Topping TP20 tripath 2020 amplifier (versus NAD C320BEE)

hey gobble, next time I'm in Bangalore, can I come over with a tripath and see how they sound with your Audires?

FYI I use bass reflex bookshelves with Fostex 166E and the bass is very good. Those that believe full rangers do not produce good enough lows will be surprised. Depends on how well the cabinet is made. Mine are from Audire in Coimbatore. They are not compact for bookshelves. Sized at 2ft by 1ft and weigh around 14kgs each.

HTH

Regards

Those that believe full rangers do not produce good enough lows will be surprised. Depends on how well the cabinet is made. Mine are from Audire in Coimbatore. They are not compact for bookshelves.

Regards

Hi Gobble,

I've listened to the single driver speakers (folded horn design) of Audire at Coimbatore and was reasonably impressed. I was not carrying any CDs then.

However, when I listened to the same speakers at Venkat's place in Chennai later and used 'Titanic' music CD, (which is my reference to judge the speakers' ability to replicate bass notes) I was thoroughly disappointed; bass was totally missing.:(

Sized at 2ft by 1ft and weigh around 14kgs each.

The ones you are having are older design and are probably different sonically. They presently make speakers which are about four feet high.

Regards

Rajesh

Hi Gobble,

I've listened to the single driver speakers (folded horn design) of Audire at Coimbatore and was reasonably impressed. I was not carrying any CDs then.

However, when I listened to the same speakers at Venkat's place in Chennai later and used 'Titanic' music CD, (which is my reference to judge the speakers' ability to replicate bass notes) I was thoroughly disappointed; bass was totally missing.:(

The ones you are having are older design and are probably different sonically. They presently make speakers which are about four feet high.

Regards

Rajesh

The drivers are different. You probably heard a different 5" driver. The FE166E 6.5" driver can give out good bass in the right cabinet - I recall researching on the net and basing my decision on it. Ask Audire of the Callisto BS, they should still be selling it.

Regards

Last edited:
The drivers are different. You probably heard a different 5" driver.

You are probably right. The driver was Fostex Sigma series. I do not remember the number but it was definitely not 5" it would be about 4" or near abouts.

The FE166E 6.5" driver can give out good bass in the right cabinet - I recall researching on the net and basing my decision on it. Ask Audire of the Callisto BS, they should still be selling it.

Regards

Thank you, I'll remember to take my own CDs & ask for Callisto BS next time but I don't think they are manufacturing it anymore. I keep coming to B'lore on official work. Hope to listen to your speakers sometime.:)

You are probably right. The driver was Fostex Sigma series. I do not remember the number but it was definitely not 5" it would be about 4" or near abouts.

Thank you, I'll remember to take my own CDs & ask for Callisto BS next time but I don't think they are manufacturing it anymore. I keep coming to B'lore on official work. Hope to listen to your speakers sometime.:)

Sure. Remember to give me a few days advance notice anytime :)

Regards

Gobble - did you ever write a review on those bookshelf speakers? :)

As you know, I have been curious about it for quite a while.

hey vortex, i've updated the first post with my (only slightly) more detailed comparison of the NAD and the Topping, assuming that's what you're referring to. The Topping is a clear winner. Careful matching and it can definitely beat the NAD C320BEE (and therefore presumably the C325 and 326 which are not supposed to be terribly different).

Psychotropic - did the shootout take place by any chance? :)

Gobble - did you ever write a review on those bookshelf speakers? :)

As you know, I have been curious about it for quite a while.

My poweramp is not a best match to these speakers hence reluctant to post opinions until an upgrade. The speakers have just started breaking in at 170+ hours....may need another 50 to 100 hours ... patience ... :)

Cheers

Oh, I missed the edit, Psychotropic.

This is very interesting. I must come around and have a listen. Better yet if you could come listen to the tube amp I have and bring the Topping over, that would be cool. We should find some day to do it.

absolutely! would this weekend work for you? i'll give you a call and see.

Oh, I missed the edit, Psychotropic.

This is very interesting. I must come around and have a listen. Better yet if you could come listen to the tube amp I have and bring the Topping over, that would be cool. We should find some day to do it.

Hi Gobble,

Rajesh

hi,
i use 8" full range single drivers. i don't miss bass. i don' t know whether this is adaptation of my ears. when i listen to some systems now, i feel that the bass is bloated.

hi,
i use 8" full range single drivers. i don't miss bass. i don' t know whether this is adaptation of my ears. when i listen to some systems now, i feel that the bass is bloated.

8" driver would definitely have better base jaudere. But Sharat, who designed the audire speakers used smaller drivers as they have much faster response. Ofcourse, a lot also depends on the consruction of the cabinets. Sharat uses a folded horn design.

The ones I had listened to at their place in Coimbatore were impressive but the same at Venkat's place had no bass whatsoever. They also had razor thin sweetspot. The reasons could be myriad. Cables, interconnects etc etc.

But considering Venkat's knowledge, it is highly unlikely as all the equipment were his.:D

Since the speakers were just unpacked, it could be that they have not broken in.:cool:

oh excellent, then i am pretty sure once i come home with a tripath, you'll pack up your NAD :) , about the DIY pre i don't know, these amps can be used with pres as well, since it's just an amp with a volume control.

NAD 325BEE :D My DIY pre should sing its first notes this weekend.

Regards

8" driver would definitely have better base jaudere.

I think i have been quite lucky in getting these drivers. T/S parameters not available. So i used open baffles. Guess what's the price of 1 driver? Rs 300/- (original philips drivers). I don't have any objective data about frq response but i checked it with a test note program from net. It gave easily audible notes down to 45Hz. 40Hz was audible with difficulty and 35 was inaudible.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back