Tonearm Base Mount Salvage

reubensm

I was in the process of ordering a couple of new Tonearm base mounts for my Jelcos but thought I'll put the order on hold and try to salvage the existing ones. The reason, $40 a piece + shipping :D

One of the Tonearm base mounts has a thick layer of regular low-end super glue on it (visible in the picture). I consulted with a paint restoration expert and he suggested to use nail polish remover with acetone content to remove it. Unfortunately the type my wife uses has no acetone content (this is marked in the bottle). I tried in local stores but they all have nail polish removers without acetone content.

Any suggestions on alternate methods or a brand of nail polish remover with acetone content?

Here is a picture of the tonearm base mount with a super glue film on it:

DSC07362_zpsd5452ffb.jpg

Bingo!
Found one on my wife's dresser.
Google tells me that all brands have both types. With and without Acetone. Look at the label at the back for contents.

16k29hi.jpg

2jd1jpg.jpg

You get acetone at chemist
Confirmed with wife but again she uses acetone free .
BTW be careful while using , acetone is highly corrosive...

....... acetone is highly corrosive...

Like how ?
I have a bottle here and use it freely. It dissolves/damages plastic surfaces . Beyond that it doesn't seem to do much else. As always inhalation of fumes of all solvents must be avoided/minimised. You need good ventilation when using them. You can get a bottle ( 450mL) at any industrial chemicals supplier. You don't need 'lab reagent' grade as that is more expensive ( and purer). Use IP ( Industrial purity I think). You will get the following grades LR ( lab reagent ) AR ( analytic reagent) and IP. IP being the least expensive one.

Last edited:
If you know a good machinist, you can make a new one quite easily. The shape and geometry looks quite ordinary. Try brass, or even stainless steel.

Hi,

The nail polish remover is actually diluted version of the PVC thinner.

In Screen printing industry, they use very strong PVC thinner to clean the screens, de-greasing and sticker glue removal from the screens or other surfaces. I hope it may useful.

It is highly toxic and will melt any petroleum based plastics, so be careful while using. By the way, it is very strong in removing any sticker gums residuals from surfaces of Glass, metals etc(Except Petroleum based products/plastics because PVC thinner will eat away the petroleum products/plastics). Screen printers will purchase this in big cans of 1/2/5 Liters.

You can check with local screen printers(who prints visiting cards, invitation etc. But not the Textile/banner printers)and get small quantity and give a try.

May help you.

With regards.

Last edited:
We are using CAMLIN brand's stain remover ( also available with whitener combo) to remove sticker gum stains from books.

Some time back I made a plinth for my TT, that time I purchased an acrylic sheet. After the purchase I noticed a small gum stain in one corner of the sheet. I put few drops of this stain remover and started to wipe out the stain. Instead of disappearing the stain spread and ruined the acrylic sheet. Here are the pics.

regds,
shafic

Last edited:
.... stain spread and ruined the acrylic sheet...

shafic

That is the problem with PVC based thinners. First we need to put one drop at some remote place and check for reaction before applying at actual area(like how the human skin will tested for side effects by the doctor before executing some irritating skin treatments). The best way of checking is to apply on Waste Thermocoal, Therocoal melts and make big hole if the thinner is strong.

Camlin is also diluted PVC thinner. These are all marketing strategy. The companies will purchase the PVC thinner in tanks(it is dirt cheap) and add some additives for different home usage, dilute for strong chemicals, treat the smell and put it in small pouches of 10 and 20 ML and make big money under the Brand Name (so as with Fevicol like adhesives and many other cleaning chemicals).

Regards.

That is the problem with PVC based thinners. First we need to put one drop at some remote place and check for reaction before applying at actual area(like how the human skin will tested for side effects by the doctor before executing some irritating skin treatments). The best way of checking is to apply on Waste Thermocoal, Therocoal melts and make big hole if the thinner is strong.

Camlin is also diluted PVC thinner. These are all marketing strategy. The companies will purchase the PVC thinner in tanks(it is dirt cheap) and add some additives for different home usage, dilute for strong chemicals, treat the smell and put it in small pouches of 10 and 20 ML and make big money under the Brand Name (so as with Fevicol like adhesives and many other cleaning chemicals).

Regards.

Very informative!!:clapping:

I have seen and used the " Ronson " or Zippo" - Lighter Fluid Petrol to remove the glue and adhesive sticker labels etc.

Just drop the Ronson's liquid on the adhesive to be removed and let it soak for couple of minutes and gently wipe it off. This works on general purpose adhesives but I am not sure about Super Glue though! Secondly I am not sure how it will affect the paint on the tone arm base. As the applications states it can be used to effectively remove the oil, grease, ink, tar etc So...... Both products are available at Amazon and eBay.

Caution - Being Gas / Petrol based these are highly inflammable products. To be handled with caution in an open environment.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back