Three Queries

>>>

The 20/12.

Wow!!!!

Looks very sophisticated. I am sure it would sound divine too, whether allied to 9 or 12 inch arm. So the next part of the quest would be to "divine" the arm and cart. Good going. As other folks have suggested, I think this calls for a 12 incher, and no less.
Joshua

Wow!!!!

Looks very sophisticated. I am sure it would sound divine too, whether allied to 9 or 12 inch arm. So the next part of the quest would be to "divine" the arm and cart. Good going. As other folks have suggested, I think this calls for a 12 incher, and no less.
Joshua

Buddy, the SME 20/12 sports a 12 inch SME 312S tonearm!

@Issignosis: how much is it costing you? Are you importing it or are you buying it off Cadence?

Last edited:
Wow!!!!

Joshua

Buddy, the SME 20/12 sports a 12 inch SME 312S tonearm!

>>>
Joshua, prem, malvai,

It is built like a tank and hopefully will be transparent.
You are correct. The 20/12 is with the twelve incher; it comes with the 312S but you can also opt for the V 12. I am thinking of the V 12.

[/QUOTE]@Issignosis: how much is it costing you? Are you importing it or are you buying it off Cadence?[/QUOTE]

>>>

It is costing an arm and a leg either way. This is for a lifetime.
I've got pricing info from British dealers and 'basic' price from Cadence.
I've to accumulate the money( the hardest part) and start negotiations; whoever offers less wins. The flip side is I have to scrimp on the rest of the components, at least for a few years, before I recover my creditworthiness.

Me thinks Issi will go for a Lyra cart! I believe it mates with it like strawberries and cream.

>>>

Yes, am thinking of the Lyra (how did you know?:)). seems if I have two cartridges, then I've to opt for a detachable headshell in the V 12 plus there might be some fiddling when I change cartridges. I wanted the second ( less expensive cartridge) one for my 78 rpm. The pocket will decide.

Way to go Issigonis.

Thank you prem. Hope to hear the 938 soon at your place!

P. S. Off topic, but bought the complete set of Beethoven's symphonies ( ADD cds by EMI) conducted by Furtwangler:yahoo: from Rhythm House.

Regards

Last edited:
>>>

Update :

I wanted to audition the SME, any SME, for exposure to the SME sound. Although the junior SME, i.e. the SME 10 is said to sound different from its two brothers the SME 20 and the 30 respectively, I would like to audition any SME. The 20 in any of its variants - 20/2, 20/3 or 20/12 would do.

1. The dealer in Bangkok will get back to me once the 20/12 is in stock
2. The dealer in Singapore told me no audition and no price on mail. He seems to have picked up lessons from our us Indians in customer friendliness
3. The dealer in Jakarta doesn't have any SME in stock but will have the 20/3 soon.

So will audition the 20/3.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards

P.S. : Check out Haydn's London symphonies conducted by Sir Colin Davis. Terrific

>>>

Auditioned the SME 20/3 today, with the Series V ( 9 inch pick up arm) with a Dynavector MC cartridge - listened to Porgy and Bess and Quincy Jones.
The rest of the set up was an all McIntosh affair -integrated valve phono cum pre-amp and power amp, driving Thiel speakers.

Overall experience - very good.

Regards

>>>

Auditioned the SME 20/3 today, with the Series V ( 9 inch pick up arm) with a Dynavector MC cartridge - listened to Porgy and Bess and Quincy Jones.
The rest of the set up was an all McIntosh affair -integrated valve phono cum pre-amp and power amp, driving Thiel speakers.

Overall experience - very good.

Regards

Where was this? Of course the V arm was not in your initial list.
Joshua

>>>

Joshua,

This is in Jakarta. I contacted the dealer here and arranged for an audition.

My first choice remains the 20/12 with the V12 arm, with the Lyra Titan i cartridge. Next is the 20/3 with the Series V arm ( this is 9 inch). The twelve incher was not in my original list, but you know the insidious power of "feature creep", similar to scope creep in project management:).

Have requested the dealer to provide pricing info. The idea is to purchase from the most VFM dealer (haven't found any contacts with our scamsters to finance this purchase:sad:).

Regards

>>>

Update on my original query :

#1 : My existing Philips Hi-Q International Stereo System GF 932/11S
This comprises the 1. Record player ( 33 1/3, 45 & 78 rpm), 2. Amplifier and 3. Speakers duo cone

The problem that I have is that

i. the input socket for one speaker ( a 5 pin DIN 180 degrees) isn't working
ii. the 33 1/3 records play slower
iii. the rotary potentiometers for the balance, volume, treble & bass create noise
--------------------------

Sanjay Raut finally got back to me saying he will try to arrange germanium ICs (from Singapore) to address issue#ii.
Keeping my fingers crossed for a successful job.

Re. the planned hifi, am exploring the right amp-speaker combo. Have already shorlisted the electronics and the speakers. Crosschecking on the matching.

Regards

Hi Issigonis,

I too had the same setup and faced same problem :)
In recent past my GF932 (the amp) died.
Tried everything but nothing worked, no substitute for the original PT4, PT6. Even after repair the sound quality was bad. Nobody could properly bias those Transistors.

Solution: Look for vintage amp from the 70-80's with Loudness button. These amps compensate for the freq response from the full rangers(duo cone)
I learnt this the hard way after investing in Norge 2030.
To drive those duo cones, only sol is to go for the loudness feature in amp.
If you can get your hands on NAD 3020, that would be the best combination.

>>>

Joshua,

This is in Jakarta. I contacted the dealer here and arranged for an audition.

My first choice remains the 20/12 with the V12 arm, with the Lyra Titan i cartridge. Next is the 20/3 with the Series V arm ( this is 9 inch). The twelve incher was not in my original list, but you know the insidious power of "feature creep", similar to scope creep in project management:).

Have requested the dealer to provide pricing info. The idea is to purchase from the most VFM dealer (haven't found any contacts with our scamsters to finance this purchase:sad:).

Regards

who are these scamsters and how does the scam work bro?

Hi Issigonis,

I too had the same setup and faced same problem :)
In recent past my GF932 (the amp) died.
Tried everything but nothing worked, no substitute for the original PT4, PT6. Even after repair the sound quality was bad. Nobody could properly bias those Transistors.

Solution: Look for vintage amp from the 70-80's with Loudness button. These amps compensate for the freq response from the full rangers(duo cone)
I learnt this the hard way after investing in Norge 2030.
To drive those duo cones, only sol is to go for the loudness feature in amp.
If you can get your hands on NAD 3020, that would be the best combination.

>>>

meprateek,

I will inform Sanjay about the amp.
However, I have no plans for modding the system. Eventually I plan to sell-except for this, the rest is ok.

Regards

who are these scamsters and how does the scam work bro?

>>>

Was trying to explore connexions with Raja & Co.:D, to fund my proposed hi fi investment. No luck, no connexions.

By the way, I've to get a SUT as the gain in the phonostage section is 24dB ( which is not enough for a low output (0.5mV) MC cartridge. An all valve gain stage is noisy whereas an SS stage has an impact on sound quality.

Regards

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back