To Bangalore FMs: Do you have a REL sub integrated into your 2-Ch or HT system?

Maybe I am putting the cart before the horse.
Should I borrow a mike and use something like REW and measure my room?
Is this how the LF game works?
Cheers,
Raghu

Wont the doggie pee on the subwoofer as well ? With 2 of them, it is a party.
Right now I have one sub in a corner-ish position.
Both my dogs sometimes go near it curiously but have not gotten adventurous.
This is why I feel just a replacement of that unit, with a "musical" single sub is relatively safe.
Cheers,
Raghu

Right now I have one sub in a corner-ish position.
Both my dogs sometimes go near it curiously but have not gotten adventurous.
This is why I feel just a replacement of that unit, with a "musical" single sub is relatively safe.
Cheers,
Raghu
Well, best of luck! A Rel or Rythmik is no onkyo and is expensive !

Should I borrow a mike and use something like REW and measure my room?
Is this how the LF game works?

You could do that, but it's not really going to be too helpful. I'd answer the following questions (based on room size and your usage):

1. Can it extend down as low as I want it to? Remember in-room extension is likely to be deeper for sealed as compared to both ported and as compared to it's own outdoor measurements.

2. Can it play as loud (cleanly!) as I want it to?

3. Does it have a reputation for accurate reproduction?

If the answer to the above 3 is yes, and budget permits, go for it!

Forget ported or sealed, stereo or HT, active or passive or any of that silliness. There is no such thing as a sub that's great for HT, but sucks for music. A great sub is a great sub, regardless of these factors.

One test is to play a sub at full range and play vocals and see if the sound is intelligible. if the drivers can reproduce it ( of course will not be as good as a regular driver) but the more it can articulate the more musical it would be.

Last edited:
One test is to play a sub at full range and play vocals and see if the sound is intelligible. if the drivers can reproduce it ( of course will not be as good as a regular driver) but the more it can articulate the more musical it would be.
Hmmm...
That is a experiment I can try with my new preamp.
It has a summed full range L+R output apart from mains.
Cheers,
Raghu

Very nice explanation.
Cheers,
Raghu
Basically the speed of the subwoofer should match your fronts, that's where the Servo scores.

In a similar situation, I'm currently building a pair of passive, Sealed, DIY subs with 15" drivers which will be driven by Crown XLS 2502 in low pass mode. Our fm @Naveenbnc is building them. Hopefully they match well with my Magnepan Speakers / Castle Knight Fronts for Music and Movies. You can consider this route as well, consider smaller drivers in case of space constraints, in my experience two subs give a more uniform and pleasing low end without the need to crank high volumes.
It should be finished in couple of weeks, I'll update the forum with results.

Basically the speed of the subwoofer should match your fronts, that's where the Servo scores.

In a similar situation, I'm currently building a pair of passive, Sealed, DIY subs with 15" drivers which will be driven by Crown XLS 2502 in low pass mode. Our fm @Naveenbnc is building them. Hopefully they match well with my Magnepan Speakers / Castle Knight Fronts for Music and Movies. You can consider this route as well, consider smaller drivers in case of space constraints, in my experience two subs give a more uniform and pleasing low end without the need to crank high volumes.
It should be finished in couple of weeks, I'll update the forum with results.

I reached out to REL support with my requirements and queries.
They suggested single T7/i or pair would be the best match for KEF R300.
Apparently, they test their products with some contemporary and popular speaker brands.
It so happens they do have KEF R300 in the test lab/zone.
The support representative was very helpful and explained in detail my options.
He said I'm in luck as the best match is the mid sized sub from their range.
So I do have the option of going one size low (pair recommended) or one size high (single or pair).
He also explained that going one series/family up or down is going to be a mismatch.
The S-series, he said are too fast for my current speakers.
The HT series is their newer line for affordable home theater.
It is comforting to talk to company reps even before a sale and get queries answered.

Cheers,
Raghu

Raghupb, in most cases, one sub is fine. I have owned the REL in the past. One was good enough. In REL, cross over as low as possible and increase vol accordingly. Pl remember bass is omnidirectional.

The S-series, he said are too fast for my current speakers.

https://www.data-bass.com/myths (See #3)

I sense marketing fluff and "feel goodiness" in your conversation with the REL rep. I also see audiophile BS in their "System Thinking" article about dual subs. Puts me off personally. YMMV.

