Tripath or Class-T amps?

asliarun

All,

I'm a newbie in this forum (and to high fidelity audio), and am beginning my research on my target stereo system. While researching budget amps, I came across an astonishing (in terms of price) review of the Sonic Impact T-Amp, which is based on the Tripath Class-T amplifier. Can anyone please provide some information about this new technology? Are there any good amps available in India that use this technology? It seems to provide really good value for money.

Thanks in advance,
Arun

None of these are available in INdia. although Sonic Impact is out. you can look at Trend audio, Kingrex and POpPUlse (just google)
issues
1. YOu need to get them imported into India
2. while the cost is very low and sound much better than the entry level int amps their life is a flip of a coin. i had a sonic impact for 18months after which it blew a channel. being IC based there is nothing you can do whle traditional amps last ages and can eb repaired
3. you will need to invest in a good Power supply to get the best out and that is about as expensive as the amp itself !
4. Except for the pop pulse they give only around 6-9W of undistorted power into 8 ohms..or 12-17 into 4 ohms. so you need to match speaker sensitivity accordingly.

I had a Dr.Amp from Korea which is based on Tripath chip. The sound is very good for the price. But, thats about it. There is a sense a very good clarity to the sound, but somehow it was a bit lifeless. But for a desktop system I would recommend them for sure.
The biggest problem is the sensitivity. I tried my amp with a Paradigm Atom and it was very good and had a decent volume. With Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 it clipped pretty soon. so, you need something like 90db and above to have some decent volume. For the first time connected it had the wow factor for the size and price. But slowly the connectivity and convenience and the low wattage output caused me to go away from them.
Getting Pop pulse might not be that tough, PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Gopi, i have used the Sonic impact on a 4Ohms 88db speaker to ear splitting volumes at the 11-o-clock position. wharfedales need more power than their sensitivity suggests. any of the klipsh models or Monitor audio are good speakers at 8Ohms. else one needs an easy 4 ohms speaker lik the JMR line (I used the twinsMk3).

How does one get a Pop Pulse ? i am thinking on those lines for my computer...

thats interesting to note you could achieve such volumes. Careful matching is needed when it comes to speakers as we both agree.
Regarding Pop Pulse or Trends etc are available in Singapore and I know somebody who can get that for you at a decent rate.

Thanks for your help! I would definitely want a much more reliable amp. I am now considering Lithos Noa1 speaker (70W @ 6 ohms) and subwoofer set, along with Norge 2060 (80W). I have several newbie questions that I will post in another thread. Thanks once again for your prompt responses!

Edit: I have posted my follow-up questions in a new thread in the speakers section. I created a new thread as my questions were more generic in nature (am trying to build a system) and I thought that it would be off-topic in this thread. I would be very greatful if someone could help me out with those as well.

Last edited:
If you are going down the class T amps, check out the Winsome Mouse from Winsome Labs. I do not have it; but was close to ordering it direct from them.
PbR

This is only my suggestion...If you have an option, go with a class A amp as you are just starting out on the journey of separates. Even a decent stereo power amp should last you for a long time with a decent AVR. You could connect the front L/R to the amp and the C/SL/SR to the AVR. You will get way better soundstage for even a 50 or higher watts amp.

Thanks for your help! I would definitely want a much more reliable amp. I am now considering Lithos Noa1 speaker (70W @ 6 ohms) and subwoofer set, along with Norge 2060 (80W). I have several newbie questions that I will post in another thread. Thanks once again for your prompt responses!

Edit: I have posted my follow-up questions in a new thread in the speakers section. I created a new thread as my questions were more generic in nature (am trying to build a system) and I thought that it would be off-topic in this thread. I would be very greatful if someone could help me out with those as well.

Hi Arun

I saw your other post that you are jus starting out. I recommended an AVR on taht post. Use the amplifier an option ONLY if you want more power and loudness than the AVR (you should not but you never know). Obviously this option is more expensive but it will definitely enhance your listening experience....So bottom line this is option 2 for you.

I picked up one on ebay India (eBay India: Class D Digital Amplifier 2 x 150W PMPO+Power supply (item 280377259810 end time 30-Jul-2009 13:06:34 IST)). The person selling it seems to put them together himself.

The soundstage is really impressive on this thing. Worked very well in my bedroom system with a pair of Yamaha towers. Plan to try it on a pair of single driver bookshelves next and also compare it to the miniwatt/APPJ tube amp on those

The amp seems like a good deal but I am not sure whether they will work well with low sensitivity speakers.
The specs are also slightly misleading as this amplifier can possibly never give out more than 48 Watts (Should me more like 40 watts rms max) as the power supply adapter is rated as 12 volts with 4 ampere max current.

Comparing it miniwatt/APPJ tube amps seems like a excellent idea. Please tell us all your opinion soon.:)

Anyways is it safe to buy stuff on EBAY?

the seller seems to have converted the rating to the standard sales spiel of PMPO. I'd emailed him to check on the actual chip used as well as the other components before buying.

I've generally found ebay to be safe. Their feedback system is excellent.

the seller seems to have converted the rating to the standard sales spiel of PMPO. I'd emailed him to check on the actual chip used as well as the other components before buying.

I've generally found ebay to be safe. Their feedback system is excellent.

Did you find out what chip was being used? If you can share details that he shared with you - would be appreciated!

The one I bought was better built - proper binding posts, metal casing and rca inputs. It was from the same seller though.

With my Fostex 167e based bookshelves, the T-Amp sounds significantly better than my tube amp. It has better dynamics and a significantly better soundstage. Transparency seems a bit better but I'm not too sure. I use it in my bedroom system and its unobtrusive form makes it quite well suited for that. I've tried it with regular speakers as well. It does an ok job with the Cambridge S30 speakers (dynamics a bit weaker, soundstage intact) but cant do room filling sound with those even in the small bedroom without getting into distortion territory. With the Dynaudio Audience 52 and the Mordaunt Short 908, its a complete writeoff.

how much did you pay for that one?

The one I bought was better built - proper binding posts, metal casing and rca inputs. It was from the same seller though.

With my Fostex 167e based bookshelves, the T-Amp sounds significantly better than my tube amp. It has better dynamics and a significantly better soundstage. Transparency seems a bit better but I'm not too sure. I use it in my bedroom system and its unobtrusive form makes it quite well suited for that. I've tried it with regular speakers as well. It does an ok job with the Cambridge S30 speakers (dynamics a bit weaker, soundstage intact) but cant do room filling sound with those even in the small bedroom without getting into distortion territory. With the Dynaudio Audience 52 and the Mordaunt Short 908, its a complete writeoff.

Your tube-amp is the miniwatt right? That sounds like an excellent testament to this amp, if it costs 3000 bucks and outperforms the miniwattt!

With my Fostex 167e based bookshelves, the T-Amp sounds significantly better than my tube amp. It has better dynamics and a significantly better soundstage. Transparency seems a bit better but I'm not too sure.

I have an OEM version of the Miniwatt (branded APPJ). The World's Smallest Integrated Tube Amplifiers APPJ - eBay (item 170417663234 end time Jan-07-10 03:19:35 PST)

My particular bookshelves are stuffed with cotton, possibly reducing their real-world efficiency. The acid test will be to try out the two on a pair of Lyrita speakers. My sense is the T-Amp will hold its own against the Miniwatt but is unlikely to match the Lyrita amps (I heard them on a trip to Delhi last month). However, its impossible to tell without actually trying out head to head. I'll try and carry the T-amp along on my next Delhi trip.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back