Tips for DIY room treatment

My panels are completed and delivered.Fabric alone purchased from aural exchange. Rest all arranged by the builder. Connected to him through YouTube who happened to live nearby my place

Attachments

• 0A88E6D4-E69C-47E6-B4CA-311EE81B36C3.jpeg
    0A88E6D4-E69C-47E6-B4CA-311EE81B36C3.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 517F5D8A-9C81-483B-8996-BA1891B976C0.jpeg
    517F5D8A-9C81-483B-8996-BA1891B976C0.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 1EEF2744-7376-47FF-A6E4-4B84B12F02B3.jpeg
    1EEF2744-7376-47FF-A6E4-4B84B12F02B3.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 7B1F9661-9543-4EAA-A2B8-9F9E89E2E5B7.jpeg
    7B1F9661-9543-4EAA-A2B8-9F9E89E2E5B7.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 0FB5D344-9347-409A-AEB0-7450778814BC.jpeg
    0FB5D344-9347-409A-AEB0-7450778814BC.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 835CB2B7-660C-4DC9-A994-5B859E0C9B3B.jpeg
    835CB2B7-660C-4DC9-A994-5B859E0C9B3B.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 8E509D84-7FB3-4269-88AB-A625B22CAF3F.jpeg
    8E509D84-7FB3-4269-88AB-A625B22CAF3F.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 54
My panels are completed and delivered.Fabric alone purchased from aural exchange. Rest all arranged by the builder. Connected to him through YouTube who happened to live nearby my place

Wow congratulations,
What was the damage?

Looking forward how you will be placing them.

Wow congratulations,
What was the damage?

Looking forward how you will be placing them.
Thanks. Initial quote for panels if made with rockwool he quoted 24k but later I changed my mind to polywool which took the budget to 39000. The builder himself will be installing them later next week. Still I am quite ok with the budget cause the same if I went through professionals it would have costed me around a lakh for sure. I have made totally 16 panels all custom measurements to be installed in the first reflection points. Also 4 units of 2*4 panels will be installed in the ceiling.

Thanks me to looking forward. Hope my approach is somewhat effective. Cause wrong treatment also may mess up my room response.
This,
I had called the Auralexhange guy, I don't remember the name but he said if you are covering 70-80% or more room with such panels then it may affect and make it dead silent that you may not sit in the room.

But do take as many readings as possible with umik, and you are quite familiar with it so you can judge the performance before and after.

This,
I had called the Auralexhange guy, I don't remember the name but he said if you are covering 70-80% or more room with such panels then it may affect and make it dead silent that you may not sit in the room.

But do take as many readings as possible with umik, and you are quite familiar with it so you can judge the performance before and after.
You must have spoken to Ashutosh as he takes all the calls. I am installing panels behind and above my tv for dealing with SBIR. Front left and right first reflection points. Behind my MLP and ceiling. So this should only cover 60% of my room. Main concern for me is how effective this polywool is going to be. Cause it’s completely a blind buy with no technical data available. No details on the supplier or the manufacturer. Just the maker told he will arrange for polyester wool of 1800GSM since I specifically asked.

@ mods please merge this thread with the below

@Nikhil @captrajesh Please merge the threads

Many congratulations. Interested to read what you think of the sound before and after.
After a short session listening to music and few movie clips there is great improvements with the imaging and panning. Now I can clearly hear the separations from all channels.Highs feel more natural and soft. My room response in the LFE totally changed. To be honest my bass response is poor after room treatment. This I verified with both measurements and listening my regular test clips. I assume now that my upper mid and highs are treated to noticeable improvements the bass region is more dominant and affecting my room response. Now I need to plan and install some effective bass traps in the corner. Funny thing is my tv performance also improved with black panels above and behind the tv there is a lot of reflections controlled. I thought it’s just my imagination but me without asking anything, my wife also said the same. I am done buying any gears and going forward will be spending only on room treatment. Also planning to test a single sub and see if i like it better then dual subs. I preferred the bass before room treatment.

