Tiny or Micro NAS option for Travel?

gobble

The synology DS419slim looks great with a 3.5" form factor but it doesnt have Wifi only Gbe.
I am unsure if Synology OS works with USB wifi adapters or not. Can anyone already owning Synology devices confirm?

My primary use is to avoid carrying a laptop and use it with my iPad in a peer-to-peer Wifi connection for viewing vacation videos backed-up and transferred from a usb micro-sd card reader plugged into the NAS ... I want to plug in an 802.11ac adapter for close to 1Gbps wifi using a SMB or Apple share. I typically expect to record 1TB or more of high bitrate videos per vacation...

Edit: I just realized I have a TP-Link AC750 wall plug router with Ethernet port so that solves the problem. However I want to understand how I can copy files from a usb card reader plugged into the NAS to the HDDs in the NAS using an iPad. So my question to Synology users is now this -

1. Does Synology allow the USB attached HDD or SDCard to be visible as a network share so I can transfer files from card reader to HDD via the iPad interface?
  2. The DS419Slim is not longer available - what are the alternatives?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes I have couple of 4TB portable HDD attached to my Synology DS214se and enabled sharing show up as regular shared drives. Mine is almost 8-9 years old and working fine, I guess new generation ones might have better features.

Does Synology allow the USB attached HDD or SDCard to be visible as a network share so I can transfer files from card reader to HDD via the iPad interface?

Yes, it could be mounted as a shared folder. And I think, you can automate the process, using Hyper backup, of copying files from SDcard to any folder on the NAS, so once you setup the process, as soon as SDcard is plugged into the NAS. I never tried this though.

Simpler the better. An external portable HDD is what I would carry. My synology from 2009 had both a USB and an eSATA interface and I could mount them as shared folders. Confirm the mount option with a USB stick first. But no point in lugging around a powered device, let alone a NAS, unless you plan to carry along more than 4TB.

There are portable portable hard drives with built in batteries and WiFi.
WD has a few models. Have you considered those?

Back