TROUBLESHOOTING QUERY: My Klipsch promedia is not powering on after a three-day power-off

k-pad

Hi all,
First of all, am wondering why there is no troubleshooting section on the home page :) (wink, wink, mods)

So, I was away for a few days and I shut off everything.
When i returned home and started things, everything worked but for my active Klipsch desktops.
1. Any steps to get them going would be much appreciated.
2. If they are indeed totalled, I'd want to first try and fix them. So, any help towards that direction would also be very helpful.

Main reasons being two: 1. They were a gift from the better half, and 2. I really had come to like their sound over the last couple of years, while being able to live with their flaws.

(No 'that sounds like life itself' snark here please :p)

Thanks and regards

Did you check if they have a fuse and if they do is it blown or not

not opened it yet. will have to check
Can you post the photo of the back side, especially the region around the power switch at the back. Some of these have the fuse located there. You don't have to open the sub unit. The fuse is replaceable from the outside. The confusing thing is that I find so many models if i do google search for Klipsch promedia I get many models. Some with fuse and some without fuse. In this model, the fuse is to the left below of the power switch. One has to insert a screw driver and turn it anti-clockwise to remove the fuse.

This is one such model where fuse is outside. There is another model with two fuses inside. Posting the image below this image

Untitled.jpg

This is another model with two fuses inside. You can see the two glass cartridge fuses here

1667649727142.png

Last edited:
Can you post the photo of the back side, especially the region around the power switch at the back. Some of these have the fuse located there. You don't have to open the sub unit. The fuse is replaceable from the outside. The confusing thing is that I find so many models if i do google search for Klipsch promedia I get many models. Some with fuse and some without fuse. In this model, the fuse is to the left below of the power switch. One has to insert a screw driver and turn it anti-clockwise to remove the fuse.

This is one such model where fuse is outside. There is another model with two fuses inside. Posting the image below this image

View attachment 73007

This is another model with two fuses inside. You can see the two glass cartridge fuses here

View attachment 73008
Thank you so much MB bhai!
You are right, it is one of their longest running series. Many iterations.

Am now cursing myself for shutting off everything during diwali travels. :(

Posting my back plate pic. Unfortunately, looks like I need to open it and check the fuse inside. (I find the sheer number of screws daunting :( Anyway, will have to open it soon)

One thing i need to mention: After not starting at all, in the middle of some work on second day of starting everything, the damn thing did come back and played for 15 minutes before conking off again. Hope it is just a fuse and not anything else

Regards

Attachments

• promedia back plate.jpg
    promedia back plate.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 21
Posting my back plate pic. Unfortunately, looks like I need to open it and check the fuse inside. (I find the sheer number of screws daunting :( Anyway, will have to open it soon)

One thing i need to mention: After not starting at all, in the middle of some work on second day of starting everything, the damn thing did come back and played for 15 minutes before conking off again. Hope it is just a fuse and not anything else
The symptom that you are describing, this cannot be the fuse. Is this under warranty? Don't open it if it is. Power it on and hit it on the top with the palm of your hand and see if it comes up.

From what I have heard is that there is bad soldering joints on the amp board. Most probably bad solder was used. Not sure about Mumbai, but Pune has got chilly late night after Diwali. Due to contraction the bad soldering joints give away. First let me know if this is under warranty and if you by chance know soldering?

Last edited:
The symptom that you are describing, this cannot be the fuse. Is this under warranty? Don't open it if it is. Power it on and hit it on the top with the palm of your hand and see if it comes up.

From what I have heard is that there is bad soldering joints on the amp board. Most probably bad solder was used. Not sure about Mumbai, but Pune has got chilly late night after Diwali. Due to contraction the bad soldering joints give away. First let me know if this is under warranty and if you by chance know soldering?
Haha, that's very my kind of solutions, sir. This is gonna be fun.

Those nights were indeed cold. And I have written to Klipsch. Expecting a response by early week since it was a weekend.
Incidentally, I am learning soldering, so while I may not have all the skills, the person who is teaching me is a pro. So, can work on it if the manufacturer gives up on me.

For starters, am thinking I will disconnect and leave things be overnight or a day or two, and then connect back again and try rebooting the computer and speaker system again. Works?

This caught my eye today. You just need to open 8 srews on the edges/border to remove the back plate. Also from your backplate I can see that your model is Klipsch Promedia 2.1 BT and not Klipsch Promedia. Makes a huge difference when doing google search

Makes a huge difference when doing google search
Apologies, my bad. Didn't know there were so many iterations of this model.
So, today I opened the back plate, but unfortunately couldn't locate the fuse. Just ensured all connections are tight and checked if nothing is damaged, and put it all back together and powered them up, and voila, they came alive! :D

I guess it was some version of your "hit the top with the palm" solution.

Thanks much, MB bhai.

Found another big bug!
I live in an apartment.
This speaker is visible to anyone close by on bluetooth.
If someone connects to it on bluetooth, my aux connection goes off!
Now, am thinking, it should atleast played their bloody music, right? That is not happening.
Becoming a big pain now :(

Maybe a very late query ..is this powering on ? eg does it play via bluetooth . If it is visible as a bluetooth but not playing then it is the amplifier circuit which is the issue and will need someone who knows his/her stuff to look in and the reason would be what @mbhangui has mentioned.

I am assuming you have already checked the speaker cables/connections to rule them out.

Hi Sir,
So, last week, I just let it be. And here are some of the things I noticed.
Maybe a very late query ..is this powering on ?
Yes, it powers on.
eg does it play via bluetooth .
The bluetooth light comes on at first, but the speakers are not getting discovered by any nearby device.
If it is visible as a bluetooth but not playing then it is the amplifier circuit which is the issue and will need someone who knows his/her stuff to look in and the reason would be what @mbhangui has mentioned.
The next thing I tried is to toggle it to the wired connection.
I am assuming you have already checked the speaker cables/connections to rule them out.
Yes, did. connections are fine.

Once the speakers were toggled to the wired connection it plays via the jack.

The problem early in the week was that it kept toggling back to bluetooth, only for the above steps to be repeated to get it playing again.
Looks like a small bug in the Bluetooth-wired source switching.

Working fine for now. Expect to encounter this issue when I reboot the computer next :(
But for now, can live with it.
Thanks and regards

If this thread doesn't help, that board is another place to post. I've not taken time to deep-dive on this, but a few of their engineers occasionally participate there and the userbase can be pretty solid for their products sometimes. We feel your pain.

Hi all,
Is there any reliable speaker repair shop in Bombay where I can take them for an inspection to diagnose the problem?
Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back