What to Buy

vganapathy1000

Hello

i have Samsung P-490 DVD player with 5.1 ch analog output connected to Philips SP 055 -Speaker system.(P-490 's video output is progressive scan 576p).

Recently i bought Samsung 5 Series 32 Inch LCD TV with Full HD, 1080p display and hooked up to the P-490 DVD Player through Component Cables as there is no HDMI connection in the DVD Player.. i am enjoying it .ok.

Now i am in a doubt, whether the TV is upscaling to 1080p and displays the video or NOT. i donot know how to verify this. Presuming that there is no upscaling by TV , will the purchase and hooking up of upscaling DVD Player with HDMI output , help in getting the HD output from the DVD being played.
(The anticipated expenditure is INR 4000)
OR should i go for the purchase of Blu-ray player (with 5.1 Ch analog audio output), as i was told, the Blu-ray player inherently upscales all the DVDs to 1080p.( The expenditure will be INR 10000.)so that i can enjoy the Blu-ray titles with HD audio formats.

Please educate me.
ganapathy

You can buy an upscaling DVD player with HDMI. You will then enjoy upscaled DVDs. Remember this doesnt mean that they become HD, you will get only a slight increase in quality. Locally available around 2-3k
But your problem is your home theatre. You will have to shell out more to buy a DVD player with HDMI & 5.1 analogue out, assuming you dont have digital in on your philips.
Even a basic bluray would cost 8-9k, but it wont have 5.1 out,only HDMI and optical/coaxial.For the 5.1 out you will need to go beyond 15-20k. You may be better off changing to a good low cost system like Onkyo 3400

Your TV is a digital tv with 1080p panel. It can show ONLY one resolution - that is 1080p, no matter what resolution you are feeding to it.
If you feed any resolution other than 1080p, it is upscaled by the TV. Recent models of the tvs have very good upscaling. I am doubtful whether you will notice any improvement by changing the dvd player at 32" screen, unless you seat 3 ft away.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back