Last edited:
After a short session listening to music and few movie clips there is great improvements with the imaging and panning. Now I can clearly hear the separations from all channels.Highs feel more natural and soft. My room response in the LFE totally changed. To be honest my bass response is poor after room treatment. This I verified with both measurements and listening my regular test clips. I assume now that my upper mid and highs are treated to noticeable improvements the bass region is more dominant and affecting my room response. Now I need to plan and install some effective bass traps in the corner. Funny thing is my tv performance also improved with black panels above and behind the tv there is a lot of reflections controlled. I thought it’s just my imagination but me without asking anything, my wife also said the same. I am done buying any gears and going forward will be spending only on room treatment. Also planning to test a single sub and see if i like it better then dual subs. I preferred the bass before room treatment.
Hi L4S, congrats on the improvements.
Wanted to comment on the other thread earlier, but forgot.
Before installing bass traps, try removing the side and top panels beyond the first reflection points and see if the bass returns.
Then, second step, like you said, try the single sub....

Either might just work, without further need for corner bass traps...

PS: 100% agree with the point on TV reflections. (A fellow victim in a similar boat) :D

Hi L4S, congrats on the improvements.
Wanted to comment on the other thread earlier, but forgot.
Before installing bass traps, try removing the side and top panels beyond the first reflection points and see if the bass returns.
Then, second step, like you said, try the single sub....

Either might just work, without further need for corner bass traps...

PS: 100% agree with the point on TV reflections. (A fellow victim in a similar boat) :D
The thing is bass is not gone. I am having issues with time domain. Both subs are not integrating properly now. One thing I can experiment is try moving the subs or changing the direction of the drivers and test.

The thing is bass is not gone. I am having issues with time domain. Both subs are not integrating properly now. One thing I can experiment is try moving the subs or changing the direction of the drivers and test.
re-ran Audyssey, sir, after the panels were installed?

My room response in the LFE totally changed. To be honest my bass response is poor after room treatment. This I verified with both measurements and listening my regular test clips. I assume now that my upper mid and highs are treated to noticeable improvements the bass region is more dominant and affecting my room response. Now I need to plan and install some effective bass traps in the corner.
Is the bass tighter or sloppy? Actually the low end bass shouldn't get impacted much, it should be tighter and better. Bass corner traps should make things better.
Hope your room doesn't get too quite after all this, it would be unbearable to sit without any sound.

I am done buying any gears and going forward will be spending only on room treatment.
We shall see this, you might come home with a new subwoofer :p

Got it.
But could you not also see the room as new?
You'd probably have to run all your settings anew...

re-ran Audyssey, sir, after the panels were installed?
Yeah I have run audyssey again.
Is the bass tighter or sloppy? Actually the low end bass shouldn't get impacted much, it should be tighter and better. Bass corner traps should make things better.
Hope your room doesn't get too quite after all this, it would be unbearable to sit without any sound.
Bass is not sloppy but having phase issues. No matter what delay values I set I get dips. Will later share measurements and explain things clearly.
We shall see this, you might come home with a new subwoofer :p
Hahah no way. Actually given my low usage and low volume levels there is no point in spending beyond what I already have. So will be looking to spend only on room treatment. The quality of sound from speakers have improved so much after treatment. Now I need to work on integrating the mains and sub.

Dear Fm’s

I need guidance on treating my front stage for SBIR issues. Please find the images below my LCR are installed closed to a 65 inch tv below a slab. The highlighted part is where I can install 2-3 inches panels. Behind the tv also there is a 4-5 inches gap so I can install 2-3 inches panels. And also I want to install something on the bottom part of the slab as highlighted. Please advise what will be effective for SBIR. I don’t think regular foam panel is going to help
Is that a large mirror on the wall (picture 2)? I think this will reflect sound too.
Sometimes removing things can help with room acoustics. Or possibly installing a thick curtain to cover it at least?
You must have also done the basic hand clap test just to get a baseline reference of where you are starting from, and repeat as you add panels, furniture etc.

Is that a large mirror on the wall (picture 2)? I think this will reflect sound too.
That’s my Oled Tv :) And yes it’s the major culprit for SBIR issues I am having. After upgrading to 65 Oled tv only I started to get so many issues in my room

That’s my Oled Tv :) And yes it’s the major culprit for SBIR issues I am having. After upgrading to 65 Oled tv only I started to get so many issues in my room
This discussion may help:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back