Topping TP20 tripath 2020 amplifier (versus NAD C320BEE)

From what I read around on the forums the inventor of Tripath chip is a good engineer but a bad business man.
There was a rumour that the OEM companies who manufactured Tripath chips for Tripath are making them secretly and hence the growing number of Tripath based products on ebay. But not sure what is right.

To build a hi-fi system you need speakers an amp and a dedicated CD-P which are made for hi-fi use. You choose decent speakers based on your room size and an amp to power that and a decent CD-P for a source. And good speaker cables and interconnects to get the best of those components.

The T-amp is in fact a good product but it may not make its way as a part of the main hi-fi system for many as there are no other components to complement the T-amps at similar prices.
When you buy your favourite speakers you wouldn't want to compromise going with a cheap speaker cable or place it on those vibrating cabinets/tables or hang it to the walls.
Sometimes you end up buying a speaker cable which may cost more than the T-amp an interconnect would cost close to that. A speaker stand may cost few times the cost of a T-amp.
Being crazy for collecting those genuine CD's you wouldn't want to play them via a cheap DVD player.

Yes, in that case it may be tougher for those to welcome the shortfalls and accept an amp cheaper than their speaker cable and with a CD-P and speaker stands costing few times the price of the amp at the cost of sacrificing the build quality reliability and the convenience of multiple inputs and a remote of a well built budget integrated amp.
Unless there is a solution for all these shortfalls a T-amp will not make its way as a replacement in a proper hi-fi system. If these short falls are covered then the T-amp wouldn't be affordable as now.
There is no comparison between an integrated amp and a T-amp other than its a personal choice whether if you want to trade off those features like convenience/build quality/reliability/ multiple inputs/better performance for monetary benefit or wanted an integrated amp with out inviting those shortfalls.

Considering this Spam. :)

Hello Members !
I wish to buy this amp TP20 after reading this thread for my bed room,my friend is coming from US and i would like to ask to get it for me. Can i use my Ken wood mini Hi Fi Speakers with TP20 or to go for BS speakers.. Which one ? i was confused ....Budget upto -15k.
I also planed to use it as Bluetooth speaker setup playing from my mobile using "AQY New Wireless Bluetooth A2DP 3.5mm Stereo HiFi Audio Dongle Adapter Transmitter"
will it be a good idea?

Amazon.com: AQY New Wireless Bluetooth A2DP 3.5mm Stereo HiFi Audio Dongle Adapter Transmitter: Electronics

Help me..
Thanking you,
Murali.

6/24/2013 2:24:00 PM INDIA CHENNAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Send item to domestic location (Inb).

:)
Should see the package tomorrow I guess.

No duty!! Humble postman comes on a cycle with the Amp in the carrier.! as I was parking nearby. :) received it, burn-in happening, under blankets,

Tracks - aboriginal instrument didgeridoo, Shakti -Remember Shakti - Saturday Night in Bombay, NAS - hate me now. All looped.

Playing through Neutron for Android, on TV stick,
Band ridge ICs and DIY braided Cat5e cable( pics attached).

Will share results EOD :)

So far so good

Attachments

• 24062013121.jpg
    24062013121.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 338
  • 24062013123.jpg
    24062013123.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 340
  • 24062013122.jpg
    24062013122.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 338
  • 24062013125.jpg
    24062013125.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 24062013128.jpg
    24062013128.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
WIP Cat5e mod. :)
Sounds and behaves good now. :)

Attachments

• 24062013129.jpg
    24062013129.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 342
  • 24062013130.jpg
    24062013130.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 345
  • 24062013133.jpg
    24062013133.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 344
Any body tried Topping with JBL Control 1 Pro ,a higher version of control 1 with bigger drivers but only at 4 Ohms

Hi Amarendra,
I am new to this forum. I am interested in your Topping.
How can I check it in the classifieds ( sorry for the ignorance).

Thanks
Gurinder

I had ordered my Tripath T2020S from indeed hi-fi lab on ebay on 10th Aug and received it on 21st Aug. Very quick delivery.
Hunting for speakers now.

Hi friends new to this small, can any FM friends help & tell me what kind of amp is this?

I am having Technics integrated amp with Wharfedale Diamond 10.7.

If any of my friends let me know will this small add any new charm in my existing setup?

hi friends,
Can anybody help me regarding my topping t20 mark 2 amplifier.
it has stopped working since 3 days. the Adapter with package is is not working Tried other adopter with 12v-3A only light is on and no volume is coming.
Please tell me where can I get it repaired. Its a very sweet sounding Amplifier.
I don't want to loose it.

Hi Guys,

After hearing to Music (in Pure audio) on Onkyo RC270 Model for 3 years, I have bought Topping TP20 from Amazon for $82. paired them with older JBL Control 1 Speakers i used as surround in 7.1.

The Laptop type adaptor came with it, did not work. I just used original Linksys router adaptor i had as a spare one. Is there any issue with using the adaptor.

I am just burning in the amp . Probably next week, use them to compare it with Onkyo - Monitor Audio Rx1 speakers.

regards,
Prasanna KV

Hi Guys,

After hearing to Music (in Pure audio) on Onkyo RC270 Model for 3 years, I have bought Topping TP20 from Amazon for $82. paired them with older JBL Control 1 Speakers i used as surround in 7.1.

The Laptop type adaptor came with it, did not work. I just used original Linksys router adaptor i had as a spare one. Is there any issue with using the adaptor.

I am just burning in the amp . Probably next week, use them to compare it with Onkyo - Monitor Audio Rx1 speakers.

regards,
Prasanna KV

You might want to check if the adapter is faulty - possibly by trying some other device with the adapter.

I was using a Airtel adapter, and later moved to a Meanwell 12V 5A adapter. Both worked fine for me with no problems. So no, there should not be a problem as long as your adapter outputs 12V and preferably 2 or 3+ amps.

Venurp - I'm not an expert on this, but I remember reading a very long thread on diyaudio.com on issues and troubleshooting Topping amps. I remember someone also warning that you shouldn't short the two speaker terminals as that can fry the chip and render the unit unusable.

You might want to check if the adapter is faulty - possibly by trying some other device with the adapter.

I was using a Airtel adapter, and later moved to a Meanwell 12V 5A adapter. Both worked fine for me with no problems. So no, there should not be a problem as long as your adapter outputs 12V and preferably 2 or 3+ amps.

Venurp - I'm not an expert on this, but I remember reading a very long thread on diyaudio.com on issues and troubleshooting Topping amps. I remember someone also warning that you shouldn't short the two speaker terminals as that can fry the chip and render the unit unusable.

Thank u asliarun.
I'll go through it.

Thank you asliarun.

Linksys Adaptor I am using is 12V and it is 500mA!! But it still works fine.

Is there a distinctive advantage in using meanwell SMPS which is another 2K, or can i continue to use Linksys adaptor.

regards,
Prasanna KV

Honestly, I couldn't figure out the difference in sound quality with me an well as well. However, I would strongly suggest getting a higher amp adapter. 12 volt adapters are dime a dozen. If you see the mods people suggest, they say to add a capacitor in the input side so the amp will have a better current supply when trying to amplify bass frequencies.

Hi Prasanna
how do you compare the music with tp20 and onkyo in your jbl control?
Bumped on this thread and seriously amazed to see the interest in topping.
Arun

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back