Topping TP20 tripath 2020 amplifier (versus NAD C320BEE)

@kaustubh - if you're going to get a sub, make sure you get one that accepts speaker level inputs. With a sub in place I think the Topping will do well in a room of your size provided the bookshelves you have are of reasonable sensitivity. For trance I guess bass 'slam' is a priority and very few budget bookshelves can match the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (or presumably the 10.2) in this regard. But I honestly can't say how the Topping will be for trance, i've not tried it with that kind of music.

But definitely audition the Cambridge Audio S30, their 90 dB sensitivity and cheap price (and good sound) will make an excellent pairing with the Topping, I think, and add a sub to this and it should, at least on paper, be more than enough for trance music in a room like yours.

@maniac - i haven't verified this. maybe venkat or manu can contribute?

@srikarkav - like iaudio said, it doesn't come with a power supply.

Hi iaudio, It is not similer to laptop power supply. It is 12V DC adapter which is same as airtel DTH adapter @300 rs. So no need to pay 13-14$ for this.
psychotropic also mentioned the some where in the same thread.

the good thing about the PSU that indeed supplies is that, in addition to being silent, it is also rated at 5A, giving it a bit more headroom than the 3A power supply you would get with the Airtel DTH STB.

Hi iaudio, It is not similer to laptop power supply. It is 12V DC adapter which is same as airtel DTH adapter @300 rs. So no need to pay 13-14$ for this.
psychotropic also mentioned the some where in the same thread.

I am in a dilemma whether to go for the Topping 20 Mk2 from Indeed/arjen or wait for Arjen to come out with the full build of the Mk3!

Hey Psychotropic, inspired by you, I had placed an order for a Topping TP20 amp as well (from a different vendor). It arrived a couple of days ago.. hooray! :yahoo:

Although the ebay website picture showed the power supply, the power supply was NOT delivered grrrrr :mad:

I did get it for $67 and free shipping, so I might just be kind and leave a decent rating for the seller. The amp did arrive in pristine condition and was quite well packaged.

Does anyone happen to know which power supply I can safely use with the Topping TP20 Mark2? Some earlier comments mention that a 12V DC adapter (similar to the Airtel DTH adapter) would be suitable. What specification should I look for if I am buying a generic adapter from an electronic store? Should I get any 12V adapter or should I look for a certain current rating as well?

:BUMP:

Can anyone please help? I only need to know what specification AC adapter I can use with the Topping TP20 amplifier.

The amp didn't come with a manual or with an adapter, so I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance!
-asliarun

Does anyone happen to know which power supply I can safely use with the Topping TP20 Mark2? Some earlier comments mention that a 12V DC adapter (similar to the Airtel DTH adapter) would be suitable. What specification should I look for if I am buying a generic adapter from an electronic store? Should I get any 12V adapter or should I look for a certain current rating as well?

Better you find someone to build a linear power supply. Avoid SMPS it will destroy SQ.

Regards

a decently constructed SMPS shoudl actually be sufficient. You can of course probably gain a lower nosie floor from a linear supply. Get a 12V power supply with at least 3A and preferably more (like 5A). From the little that I understand greater current rating will give the amp a bit more headroom. It will probably work with 12V 1A, 1.5A PSUs that come with routers and stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it. It works well with the Airtel DTH PSU which is 12V - 3A (or 2.5A).

When buying from ebay, forget the picture, the picture is not a commitment, make sure the listing clearly mentions that a power supply is included. Again the picture does not mean a thing.

:BUMP:

Can anyone please help? I only need to know what specification AC adapter I can use with the Topping TP20 amplifier.

The amp didn't come with a manual or with an adapter, so I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance!
-asliarun

they're entirely different animals from entirely different price classes. Lyrita are tube amps that cost a minimum of 25-30k and can cost much more. These things are digital amplifiers that cost 4k. But having said that I think it would be an interesting comparison. It's a comparison that would have happened if i had found the time to drop in on stevieboy during my last Bangalore visit, but alas that was not to be.

Rajiv in Chennai has a Lyrita amp right? I wonder if he would be open to checking out how the Topping sounds in his setup.

how does the topping compare to tube amps like lyrita ?Which one would be better for music ?

Well thanks for the review. It is the first time I am hearing about the Class T amplifiers and at least this is worth a try for people like me - quasi audiophiles. I also read about this in the net and it seems that this tiny marvel was first discovered way back in 2005. see -http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html. I cannot help wondering why this tiny equipment then has not destroyed the costly hifi amps in the last 5 years after generating so much interest for a year.See the google trends for this -
Google Trends: Sonic Impact T-Amp. Well I guess I cant tell that for sure till I have first bought it, which I am planning to anyway in two/ three months time.

You can get it from ebay. The dealers ship worldwide. The threadstarter procured it in the same manner.
Titus

You can get it from ebay. The dealers ship worldwide. The threadstarter procured it in the same manner.
Titus

Ok. But I do not have credit card or paypal account. Any location where cheque, cash, bank deposit etc. can be done?

the waning interest coincides with tripath technologies going out of business. If they had been better run (or had better luck) these things would probably be taking the world by storm right now. mercifully they had a huge inventory when they went bust, which is why amps with their chips will be available for some time to come.

Well thanks for the review. It is the first time I am hearing about the Class T amplifiers and at least this is worth a try for people like me - quasi audiophiles. I also read about this in the net and it seems that this tiny marvel was first discovered way back in 2005. see -http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html. I cannot help wondering why this tiny equipment then has not destroyed the costly hifi amps in the last 5 years after generating so much interest for a year.See the google trends for this -
Google Trends: Sonic Impact T-Amp. Well I guess I cant tell that for sure till I have first bought it, which I am planning to anyway in two/ three months time.

@iaudio I wanted to know if it's sensitivity that matters more. Is the topping enough to drive the mission m33i to decent levels if lower frequencies are taken care of by a sub?
How have your missions performed with low power amp's? the m33i has a high 90db sensitivity same as the cambridge s30 and would need similar power right?

My personal preference would be a bigger speaker :) .. WAF not applicable.. only limitation is budget :sad:.. I had initially planned on getting norge + mission m35i.. but the price of m35i has shot up to 32k from 25k..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back