Topping TP20 tripath 2020 amplifier (versus NAD C320BEE)

i havent heard a TP20 amp yet so i cant comment on that particularly but i have heard some SET amps

i see comparisons of this amp with others
the issue of detail is well debatable but sirs are you sure this amp provides you the weight and soundstage of an integrated?

i would be really really surprised if i heard a chip amp ( after hearing some set amps) that would equal an integrated in those aspects
even a NAD which is considered cloudy by some

i see a lot of potential of these amps in micro systems and ive got my mind on building something for car audio too for which ive ordered a topping

The T20 page mentioned something about not being suitable for cars.

Regards

hey magma, they soundstage really well, but again, matching the speakers makes a huge difference. Jai with his fostex full-rangers seem to love what the TA2024 does, as do most people I've read about who have paired the simple tripath amps with sensitive speakers, or the more complex tripath amps (like the virtue audio, or red wine audio, or mark levinson) with bigger and more difficult speakers.

i havent heard a TP20 amp yet so i cant comment on that particularly but i have heard some SET amps

i see comparisons of this amp with others
the issue of detail is well debatable but sirs are you sure this amp provides you the weight and soundstage of an integrated?

i would be really really surprised if i heard a chip amp ( after hearing some set amps) that would equal an integrated in those aspects
even a NAD which is considered cloudy by some

i see a lot of potential of these amps in micro systems and ive got my mind on building something for car audio too for which ive ordered a topping

Nice report there Psycho! I could almost see the Hsu swapping places with the Virtue 2 at the top of the wish-list line... :eek:hyeah:

Thanks Keith for the link.

I am looking to the buy ta2024 based topping tp30 with usb hopefully. I also see ta2024 based tp10 and tp40( it seems to use 220v supply). Now can someone tell me what are the major differences?
Also, the pros and cons of ta2020 vs ta2024 vs 2021?

The TP30 is a 2024 amp with a basic PCM270X based DAC. This DAC is unlikely to be terribly great, so it might be worth just picking up one of the amps without DACs and investing in something like the Musiland DAC when you've got enough cash save dup.

the TP10 is a 2024 amp plain and simple

The TP40 is a 20204 amp with a built in linear power supply with a torroidal transformer (big heavy bugger 4.4 kgs)

The TA2021 I don't know much about. But the TA2020 has a bit more power than the 2024 and can therefore go a bit louder without distorting. (6W v. 7W)

Thanks Keith for the link.

I am looking to the buy ta2024 based topping tp30 with usb hopefully. I also see ta2024 based tp10 and tp40( it seems to use 220v supply). Now can someone tell me what are the major differences?
Also, the pros and cons of ta2020 vs ta2024 vs 2021?

just a few things to keep in mind when buying.

a) does it come with a power supply?
b) what is the shipping cost?
c) are they going to mark it as a gift / under-invoice? The ebay sellers do that which results in no customs applying. If that is not done, customs duty might apply.

Nice range here
Also get a discount of US$5 for purchases over US$20. Apply discount code - 0dc33abe5a - while checking out.

hey magma, they soundstage really well, but again, matching the speakers makes a huge difference. Jai with his fostex full-rangers seem to love what the TA2024 does, as do most people I've read about who have paired the simple tripath amps with sensitive speakers, or the more complex tripath amps (like the virtue audio, or red wine audio, or mark levinson) with bigger and more difficult speakers.

Hey psychotropic, do you know of any such (high sensitivity/full range) speakers available in India, that are also reasonably compact in size? Basically, what speakers (preferably available in India), will be suitable for a T-amp? I guess my question is also applicable for other similar low-power amplifiers like SETs, right?

Do you also know what SDFR means? This term keeps getting bandied about to refer to such speakers.

Last edited:
Audire in Coimbatore makes full-range speakers which I understand are not too expensive, and are supposed to be quite good. Viren of Lyrita audio also makes full-range speakers I believe.

If you have a big budget there is of course Rethm in Cochin that makes highly regarded full rangers.

Highly sensitivity / easy to drive need not necessarily mean full-range though, if you look at some of the Klipsch horn-loaded speakers, or even regular speakers such as those from Mission (which has some speakers with sensitivities in the low-to-mid 90s), and speakers such as the Cambridge Audio S30 which are rated at roughly 90 dB.

Having said that my 86dB rated Usher S520 goes plenty loud and the TA2020 can drive it to genuinely loud levels in my 10' by 10' room.

Regarding SDFR i really don't know, haven't heard the term, but it could be Single Driver Full Range maybe?

Hey psychotropic, do you know of any such (high sensitivity/full range) speakers available in India, that are also reasonably compact in size?

Do you also know what SDFR means? This term keeps getting bandied about to refer to such speakers.

Audire in Coimbatore makes full-range speakers which I understand are not too expensive, and are supposed to be quite good. Viren of Lyrita audio also makes full-range speakers I believe.

If you have a big budget there is of course Rethm in Cochin that makes highly regarded full rangers.

