Toshiba 47L5400 Android TV

araavi

Hello Tech Geeks,

I am planning to buy a 47inch Led TV. I have narrowed Toshiba 47L5400 FHD, Smart TV with Android KitKat.

Anybody owns this TV. Please share your views as i am eager to buy it.

Thanks
Anjani Prasad

Was looking for a <35k 32" LED with maximum features & a Full Web Browser. So, shortlisted LG LF6300 & Toshiba L5400. With a better Web Browser, Toshiba made the cut for me. Bought it for Rs.30500/- with 3 yr warranty from Vijay Sales Pune. Was getting it for 27k on snapdeal. But with bad previous experiences with snapdeal, got discouraged buying online.
1) Connectivity - 3HDMI, 2USB, 1Component, 1Composite, 1VGA, 1HDMI/PC audio in, 1Digital Audio out, 1Analog(Fixed) out, RF & 1LAN port. Reads most formats via USB pendrive. Tried .avi, mkv & 3gp videos, mp3 & .wav audio, jpeg photos. TV reads MicroSD memory card via USB adaptor. Ext. HDD upto 2TB. Doesnt read Mobile Phones via USB as a mass storage, though. A mass storage app can downloaded on TV which can solve that problem, acc to the Toshiba demonstrator. No recording feature compared to LG LF6300.
2) Remote - TV comes with a normal remote & an Android/Internet remote. Android remote has a joystick which isnt easy to use for typing. Better buy a BT wireless Keyboard/mouse.
3) PQ - Decent PQ when compared with a Sony Bravia in showroom. Blacks look more black. Hasnt tried any inputs other than Composite conn from TataSky SD STB. Not great but shd be better with an HDMI cable. Has AutoView, Dynamic, Standard, Theatre Picture modes with Bollywood, Game, Cinema, Cricket, Anime Picture Optimisers. Cudnt make out any diff between the optimisers though. Refresh Rate 200Hz which is way better than LG's 60Hz.
4) SQ- Good. Has an Audio filter for Noise Reduction. Dolby Digital Decoder present. People complain abt the speakers of LED TVs not being loud enough but I found this loud for my house.
5) Smart Features - Has a Full Web Browser of the Android 4.4 Kitkat OS. I cud stream cricket highlights videos from mycrickethighlights.com. Youtube app inbuilt, works well. Has 4GB internal memory but only ~2GB there for ur use. I hav downloaded apps like Bookmyshow, paytm, 9apps, Tubemate which all work smoothly depending on net speed. Media Player could hav been better which has no function to jump to a particular position of a playing video. Only fast-forward, pause, play & next/prev video options available in media player. Will hav to download MX Player to solve that problem. Google Play app inbuilt. Screen mirroring not checked.

Regarding "which has no function to jump to a particular position of a playing video" you can jump from one chapter to any chapter as you require by pressing the chapter no. on your remote. Notice the no. of chapters when the movie starts. Screen mirroring work with some mobiles not all like samsung & yureka.
No doubt a very good TV which you will not repent later. Go for it

I was looking around for a 40-43" TV in the second hand market when I chanced on this ad for a 55" Toshiba smart TV running Android. The buyer had bought it around 10 months back and was looking to upgrade to a 3D TV. I was initially circumspect but since his house was very close to my office decided to take a look at the TV.

I watched it from around 8-9' which is the viewing distance in my hall and it didn't appear too big. So, I decided to buy it as he offered a very good deal (~35K which was around 50% of his buying price). I figured even if the smart tv features were not up to scratch, the picture quality was good enough for me to use as a regular TV.

My impressions after having it for a few days

- Picture Quality is excellent especially when watching from straight on. Side viewing angles are good but I do see a shift in the colours when viewed from angles of > 45
- Sound is pretty decent, not going to ever compare to a hi fi but our regular watching purposes it is good enough
- It has good connectivity options, 3 HDMI, 2 USB and a whole host of analog ports that I am never going to explore
- The TV is ridiculously light and build quality is extremely flimsy. I could not believe the weight of the stand (too light) and feel that it will not be very stable. I plan to wall mount it soon
- Coming to the smart features, I was quite disappointed initially. It probably had to do with the smart remote (again both remotes are too light and feel flimsy) which has a track button which works ok but scrolling is extremely cludgy. However, once I connected my wireless mouse it is a lot better
= The experience is still not top class. The CPU is slow and it has a huge constraint of memory. There is hardly any free space and I dont know if it allows apps to be installed to the USB drive. I also heard it doesn't support paid apps
- I really think I will use the smart features more as a stop gap and rely on my apple tv and chromebit for any truly smart functions

I'll post more of my ownership experiences as I use it more. In the meantime , if you have any questions, do let me know

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back