To suspend speaker's from concrete ceiling for Dolby Atmos / Dts X..

I had got Taga Harmony Platinum TCI 100R ceiling speakers...Moving this post of drkrack from an other thread..

As discussed earlier, for now am planning to suspend the in-ceiling speakers from ceiling using chain links.. At the same time, am not really sure of how much bass i would be missing on height channels..

I'm sorry but that's not a good idea, they're IN ceiling speakers from the box, you're planning to install ON ceiling.

True.. Agreed..

I've seen many Dolby Atmos demo rooms in Hyderabad using in-ceiling speakers but, they're kept in the locally made enclosures at least.

Atmos speakers reproduces more of ambient sounds to give a immersive audio experience, I think a properly built enclosure is necessary to do justice.

Fair enough.. But here is a scenario that i had thought abt..

Right now using a not so good Onida satellite full range speaker for surrounds, which has very small enclosure like Bose cubes speaker.. After calibration, Audyssey set the crossover to 200 Hz..

When i suspend this speaker (without enclosure) from ceiling and do the Audyssey calibration, Audyssey would detect the lowest response of the speaker.. No idea what it would be.. So i thought i will use that Audyssey crossover point to sub for the ceiling speaker..

Am also tentatively considering an DIY enclosure, if the crossover is going to be too high.. Am still not sure..

But any idea on how much would be the lowest response in an Atmos track for height/ceiling speakers ?

Reached Taga Harmony support by e-mail asking for enclosure details, they confirmed that this speaker needs 38L of volume, they also suggested to use a minimum of 9mm thick walls.

Also they confirmed that suspending from ceiling without enclosure is a bad idea :eek:hyeah: @drkrack you are right..

Now 38L of volume..No idea on speaker build :eek:hyeah:

But, tried using Enclosure Volume Calculator - Subwoofer Box Calculator and keyed in approx values

Box Width = 18 inches, Box Height = 18 inches & Box depth = 9 inches, approx = 48L of volume..

The speaker dimension's -

Dimensions: 23.8 x 9.2 cm
Minimum Mounting Depth: 89 mm
Cutout Dimensions (D or H x W): 200 mm

I would prefer shallow depth.. Could some one help me with enclosure dimensions ? Should i go sealed (or) ported ?

Reached Taga Harmony support by e-mail asking for enclosure details, they confirmed that this speaker needs 38L of volume, they also suggested to use a minimum of 9mm thick walls.

Also they confirmed that suspending from ceiling without enclosure is a bad idea :eek:hyeah: @drkrack you are right..

Now 38L of volume..No idea on speaker build :eek:hyeah:

But, tried using Enclosure Volume Calculator - Subwoofer Box Calculator and keyed in approx values

Box Width = 18 inches, Box Height = 18 inches & Box depth = 9 inches, approx = 48L of volume..

The speaker dimension's -

Dimensions:23.8 x 9.2 cm

Minimum Mounting Depth:89 mm

Cutout Dimensions (D or H x W): 200 mm

I would prefer shallow depth.. Could some one help me with enclosure dimensions ? Should i go sealed (or) ported ?

38 l seems to be high volume , but no comments coz It is manufacturer recommendations,I just calculated based on the volume , preferring a square box , it can be 20" x 20" size (internal dimensions)and the depth shall be 6" . I'm just guessing that more depth gives more bass hence 6" depth should be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

38 l seems to be high volume , but no comments coz It is manufacturer recommendations,I just calculated based on the volume , preferring a square box , it can be 20" x 20" size (internal dimensions)and the depth shall be 6" . I'm just guessing that more depth gives more bass hence 6" depth should be good.

Thanks.. Me too not sure..I will also send a PM to FM @HariIyer , who builds speaker's to collect his inputs on dimensions & enclosure..

Good Morning HFV Forum members, I'm just creating this thread for the members to share their experience of having dual or multiple subs. Globally many forums suggest about having multiple subs. This thread should benefit the other members who are looking for the same. ?.
Thanks.. Me too not sure..I will also send a PM to FM @HariIyer , who builds speaker's to collect his inputs on dimensions & enclosure..
Yeah it's good idea to ask him...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Alternatively you can visit nearest car audio installers, they'll be able to guide you with enclosures since they do it quite often. It shouldn't cost more than 1k for good enclosure.
They'll most likely be having the enclosures ready for you to install the drivers.

Get the hinges from local hardware shops, get it fixed on the box so you can easily mount it to ceiling. I'd prefer hinges similar to TV Wall Mount so you can angle it the way you want to get the best experience. Time for you to go shopping again [emoji6][emoji6]
BTW thanks for the info, you've saved so many people from buying the in wall speakers blindly for Atmos experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you hang the speakers on ceiling, make sure to put secondary safety harness on speakers as precaution. In case of earthquake or speaker falling off, it will save someone's life.

