Time for another DIY Speaker project

Update: @kapvin has generously donated me the Dayton Aluminium Cone Woofers. Since they weren't available locally, I was reluctant to get into the 'Statements' project. Now that I'm getting them, I'm taking up the project in all earnest. Have already ordered the Titanium Midrange drivers. Now let me arrange for the boxes.

So, scanspeak midbass goes out ?
I bought the Scanspeaks on an impulse, having heard them once and getting enamored. Thus they don't go out. They go on the attic till the time I get matching high quality tweeters of the calibre of Revelator or Satori range. Then, they'll come out and I'll make smallish high-end Bookshelfs.

I bought the Scanspeaks on an impulse, having heard them once and getting enamored. Thus they don't go out. They on the attic till the time I get matching high quality tweeters of the calibre of Revelators or Satori range. Then, they'll come out and I'll make smallish high-end Bookshelfs.
Yes the Scan-speak drivers deserve hi quality tweeters, like the SB's Satori Range.

Update: @kapvin has generously donated me the Dayton Aluminium Cone Woofers. Since they weren't available locally, I was reluctant to get into the 'Statements' project. Now that I'm getting them, I'm taking up the project in all earnest. Have already ordered the Titanium Midrange drivers. Now let me arrange for the boxes.
excellent woofers, be careful of their propensity for ringing and sibilance. cross them 2k or below.

An update: The Dayton Woofers have been picked up from @kapvin by a friend. I need to get them packed by professional packers. Any pointers guys?
There is a box for each of them as shared in the photos. It’s not a perfect fit. (Box is a bit loose). But bubble wrap or foam should see you through. Enjoy.

It’s not a perfect fit. (Box is a bit loose). But bubble wrap or foam should see you through. Enjoy.
Going by my experience with courier guys, mere bubble wrap may not suffice IMHO. Going by the pic, the excess gap at the top needs to be filled with a PU foam cut to the size ensuring that the foam surrounds are left free. Thereafter, both the boxes need to be packed in single carton with an inner lining of PU foam or thermacol, tightly packed. They then need to be couriered duly insured. That'll do the trick I guess.

Update:
My friend got it packed in double boxing and got it shipped through DTDC surface transport. I have got it insured to facilitate safe passage (hopefully). Keeping my fingers crossed.

Go active Captain :) .
Thanks for the suggestion @Kannan I do have a class AB six channel power amp designed by an enthusiastic DIY group called SJK which has one of our well known FMs as a member. Only, this active speaker front. Which particular active X-over do you suggest?

BTW, to reduce weight, I intend to go in for Birch Plywood. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestion @Kannan I do have a class AB six channel power amp designed by an enthusiastic DIY group called SJK which has one of our well known FMs as a member. Only, this active speaker front. Which particular active X-over do you suggest?

What will be your source or sources?

Translam - outer carcass of MDF [because, dense] - thickness: more than double of the innermost carcass, 1 mm - 2 mm of cork in the middle, inner carcass of 4 mm - 5 mm Plywood [because, stiff]. No need for Birch Ply!

You're welcome! :p

Edit: It's CLD - not Translam.

Last edited:
So one analogue, coaxial and one optical
The Streamer can take in one analog & one optical. It can thus do the job of a preamp.
IMG-20211004-WA0005.jpg
So I need to split the analogue out into three outputs I guess.
Translam - outer carcass of MDF [because, dense] - thickness: more than double of the innermost carcass, 1 mm - 2 mm of cork in the middle, inner carcass of 4 mm - 5 mm Plywood [because, stiff]. No need for Birch Ply!

You're welcome! :p
Complicated stuff this and may be beyond my capability. Any pointers who could do this in Mumbai?

Last edited:

As @keith_correa said above or if a interested in a more (experimental) method, can use the constrained layer damping (CLD) based cabinet construction and brace construction methods given here towards the end: https://www.somasonus.net/box-construction-methods

A method from above site: Box can be made of 1/4th inch MDF + 1/2 inch plywood with a layer of "special" CLD glue in between. CLD braces can be made out of 3/4 inch plywood joined together at the center with 2inch overlap (More details available at the above site). Weicon Flex 310M as mentioned in the above site is available at Rs 2200/310 ml bottle in India. Another option for glue, which I found out with the help of the owner of the above website is: https://mccoymart.com/buy/essr-bond-ms-40-600ml-high-modulus-sealant/
(I have a bottle of this glue in hand but yet to try out in an actual build) It is supposed to have similar properties as Weicon Flex.
The author of the above website has found through an extensive set of experiments that such a CLD construction (along with appropriate cabinet inner wall lining and driver mounting methods all given in website) significantly reduces panel resonances in the midrange band and can make audible differences in performance.

Thanks
Vineeth

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back