Highly sensitivity / easy to drive need not necessarily mean full-range though, if you look at some of the Klipsch horn-loaded speakers, or even regular speakers such as those from Mission (which has some speakers with sensitivities in the low-to-mid 90s), and speakers such as the Cambridge Audio S30 which are rated at roughly 90 dB.

Having said that my 86dB rated Usher S520 goes plenty loud and the TA2020 can drive it to genuinely loud levels in my 10' by 10' room.

Regarding SDFR i really don't know, haven't heard the term, but it could be Single Driver Full Range maybe?

Thanks so much, Psychotropic! Would you happen to know if Audire or Lyrita can be audiotioned in Pune, and if they have any compact-sized options? My space limitation would probably restrict me to a bass reflex design.

I've never heard Klipsch, but they're supposed to be quite bright, right? Would it pair well with the topping t-amp?

I'll also look into some of the other options you mentioned.

I also tried contacting a US company called Tekton Design that makes compact Fostex based speakers. Their Model 6.5 which retails for $350 in US ends up costing $622 due to shipping however!

Any idea how a bass reflex Fostex will sound compared to say a 90db bookshelf speaker like monitor audio br2 or mission m32i? I realize this is a theoretical question, but I just wanted to get an idea.

... and you have quite a few DIY options, if you're interested...

Thanks, grubyhalo! I've seen a few cabinet designs for Fostex FE167 and FE207 (or 206). Unfortunately, a lot of the designs are quite big in size! From my limited knowledge, it looks like the size is kept large to provide additional bass.

What would you recommend as a compact sized option, if one is willing to make some tradeoffs (like lesser bass)?

By the way, I hope I am not taking this thread off-track with my questions.

I have a simple bass reflex design bookshelf using the FE167E. Its the design that comes with the driver. The bass extension is weak but does a good enough job in a small room. Use them with a TA2024 amplifier currently.

Does the Topping TP20-MARK2 produce low frequent vibrations on the low-range speaker?

In a German Forum (http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&back=1&sort=lpost&forum_id=108&thread=11906) a User write a problem about the Topping TP20-MARK2. Could anyone verify this on his own Topping T20-Mark2?

Obviously the Topping TP20-MARK2 (or his power supply) produces without music signal low frequent vibrations. As a result of that, heavy membrane oscillations occur on the low-range speaker.

Can anyone test this? ---> Turn the volume control approx. on the half position (twelve o clock position), but WITHOUT playing any music from a source (CD/mp3/PC etc.). Now, watch the membrane of your low-range speaker. Does the membrane (without music) vibrate?

(Maybe some of you can remember this effect under the former expression Subsonic. Some older amplifier had built in a Subsonic Filter to eliminate these membrane vibrations.)

Some people have the opinion this phenomenon could be a result of the simple or bad power supply. Therefore could you tell me which power supply you use with your Topping, respectively which power supply was included at your package?

Last edited:
Thanks so much, Psychotropic! Would you happen to know if Audire or Lyrita can be audiotioned in Pune, and if they have any compact-sized options? My space limitation would probably restrict me to a bass reflex design.

I've never heard Klipsch, but they're supposed to be quite bright, right? Would it pair well with the topping t-amp?

I'll also look into some of the other options you mentioned.

I also tried contacting a US company called Tekton Design that makes compact Fostex based speakers. Their Model 6.5 which retails for $350 in US ends up costing $622 due to shipping however!

Any idea how a bass reflex Fostex will sound compared to say a 90db bookshelf speaker like monitor audio br2 or mission m32i? I realize this is a theoretical question, but I just wanted to get an idea.

FYI I use bass reflex bookshelves with Fostex 166E and the bass is very good. Those that believe full rangers do not produce good enough lows will be surprised. Depends on how well the cabinet is made. Mine are from Audire in Coimbatore. They are not compact for bookshelves. Sized at 2ft by 1ft and weigh around 14kgs each.

HTH

Regards

FYI I use bass reflex bookshelves with Fostex 166E and the bass is very good. Those that believe full rangers do not produce good enough lows will be surprised. Depends on how well the cabinet is made. Mine are from Audire in Coimbatore. They are not compact for bookshelves. Sized at 2ft by 1ft and weigh around 14kgs each.

HTH

Regards

Gobble, thanks! This is exactly what I am looking for! Do you have any idea if Audire speakers/equipment is available for demo/sale etc. anywhere outside of Coimbatore? Even their website has been down for over 6 months now after they got a virus attack or something :sad: Or, do you have their contact number so that I can call them?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the speakers cost?

Edit: I found Audire's number and email from another thread, and have sent them an email. Thanks.

Last edited:
Gobble, thanks! This is exactly what I am looking for! Do you have any idea if Audire speakers/equipment is available for demo/sale etc. anywhere outside of Coimbatore? Even their website has been down for over 6 months now after they got a virus attack or something :sad: Or, do you have their contact number so that I can call them?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the speakers cost?

Edit: I found Audire's number and email from another thread, and have sent them an email. Thanks.

Audire shipped it home to me in Blore for a one month demo. They might offer the same to you.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back