Of course, their subs may still be fine for music and your needs. I wouldn't hold my breath for HT, though.

https://www.data-bass.com/myths (See #3)

I sense marketing fluff and "feel goodiness" in your conversation with the REL rep. I also see audiophile BS in their "System Thinking" article about dual subs. Puts me off personally. YMMV.

Of course, their subs may still be fine for music and your needs. I wouldn't hold my breath for HT, though.
Read the article in the link. I have to reread it a few times to understand it; some stuff flew right over :D
I personally felt good about conversing with a company rep; maybe it is how I function and relate to things/people.
Are you saying dual subs are not really required, it is just a trick to sell twice the volume?
Again, I reiterate, my requirement is to feel a bit of magic in lengthy music listening sessions.
HT is really not my thing; I love movies but for the real deal I go to the theater.

From what I have read (professional and user reviews), Rythmik, REL, JL Audio are the 3 names commonly bandied around.
I'm also looking for something that can be procured locally at a reasonable cost.
On local pricing/value, at present REL is the lead horse in the race. Let's see how the situation evolves.

Cheers,
Raghu

Here's my 2 cents.

Ideal situation :

You have already taken care of primary issues like acoustics and setup in your room. You already get pristine centre image and are able to place the other musicians in their own acoustical space in your soundstage. You already get nicely textured and layered bass with no overhang. This means that you have a well tuned audio setup and room. In such a scenario, a pair of subs will sound better than a single sub.

If you do not have a ideal setup like the above ( or about 80 % there ), you already have " bigger problems " in terms of basic fine tuning. This will mask the benefits of a pair of subs vs a single sub. If that is the case, do all this in a phased manner. Get one sub now.

Take your pick.

People running behind ideal solutions when they have basic setup issues is a common audiophile problem.

Here's my 2 cents.

Ideal situation :

You have already taken care of primary issues like acoustics and setup in your room. You already get pristine centre image and are able to place the other musicians in their own acoustical space in your soundstage. You already get nicely textured and layered bass with no overhang. This means that you have a well tuned audio setup and room. In such a scenario, a pair of subs will sound better than a single sub.

If you do not have a ideal setup like the above ( or about 80 % there ), you already have " bigger problems " in terms of basic fine tuning. This will mask the benefits of a pair of subs vs a single sub. If that is the case, do all this in a phased manner. Get one sub now.

Take your pick.

People running behind ideal solutions when they have basic setup issues is a common audiophile problem.

As of today, with my current gear, I'm happy with the sound.
It takes a bit of physical exercise pre and post listening, because I have to pull the speakers into the room.
But yeah, imaging and soundstage with just L+R is good. No worrisome LF problems or issues.
With the Onkyo sub engaged, there is a little more meat on the bone without messing up overall SQ.

Frankly speaking, right now what I'm going through is an "itch". Can I get more? Will it be worth it? Etc, etc
Should I scratch it or ignore it has run into 3 pages of discussion on the thread :p

Cheers,
Raghu

Are you saying dual subs are not really required, it is just a trick to sell twice the volume?

Nah. My problem was with some of the flowery description and the idea that somehow the need for dual subs is tied to the price of your mains. Silly and elitist, IMO.

The need for duals does depend on the space and EQ options. Sometimes, folks get lucky and 1 sub with EQ is enough. Sometimes though, its me with dual subs with ARC Genesis and still needing additional minidsp EQ to get to a somewhat acceptable in-room bass response ;)

On local pricing/value, at present REL is the lead horse in the race.

Fair enough on the pricing and the emphasis on local. I was more open to direct import, but I can completely understand if folks don't want to go that route. As for value for money spent, I'd still suggest auditioning the Rhythmik's as well. Good luck!

I have used single and dual Rel's. The way rel subs are designed, they are actually bass enhancers where they augment the bass of the speaker . That's why sub matching to the KEF may be important .
The theory is one good sub is better than 2 slightly inferior subs ! So better to have one really good one.
As prem mentioned, most people make the.mistake of a High crossover in order to "feel" it and go wrong. RELs are supposed to be kept at the 10db point of the speaker and then adjust the phase / position and volume to disappear.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back