Alternatively you can visit nearest car audio installers, they'll be able to guide you with enclosures since they do it quite often. It shouldn't cost more than 1k for good enclosure.
They'll most likely be having the enclosures ready for you to install the drivers.

Sure.. Will check them..

Get the hinges from local hardware shops, get it fixed on the box so you can easily mount it to ceiling. I'd prefer hinges similar to TV Wall Mount so you can angle it the way you want to get the best experience.

Sure.. Will evaluate options..

Time for you to go shopping again [emoji6][emoji6]

Yup..Didn't expect the enclosure thing..

BTW thanks for the info, you've saved so many people from buying the in wall speakers blindly for Atmos experience.

You mean hanging without enclosure :eek:hyeah:

I have seen the images of open baffle speakers, so thought why not suspend the in-ceiling like that from concrete ceiling.. Finally, the idea bombed :eek:hyeah:

When you hang the speakers on ceiling, make sure to put secondary safety harness on speakers as precaution. In case of earthquake or speaker falling off, it will save someone's life.

Didn't think of this..Sure..Will ensure proper precaution while mounting..

Sir for my 550 sq feet ht room i want to add second subwoofer i already have sw10 taga harmony will tsw200 a good choice also we should use y cable with left right input or should use only single subwoofer cable

Update : Got the ceiling speaker enclosure done by car audio installers..

Many thanks to FM @Hariiyer who helped me with speaker dimensions..

I juz passed his dimensions to get the enclosure done..

Made of 12mm MDF, Recron polyfill, M8 speaker mount provided on all for sides and Walnut colour choice..

Cost me 3K to make these enclosure..

5fb43635f30fbc3ef942a2511088be3f.jpg

2aba481c36068080c2f605fc878fbca1.jpg

The speaker enclosure is much bigger than i had imagined [emoji5]

Last edited:
Update : Got the ceiling speaker enclosure done by car audio installers..

Many thanks to FM @Hariiyer who helped me with speaker dimensions..

I juz passed his dimensions to get the enclosure done..

Made of 12mm MDF, Recron polyfill, M8 speaker mount provided on all for sides and Walnut colour choice..

Cost me 3K to make these enclosure..

5fb43635f30fbc3ef942a2511088be3f.jpg

2aba481c36068080c2f605fc878fbca1.jpg

2aa944d8ff4eeddf9fd5912e20edf20c.jpg

The speaker enclosure is much bigger than i had imagined [emoji5]
Awesome looks, post pics of speakers mounted on the ceiling, and position wrt listening area.
Enjoy

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Awesome looks, post pics of speakers mounted on the ceiling, and position wrt listening area.
Enjoy

Thanks.. Sure..

Hari had mentioned that it is Golden ratio (sealed) enclosure..

Here are the external speaker dimension..
56 cm (Length) x 36cm (Breadth) x 23cm (Depth)..I think it would easily weigh around 5 ~ 6 Kgs per box..

The speaker mount provision is at the center of each side, 5 cm before the edge of the box on all four sides..

Here are mounting hardware aval at local hardware shop..

This one is fan hook, think the height of U bend alone is approx 2 inches..(40 Rs)
342f99be22c34396461aad5327b39425.jpg

This hook is similar to the above, but without U bend.. (15 Rs)
7b7ae1022636d0daa20d7bcefbc32447.jpg

Thinking of picking this up, make a custom square shape iron plate (scrap) from local welding shop and make holes on all 4 sides to support chain links..

G.I Chain links.. 20Rs/ Feet..
8719c5fda98558e3d08955fdf1a25742.jpg

Will check cost of nickel plated / stainless steel chain links too..

Please suggest if there are better hardware to fix it in the ceiling, should be able to tilt..

Last edited by a moderator:
I just cycled thru the speaker options in my Denon AVR X3300, and these are the options aval in it.. Front heights, Top front, Top middle, Front Dolby, Surround dolby, surround back, Zone 2, Bi-amp, Front B..

So Top middle in a 5.2.2 (height) is what is possible..I thought top rear option was aval in AVR (Unfortunately not aval).. Also have the enclosure for ceiling speaker..

