Topping TP20 tripath 2020 amplifier (versus NAD C320BEE)

You shan't be able to hit high on the volume levels, the speakers being of 6 ohms and 85 dB sensitivity. Ideal specs of speakers with T amps need be 8 ohms and minimum 89 dB (higher the better). Not that, these speakers won't perform. They would, but distortion would set in at higher volumes. It is better to go with the desired speaker specs with T amps.

A lot has been discussed in this thread. Possibly, the maximum anywhere on this planet!!!!! Try reading through. I know, it would be a feat in itself! ;)

You shan't be able to hit high on the volume levels, the speakers being of 6 ohms and 85 dB sensitivity. Ideal specs of speakers with T amps need be 8 ohms and minimum 89 dB (higher the better). Not that, these speakers won't perform. They would, but distortion would set in at higher volumes. It is better to go with the desired speaker specs with T amps.

A lot has been discussed in this thread. Possibly, the maximum anywhere on this planet!!!!! Try reading through. I know, it would be a feat in itself! ;)

Thanks @ghatgepatil, i had gone thro' the entire thread. BUt i did not come across anyone using this combo. anyways thanks for the headsup. I need to look at some other pair of bookshelves.
Will Wharfedale 10.1 be a good pairing? Anyone using this combo can chip in...
thanks.

As reported here, the best matches with T amps are with JBL (Control 1) and Cambridge Audio (CS30) speakers. Its tried and tested! Both are pocket-friendly. Full range Fostex based speakers (BLH designs) are also very good match.

If you have gone through this thread, beats me as to how you missed out on the two mentioned above???? :rolleyes:

As reported here, the best matches with T amps are with JBL (Control 1) and Cambridge Audio (CS30) speakers. Its tried and tested! Both are pocket-friendly. Full range Fostex based speakers (BLH designs) are also very good match.

If you have gone through this thread, beats me as to how you missed out on the two mentioned above???? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but i was not impressed with JBL Control 1 and i'm not able to get hold of a CA S30. So the other options for me was either the Diamond 10.1 or Pioneer BS22LR within my budget.

I have a pair of Cambridge audio S30 Paired with TA2020 amp along with UDAC2 and I wouldn't call it as a best match IMHO, I felt my Dali paired better than the Cambridge audio S30. My Dali concept 1 was 86db at 8 ohms and it was handled well by the amp.
have to try with Usher s520 to see how it works out .

I have a pair of Cambridge audio S30 Paired with TA2020 amp along with UDAC2 and I wouldn't call it as a best match IMHO, I felt my Dali paired better than the Cambridge audio S30. My Dali concept 1 was 86db at 8 ohms and it was handled well by the amp.
have to try with Usher s520 to see how it works out .

it can be the UDAC as well. try another DAC else some other audio interface. i tried the first version on UDAC and did not like it.

I have a Lepai 2020A+(2013 model) connected to Hari Iyer's Krypton Harmony bookshelf. To my ears this setup sounded much better than the expensive Denon+Polk combo I auditioned. My source is Audio Technica TT.

I ditched the stock power supply that came with the Lepai and replaced with a 12V 4A power supply.

I have a Lepai 2020A+(2013 model) connected to Hari Iyer's Krypton Harmony bookshelf. To my ears this setup sounded much better than the expensive Denon+Polk combo I auditioned. My source is Audio Technica TT.

I ditched the stock power supply that came with the Lepai and replaced with a 12V 4A power supply.

I have the same lepai one and changed the stock 2A to 5A one. Sounds far better.
I have hooked it to my sony bs for pc usage.

I own the Topping TP20-Mark2 and it has performed well for me. The first thing I did was to ditch the wall wart and go with a 12VDC battery which improved the overall sound quality substantially. I have used this nice little amp with (3) different sets of speakers, each with nice results. First, I tried a custom built 8th wave folded transmission line box designed by Ronnie Thackeray of Carolina Audio and housing a Merrill DCA5.5 full range drive rated at 89dB. Next I tried the amp with a pair of Wavetouch Audio Grand Teton 2-way speakers rated at 94dB. And finally, I used the Topping TP20 to power a pair of custom built back loaded horn cabinets designed by Scott Lindgren of Woden Design that housed Fostex FE163En-S full range drivers rated at 93dB. All three variations sounded wonderful with the backloaded horns producing some beautiful bass. The key them here is that I used speakers rated 89dB or above. I have attached photos of the two custom speakers; you can find the Wavetouch site with Google. Sorry for the long post; I hope this info is helpful as I am a new member.

Attachments

• blh small.jpg
    blh small.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 390
  • sm 8th folded.jpg
    sm 8th folded.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 389
I think I've read most of the messages on this thread and I am ready to try out a system with the tp20!

Problem is, I think the secret is out. I can't find the JBL control one or the CA S 30 available anywhere in India. In addition to searching the online stores, I've spoken to the authorized re-sellers and both say they have been discontinued.

I'm looking for small speakers in the 6-12k range that will pair nicely with the topping - I like the combination of portability, affordability, and high quality sound. Can you recommend me models and places to look - or pm me if you would prefer.

I plan on pairing it with a Topping TP20-MK2 (TA2020). Main use will be in 10x10 room as desktop speakers. Thank you and I do promise to post a review when the system comes to fruition.

I think I've read most of the messages on this thread and I am ready to try out a system with the tp20!

Problem is, I think the secret is out. I can't find the JBL control one or the CA S 30 available anywhere in India. In addition to searching the online stores, I've spoken to the authorized re-sellers and both say they have been discontinued.

I'm looking for small speakers in the 6-12k range that will pair nicely with the topping - I like the combination of portability, affordability, and high quality sound. Can you recommend me models and places to look - or pm me if you would prefer.

I plan on pairing it with a Topping TP20-MK2 (TA2020). Main use will be in 10x10 room as desktop speakers. Thank you and I do promise to post a review when the system comes to fruition.

Noticed that the JBLControl One is available on this website:
HTStore

I recently got the CA S30, after searching online / showrooms for more than a few months. One of the smaller hifi showrooms close to my place had one available for sale and I spotted it accidentally in the showroom, you really got to be lucky to get hold of one! I have the CA S30 paired with the Topping TP22 and they drive the CA S30 very well and there is hardly any distortion if you go loud. I really have gotten back to enjoying music and this is truly a step-up from the ipod docks. This is a great set-up for a smallish room but that said I rarely go beyond 11 / 12 'oclock volume in any case, so they fill the room very well at those volumes. Waiting to get speaker stands soon! :)

I am simply awestruck by the little Topping TP 20 MK2. Even though it is a low watter, it drives my Klipsch very well. What amazes me is the presence of the blackest background with very clear high, mids and well defined lows. You definitely need to use high sensitivity speakers with them. I feel they are an ideal alternative to SET amps as they are very power efficient and run cool even after hours of listening.

I think you would find this interesting
AudiogoN Reviews: Lepai LP-2020A+ Amplifier

Perhaps this review should go into jokes thread-seriously!!!

Last edited:
My TP20 went kaput ! The amp powers up but no sound. :sad:
Looks like the IC's fried (that's what the local service guy says) and the IC is not available locally in Bangalore.
Any of you have any idea where in Bangalore I can get this thing serviced?

Thanks

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back