', the analogue playback rendered a far greater range of Reeves' voice as well as better treble (could hear the violins clearly).

This was terrific indeed, not to mention the fact that all the records played made me feel that I was sitting right in the midst of a live concert, and could almost hear the intake of breath of the vocalists. The single impression that I took was the lack of any colour or smudging of the music by the system overall, and I am sure the SME had a big hand in it; a very neutral playback of the music as originally played and recorded.
Remarkable.

I had an interesting chat with the owner of the system.

Now to rob a bank:D

Regards, am hungry for more auditions

Last edited:
Wow. Its a table i have always lusted for. It would be nice if you can compare all the tables you have heard in one post.

What system do you have now?

>>>

prem,

I am still a greenhorn; have auditioned the Clearaudio Ambient ( courtesy malvai) and the SME 30/2 till date. I will not be able to isolate the contribution of the turntable + tonearm from the overall impression that I get/take away. But both my experiences have been unforgettable, in the way analogue sound quality has been presented.

Moreover I saw the SLS AMG, the Q7, the 325i, the earlier version of the XF in the course of my audition, which made my day. What more can one ask - the reference turntable of the audiophile and the latest supercar from Merc.

Absolutely.

As I said, on the look out for more auditions.

My system, a modest Hi-Q International is away for repairs and by the looks of it, might play second fiddle to a new one, playing my old 78 records. I love the sight of the spinning 78 records:)

Regards

Thanks Issigonis. I was asking for a comparison of the table/arm/cartridge combos you have heard. Not just the table in isolation. Did you hear the SME at Mr Shirkes listening room?

The reason i asked you is i have been considering vinyl mainly for Indian music. Since you auditioned Indian music at both these places, it piqued my interest. Does a high end set up sound very different on Indian music as compared to a mid level set up. Just the Arabesque speakers would be more expensive than all most all set ups in India bar a handful.

Last edited:
Thanks Issigonis. I was asking for a comparison of the table/arm/cartridge combos you have heard. Not just the table in isolation. Did you hear the SME at Mr Shirkes listening room?

>>>

prem,

I understand the point that you are making; however it will be difficult for me to isolate the sound quality of the turntable-tonearm-cartridge combo from the rest of the set up unless I audition the turntable-tonearm with another cartridge. Those permutations/combinations will be a stretch. :)
I did visit his listening room and it was very gracious of him to invite me over.

The reason i asked you is i have been considering vinyl mainly for Indian music. Since you auditioned Indian music at both these places, it piqued my interest. Does a high end set up sound very different on Indian music as compared to a mid level set up. Just the Arabesque speakers would be more expensive than all most all set ups in India bar a handful.

>>>

Precisely what was going on in my mind. Since I have auditioned a Clearaudio and an SME, I should audition a Pro-Ject to find out more. Let me see if that can happen or not. I plan to audition a Kuzma and a Scheu too.

I can only dream of the Arabesque; moreover with my inclination toward an all valve set up, I have to think of speakers designed for valves as the phono-line pre-amp -power amp piece will be all valves. Its a long road ahead for me.

Do keep me posted of your views and insights - gives me an opportunity to learn from the experts.

Regards

Last edited:
Not an expert on music but I guess Indian music gives more importance to melody and ragas. So vocals (Film or classical) would sound great on vinyl as they are generally in mid frequency range. As vinyl has no issues with midrange but only with two ends of fq. range (equilization). And that too a high end system can take care of.

more here ... Indian Classical Music: Tuning and Ragas

Addition : May be some music guru can elaborate.

Last edited:
Hi Issigonis

Are you planning to go to Bangalore to listen to Scheu? Where are you planning to listen to the Kuzma? Is it available in India?

Hi Issigonis

Are you planning to go to Bangalore to listen to Scheu? Where are you planning to listen to the Kuzma? Is it available in India?

>>>

I will go to Bangalore for the Scheu audition as I don't think there's any Scheu available in Bombay. Kuzma is here in Bombay with Nexus Audio (Khushroo Jilla). Am in touch with Jilla and may get an audition soon.

Regards

Not an expert on music but I guess Indian music gives more importance to melody and ragas. So vocals (Film or classical) would sound great on vinyl as they are generally in mid frequency range. As vinyl has no issues with midrange but only with two ends of fq. range (equilization). And that too a high end system can take care of.

more here ... Indian Classical Music: Tuning and Ragas

Addition : May be some music guru can elaborate.

>>>

hitensitapara,

The link is informative - thank you.
As to your observation about Indian music ( classical as well as popular) being primarily concentrated in the mid range, I seem to think too and that the western classical possesses more range of frequency [ the old rhythm -melody versus harmony-counterpoint thing].
However if a system, i.e., an analogue system can reproduce all of the bass and the treble that was recorded, its fine. I experienced that in the Reeves number yesterday.

Regards

That's right...or someone who listens to Indian film and classical music and has auditioned lots of system can explain the difference of Indian music on vinyls and CDs.
Regards

Its unfortunate but few hindi film music were not properly recorded/mastered on std. Systems so that any one frequency band was dominant in any track. Such tracks sound very bad on cds. However, such tracks sound better on vinyl even on mediocre systems viz a viz cds. And the gap widens with better systems.
As far as melody is concerned, if you havent heard lata rafi et al on vinyl, you aren t born yet.
Ps: if you need proof, get basant bahar lp and listen to pannalal ghosh blowing flute to lataji s croon mai piya teri tu mane ya na mane

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back