Tips for DIY room treatment

I have bass issues with some of the music I play. Needed help to understand what would I need to do to set it right. I have the left speaker in a corner. There is a corner wall about 10 feet in front of the left speaker. The right speaker does not have corner wall. However both speaker has a wall in the back. Please guide

Attachments

• IMG-20211101-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20211101-WA0005.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20211101-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20211101-WA0004.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20211101-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20211101-WA0003.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20211101-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20211101-WA0006.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 71
This gives a much better idea, bro.
Now I understand there is not much options to do proper floor to ceiling traps. Got it.
I don't know if you have tried these before, but just one last punt - if you don't mind; cos, again, no expert, but just saying - before you invest in material:
1. Thick, absorbent drapes for all the bare windows.
2. I think the panels on the rear wall (pic 3: '3rd rear left') should have already given you good results. If so, try thick drapes in front of the almirah also (or similar panels on the almirah doors).
3. Are your left rear and right rear aligned? If at all possible, can you align them to match and toe them in a bit towards MLP? This should help *a little bit, after* you have covered the bureau with a thick drape.

Try these and run audyssey once before you finally decide on treatment?
Regards
Well the foam panels are nothing great and will have very moderate impact on high frequencies. Have finalised in panels and locations to install them. Looking for assistance with accessories and materials. Mainly need suggestions on how to install them safely in the ceiling
The spaces in the slabs that has some stuff but other wise empty (seems to be), would it be possible to fill them up with rockwool? This is what I'd do if it were my room and the slabs could not be removed.
Yes I intend to. Planning to just wrap the rockwool on a cloth and put them on the slab.

I have bass issues with some of the music I play. Needed help to understand what would I need to do to set it right. I have the left speaker in a corner. There is a corner wall about 10 feet in front of the left speaker. The right speaker does not have corner wall. However both speaker has a wall in the back. Please guide

The lack of a corner on the right speaker may sound thin because it is not getting as much reinforcement from the wall in the midbass and bass range. If you could rearrange to have a corner on both speakers that might help or alternatively get a DSP and add mid bass/bass to the right speaker. Be aware this takes power and would put more stress on the right speaker than the left and hence it would be prudent to be careful with the volume in this scenario.

Well the foam panels are nothing great and will have very moderate impact on high frequencies. Have finalised in panels and locations to install them. Looking for assistance with accessories and materials. Mainly need suggestions on how to install them safely in the ceiling

Yes I intend to. Planning to just wrap the rockwool on a cloth and put them on the slab.

Great choice. I would personally not pack the rockwool too tightly or densely.

IMO for maximum effectiveness I would stuff the whole area with loosely packed rockwool (no spaces). Do make sure to make it "breatheable" and pack in fabric/cloth that allows air movement.

IMO for maximum effectiveness I would stuff the whole area with loosely packed rockwool (no spaces). Do make sure to make it "breatheable" and pack in fabric/cloth that allows air movement.
Ok how do u suggest we do it? Cause we get 2x4 panels that is 2 inch thick. How to pack them loose? Panels?

I am not aware how rockwool is available but glasswool (when I did my room) was available "loose" (or loose fill?) and not as a panel. I would go this route with rockwool as well as the panels are fixed in size and thickness and also are to densely packed for my liking.

I am not aware how rockwool is available but glasswool (when I did my room) was available "loose" (or loose fill?) and not as a panel. I would go this route with rockwool as well as the panels are fixed in size and thickness and also are to densely packed for my liking.
Ok thanks

Ok how do u suggest we do it? Cause we get 2x4 panels that is 2 inch thick. How to pack them loose? Panels?

Roxul Rockwool is are 2x4 panels which are 2 inches thick.

Rather than filling the gap with Rockwool why not have a removeable panel outside ?

Bass traps should have air space behind them to work better.
Imagine a 4 or 6" regular acoustic panel placed on the corner of the room.

Roxul Rockwool is are 2x4 panels which are 2 inches thick.

Rather than filling the gap with Rockwool why not have a removeable panel outside ?
Yeah I have that in mind as well. Thick 5 inch panel with 4inch rockwool slabs.
Bass traps should have air space behind them to work better.
Imagine a 4 or 6" regular acoustic panel placed on the corner of the room.
Yeah the corner bass traps will have air space. Also all the panels I will be installed will be having air space

One suggestion would be have as much air gaps possible where ever you can, like the area you pointed out.

Rather than filling them have them covered, but the frames of these panels also should have some air gaps.

Hi Ajith :)

Your room looks similar to mine. Trust me every room has bass issues. And it takes a way lot, than what can be done in a living room to solve them. Modern dsp is one easy fix if you ask me.

But I would recommend playing this track from youtube :

The ladies vocals have to be dead centre in the sound stage. So you have 2 options here :
1. Move your left speaker further into the room, away from your left wall, to reduce its boundary reinforcement to get the vocal at dead centre.
2. Move your right speaker forward and closer to your listening position, to move the vocal to the centre of the room.

Once you get the vocal at the centre, your imaging issues are solved. Now you repeat this same trick, pulling out your speakers from the back wall or getting them closer to the wall, to see if this addresses your bass issues.

In my room to get the lady at dead centre, my speakers are weirdly placed. They are not equidistant from my listening position, and their toe is also different. Their distances to walls is also different. So this gives you lots of options to explore where you like them the best. So all the best ajith :)

P.S : if you want me to look deeper into your bass issues, please send me a PM. I will need a lot of measurements though to understand your room. By the way i don't charge for this service, but will definitely cost you a few beers, because you are in hyderabad :D

Hi Ajith :)

Your room looks similar to mine. Trust me every room has bass issues. And it takes a way lot, than what can be done in a living room to solve them. Modern dsp is one easy fix if you ask me.

But I would recommend playing this track from youtube :

The ladies vocals have to be dead centre in the sound stage. So you have 2 options here :
1. Move your left speaker further into the room, away from your left wall, to reduce its boundary reinforcement to get the vocal at dead centre.
2. Move your right speaker forward and closer to your listening position, to move the vocal to the centre of the room.

Once you get the vocal at the centre, your imaging issues are solved. Now you repeat this same trick, pulling out your speakers from the back wall or getting them closer to the wall, to see if this addresses your bass issues.

In my room to get the lady at dead centre, my speakers are weirdly placed. They are not equidistant from my listening position, and their toe is also different. Their distances to walls is also different. So this gives you lots of options to explore where you like them the best. So all the best ajith :)

P.S : if you want me to look deeper into your bass issues, please send me a PM. I will need a lot of measurements though to understand your room. By the way i don't charge for this service, but will definitely cost you a few beers, because you are in hyderabad :D
Thanks a Ton. Since you are in Hyderabad..let me PM you.

Rockwool density for corner bass traps and panels? 100kg/m3 or 96? Fabric for front and back of the panels also not finalised. Please advise

FWIW, the panels on my front wall and ceiling use the Owens Corning fibreglass material with a density of 48 kg/cu.mt.
Hi thanks for chipping in. I am in serious thoughts now after reading about rockwool. Seems like there are lot of health risk involved and the person who is taking care of my room treatment is advising to go for polyester wool. So to you and other fm’s kindly advise what other materials can be used for corner bass traps and acoustic panels. Is polyester wool effective and good for room treatment? Even if it is 70-80% effective as rockwool I am fine

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back