Tube amp suggestion

soundbuff

Hi Folks,
Any thoughts on a well made, medium powered (60-65 watt) push-pull tube amp in class AB, at the price level of the Conrad Johnson Classic 60 (US Amazon at $2750) or about that, and sold in India at some reasonable margin. Looking for power amps not integrated. Origin of manufacture is not critical, but build quality and service support is!

Suggestions for exploration: Just curious?

ARN Systems of Bangalore deal in some tube amps. Possibly they may be able to help.
Connect with Sridhar, who is also on the forum, for good and genuine advice.

Hi HK and NL,
Thanks ever so much for your suggestions.

The two options you mention are known to me. AFAIK Lyrita does not produce a push-pull amp any more. I did actually own a EL34 based 12 watt push pull amp made by Lyrita some 15 years ago.

ARN systems does have a couple that I am in the know of. However both are integrated, not power amps. One is the Ayon 60 watt integrated using KT something tubes, running in class A not class AB. I heard the older model some four years ago, very nice and punchy. The other amp is an LM Audio 100 watt integrated, which also I listened to recently, quite extensively and really enjoyed.

Regrettably I have never heard Conrad Johnson gear, I only know that its very well regarded. If there are owners on the forum their experiences would be valuable.

To be honest, a sixty watt push pull power amp, in class AB is about as mainstream or standard fare as you can get once you cross the entry level Denons, Marnatz's NAD's etc. My purpose really is to explore and get to know about peoples experiences and thoughts keeping within the parameters. Thus no SET amps, no low powered push-pull amps (<25-30 Watts), preferably CLass AB as it is the least hassley, and of course no SS. Just a good honest 'Bantamweight' of an amplifier.

Dynaco ST70 anyone!::)

Thanks
It is really so very nice of you to get back with all these options. The analog audio information is quite new to me. While I will surely check out on the CJ, it would be nice to hear from someone who has had the CJ long term.

Thanks

I am enjoying the CJ ET3 pre and LP125SA power amp with Harbeth SHL5 for years now. Very enjoyable sound for hours of listening any given day. I have heard CJ classic 60 many times at Absolute Phase and is also really good.

Since you seem to be familiar with CJ would suggest to audition the same.

GM,
The two models you have are I think higher up than the MV 60 or the Classic 60. Its very good that they can be listened to for ling periods without fatigue. Unfortunately I have never heard CJ in all these years, nor for that matter have I heard Audio Research which also has an amp in this range. Certainly I will try to get an audition.

Thanks

Super!,
The Dared is however a SET not a PP, but still putting out 30 watts, which is pretty close to medium power. I will follow it up for reviews, which it seems are aplenty.
There is also a push pull 50 watt pp at Analog Audio which is very reasonably priced.

There is I learnt yesterday, also the Manley Stingray and Mahi monoblocks, which are EL 84 based push pull units, putting out between 30 to 40 watts available from BassnTreble in Delhi.

More options please. A roll call of amps available in India within these parameters would surely be valuable.
Thanks

Hi,
Canasya is hybrid if I remember correctly. Which would take the options in a different direction. I used to have a hybrid from Audio Analogue, which although a much more modest affair than the Canasys, was putting out 100 watt SS and had a tube line stage. So also a good tube pre and a SS power amp would also be a combo along the same concept. However, I am not sure if I want to go that way. An all tube set up push pull would be my first choice.
Thanks for the suggestion all the same.

I've owned Cayin PP based on EL34s and the Dared 845. 35 watts of SET bliss was far superior than the PPs; Though I bought it blind on Byju's recommendation, I was glad when I heard it. I sometimes regret selling it. You can safely invest in the Dared 845 roadblocks. You won't regret.

AFAIK Canasya monoblocks are pure tube fare using 4 nos of 845 tubes.

Last edited:
True, SET amps are said to have a tonal quality that PP's do not possess. The only SET I have heard extensively was an Ayon 6c33 Spark, and found it to have rich and textured tonal palette. Have also heard lyrita 2A3 but very briefly, and liked that too.

In the long run however I have found lack of power to be a limiting factor, both for listening at low levels without too much loss of information or listening a bit loudly without hardening. The 845 is no doubt a more powerful triode, but still its just 30 odd watts.

In the past I have ended up going for SS after a spell with a low powered tube, and then again found that unsatisfying for other reasons. I clearly prefer tubes, but have never had a powerful tube on a long term. Which is why I am trying to put together a list of amps in the market.

As of now I have a set up which I am quite happy with, comprising a tube output CD player, a 15 watt push pull EL 84 based amp and 91 db floor standing horns. My original idea was to explore SET options. However, I increasingly feel that a more powerful tube amp would be the best upgrade; someday, eventually, perhaps...!

BTW, the data on the Canasya is from the website, its listed as hybrid.

Canasya is a hybrid but it's a very very good amp. Will easily outclass the CJ you are looking at. The 845 is very different sounding from a 2A3 SET. I have had both in my systems. The 845 SET lacks the purity of a 2A3 SET. Also it's a bit noisier than a 2A3. I have had the Dehavilland 845 monoblocs and a highly modded Lyrita 2A3.

Last edited:
Ah soundbuff,

Could those floor standing horns be the Blumenhofer Big Fun 17s? For horns, the sensitivity seems low at 91 dB. The Leben 300 having trouble driving them, what?

Regards,
Viren

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back