Below is my room layout..
VYgKPtanCTHWMLPa1NgYPuJbPizon7AREeozGkujjH6YME945nkIm36Eqhi41O2-yTgD8g-YcwL94HNGT_lWlUHpgT3I3JW2ZMEF09n_KuWn-8Jx96Pz3MuHVEx2r3qt7DNmEyNiivN-uu7j5_ouDWg0EvItxdOTt7QV-2vTSI0S7Y-7skxf-1ta7paI6BkXXu0E05qHnBzj_p31PQIwGPHD-oICtPWipfSCA1SaED4-i-LQxD7vzyC22mch-ZReh87l9BXOnHpeKkj69qkSiMzVBmImLUAjn2qJLXBIwDBa_j_mo2lbzxeJuZoRglt-i3LQwCPmihpRvKAR1FqBV77ptBi1DMS9X93gtJFMS881s8bj8KmHIAer9C1xr1-cfJ04nJey_bRPcaq0qB5b-OX-0YeaL8yYNaAacTiD8R46B0I-v2e-jMy6Mxmah1NrVaKpc9tjVNUVwQDoxVVYZNlfMUnoXVqNkfAEohQEhZBC6qz5GblsO7ht7Gyw5ONL14_R-e7ndBppJfYws8bW85Vs6un_Dg0GJ1SuIURSoOhuT4yz5es9QUKW3BK2w1BYUQC1eFQVgbCNZAUuIjmR-LnyT-r6Pu5IlZ45vSLOP98VXUyD8tQxOB1v=w1130-h596-no

Looking for clarity..

Should i mount the speaker in top middle location and tilt the speakers towards listening position (or) would it be better to mount the ceiling enclousre in "new location" and use as top middle config in AVR ?

If i mount it in the "New location", the speakers would be firing parallel to my ears and there wouldn't be a need to tilt..

Please help..

sharing my two cents on this topic. I have an Atmos set-up, using Front firing atmos modules.
The modules are positioned upwards and not directly to the listener and does gives an atmos effect.
To suspend the speakers from ceiling, it would be better to have it in a position, where you have to angle it towards the listening position. Don't place it just above the listening position.

sharing my two cents on this topic. I have an Atmos set-up, using Front firing atmos modules.
The modules are positioned upwards and not directly to the listener and does gives an atmos effect.

To suspend the speakers from ceiling, it would be better to have it in a position, where you have to angle it towards the listening position.

Before i got the enclosure, i thought to suspend it from ceiling.. But after getting it and due to the size, am thinking to mount it in ceiling more rigid..

Don't place it just above the listening position.

Here is an image from Dolby site .. It is 9.1.6 speaker layout..

Tk8rEgBBNTCsNjJDBm2GMNh8gPO4VnabSG2EUI8lPpEvDFiA4AeZ4oMswweZTH1NRpECeGh55VEKavwh-I4hw5NqahF3nrk4tzRpd0Z6OenJxdCuYEbBmBUDo0EYGnAP9658HQexXXO5Vr27PqlD9Vh6SIAK72gMgm5SSInul9Q-up4-ciRqbCt9_dOguZ1g23YvrG9QQmcPZJu2hR3F5efz5iSlCfKN7D0coWX76bsBSyRKvLSs2q1eRV2OXB4bBhd8hZVSgZdqFAs4hme_wlb5-2y__oG9nimO6NkJOW_Ss7zjc5qGbqmyl960rrnKD6GbaungmdxKVZG0Y2wch6BHjkaN5rHyhmFJ3yiqEo5E_c6LUxgRPE-if7a6Xy5Ctei6OpwRZdO_hsCQsfRFcxc6RkiNHctqOS09w4KU50ngKLkiNgppuXlMF3s7iI_Ubt1AcXCbWjTl6PShyprnhGlbSBU8cDtU_yxUvU4woArTLKh7iBtmMTLuij0shmeU_1aPIfJQ6XEYppcKfMidawzC77NnrDOd6vcEDVK0DK_LZq7mfODLhBqX4E4lezdIJ7fDnJekIIl6mo-KEEkfxys_vBHhnQPYOlOuTiszBZE539gP5SLZmMxF=w1502-h906-no

In the image, speaker position '9' is above listening position, while the other over heads needs to be angled towards the listening position..

Some more info - https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/9.1.6-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.pdf

Ya.. that's recommended for anything more than a 5.1.2 setup.. if you have more than 2 overhead speakers then can you do a similar setup..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ya.. that's recommended for anything more than a 5.1.2 setup.. if you have more than 2 overhead speakers then can you do a similar setup..

Going by the same logic from the above image, if the AVR is capable of one pair of height speaker, then i think it must be over listening position, firing parallel to the ears (Without angling)..

If you put it in other location, you will need to angle it to listening position..

Last edited:
It's only for Atmos ,that it will sound better if you angle it to listening position compared to positioning them.exactly overhead

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's only for Atmos ,that it will sound better if you angle it to listening position compared to positioning them.exactly overhead

Ok.. I will mount these speaker beside my listening position, but overheads...Have also accommodated tilt, juz in case it is needed..

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back