Toshiba's XDE DVD Player

Recently saw that Toshiba has launched the XDE DVD player which claims to convert existing DVD's to HD clarity. Not sure how true this is or just a marketing gimmick after their debicale with HD DVD....

TOSHIBA XDE TECHNOLOGY -- XD-E500 dvd player 1080p upconverting dvd player upconvert your dvds with xde technology

Spiderman

This is a classic case where they are marketing something many other DVD players are already doing it except the 24 fps refresh rate. These other players do it for 1/3 the cost in some cases. Also if your TV is unable to display at the 24 fps rate, then its not of much use.

A simple search on this forum will bring up tons of upconvering 1080P players.

Repackaged old crap and to add insult to injury no USB input. Go figure.

Feb. 26, 2009

Is the Toshiba XD-E500 available in India. Alternatively is there any other upscaling player available in India?

P.N.Reddy

Curretly almost all DVDP manufacturers have thrown upscaling into all of their players...Take a look at Pio 610...quite a decent one..

Curretly almost all DVDP manufacturers have thrown upscaling into all of their players...Take a look at Pio 610...quite a decent one..

Yes, you are right, but the mantra of the Toshiba player is the XDE mode, particularly the sharpness. Of course, there are a lot of people who don't like the artificially sharp edges. And there are others who like this very look.

I have an older Philips player which is almost 2 years old, it has USB 2.0, upscaling, and at works, but it is a crappy player when it comes to picture quality and so my current hunt (is still on).

I am also tempted to pause (for a year) and wait for BD player prices to come down and stabilize, but then one has to remember that it is still early days for BR discs and there will be problems of really slow players at pretty steep prices. Remember the first batch of top-loading VCRs anyone?

With the Pio 610, can any user comment on its performance vis-a-vis entry players from Philips, LG (upscalers)?

With the Pio 610, can any user comment on its performance vis-a-vis entry players from Philips, LG (upscalers)?

John, I have used three brands over the last 15 odd years. About 12 years ago I purchased a Philips DVD Player from Dubai and used it for about 12 odd years. It was connected to CRT and would deliver reasonable results. Those days I never bothered about picture quality, and would be happy if the DVD played. Many times, the Philips would just spew the DVD out.

I started using Pioneer DVD Playesr about 5 years ago. I have three 'generations' of Pioneer players with me - the 585, the 696, and now the 610. All three have given me excellent service, leading me to believe that Pioneer makes the best budget players in the world. The only other company that used to make make comparable was Panasonic. Their model - the S-92 - was stuff of legends. Unfortunately I could never get one.

I have the Oppo 983 and the Pioneer 610 connected to my AVR. I use the Pioneer more than the Oppo. For most good quality DVDs, there is very little difference in picture and movie sound quality. Of course, the Oppo will thrash the Pioneer when it comes to music, deep colours, intense action and such. But for everyday use on a 720P screen, the Pioneer delivers excellent results.

When you throw in a bad DVD, I have seen the Pioneer spew it out faster. The Oppo takes a long time, and many times just goes into a loop. I think the Oppo has been designed to be used only with good quality DVDs. The Pioneer, on the other hand, seems to have been designed to play literally any disk you throw at it.

Cheers

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back