Tube Buffer Preamplifier

shipping cost is as much as enclosure.

Shipping cost is also a major deterrent for heavier/bulkier items like speaker drivers, subwoofers, and the like.

Will be lower if a lot of us buy together or if we take a different route than airmail.

Fully agree with Audiodoc. Along with the B1 buffer pre, we can also start a group buy for the cabinets and ask the seller to ship via sea freight which would be significantly cheaper. In addition to the pre-amp, there would be space for the LDR as well as the phono stage. Transformer if cannot fit in can be located in an industrial looking cabinet which can be hidden away.

That's the way to go captain. You have been the torch bearer of group buys. Do see the other enclosures too. They also are good for the price.

That's the way to go captain. You have been the torch bearer of group buys. Do see the other enclosures too. They also are good for the price.

Sure Audiodoc. I had dabbled with DIY amp building a while ago having bought a Class D Audio Stereo Power Amp and Linuxguru's Myref power amp. The biggest challenge was to source a cabinet. Either they are pathetic looking stuff available in places like Richie Street of Chennai, Lajpat Market of Delhi or Lamington Road of Mumbai. Other way to go is custom make the cabinets which though is of high quality is not only very expensive but is also industrial looking.

The cabinets discovered by you have a touch of class. Now we DIYers can aspire to make good looking and good sounding amps and other components at a reasonable cost.

My hobby in DIY in 1998 started with efy magazine and I used to order all my components from Mount Road Chennai. Though I used to make good cabinets with wood and plyboard they have two main deficiencies:

1. It is a bad conductor of heat so the inner temperatures can rise drastically.
2. It does not help much in shielding from stray electric / magnetic fields thats why metal esp. aluminum alloys are the best.

I agree with captain that if you have put a lot of effort in making a good circuit it deserves a good enclosure to give you a peace of mind even if it may cost a bit.

I have read about a guy in India who was planning to give quality enclosures made of stainless steel. Will search his mail id and post the same.

Found his id:

[email protected]

and the site:

http://www.audesine.com/

Last edited:
My hobby in DIY in 1998 started with efy magazine and I used to order all my components from Mount Road Chennai. Though I used to make good cabinets with wood and plyboard they have two main deficiencies:

1. It is a bad conductor of heat so the inner temperatures can rise drastically.
2. It does not help much in shielding from stray electric / magnetic fields thats why metal esp. aluminum alloys are the best.

I agree with captain that if you have put a lot of effort in making a good circuit it deserves a good enclosure to give you a peace of mind even if it may cost a bit.

I have read about a guy in India who was planning to give quality enclosures made of stainless steel. Will search his mail id and post the same.

Found his id:

[email protected]

and the site:

Welcome to Audesine

This is great news. The company is located in Bangalore. We could approach him with group by and see how it works out.

Great find. His pricing seems to be very good for the front panels

Pricing
Here is our introductory pricing. Note that the pricing includes any number of holes or cutouts.
?Setup fee: No setup fee!
?US$ 0.75 per square inch upto 10 square inches; US$ 0.5 per square inch thereafter
?Minimum quantity: One
?Shipping: worldwide for US$ 10 by registered airmail (trackable, about 10 business days to most places). Speedier options available

Pricing Examples

?2x5 inches (10 sq inches): US$ 7.50 + shipping
?3Ux24HP (25 sq inches): US$ 15 + shipping

I myself was really excited but you can have a hands on experience to what is on sale. Believe me laser marked front / back panels would be great. then we just need good quality black colored heat sinks and perforated top and bottom panels. I am always in for buying good enclosures.

Finally tested my buffer preamplifier. Its been a revelation in itself. The setup:

Input flac>FiiOE7 lineout>tube buffer pre>Modded Norge 1000

Compared to

FiiOE7 lineout>OPA627 Pre>Modded Norge 1000

Compared to

FiiOE7 lineout>OPA2134 Modded Norge pre>Modded Norge 1000

Putting it briefly the tube sound is slightly warm, good tight bass very musical. I don't believe that I am hearing from the same Norge 1000. The change is so perceptible that anyone can pick up on blind testing. Live recordings sound so lively. Will check after some burn in. I have already been happy with my hybrid headphone amplifier and now I am really happy of my hybrid Norge 1000.

On the opposite side the 627 and 2134 preamp are quite analytical with better resolution and very good for large orchestral pieces.

here is the schematic, though of bad quality:

f8d9c918_TubeBuffer.jpeg

Last edited:
Many a times,tube pre dont match,SS pre can also do very good job, for solid state pre also try with TLE 2142 opamp(via element 14 just Rs168), AD845KN

Finally tested my buffer preamplifier. Its been a revelation in itself. The setup:

Input flac>FiiOE7 lineout>tube buffer pre>Modded Norge 1000

Compared to

FiiOE7 lineout>OPA627 Pre>Modded Norge 1000

Compared to

FiiOE7 lineout>OPA2134 Modded Norge pre>Modded Norge 1000

Putting it briefly the tube sound is slightly warm, good tight bass very musical. I don't believe that I am hearing from the same Norge 1000. The change is so perceptible that anyone can pick up on blind testing. Live recordings sound so lively. Will check after some burn in. I have already been happy with my hybrid headphone amplifier and now I am really happy of my hybrid Norge 1000.

On the opposite side the 627 and 2134 preamp are quite analytical with better resolution and very good for large orchestral pieces.

Hi,

It was very interesting to read your first impressions of your tube pre amplifier DIY project vis a vis other set ups. It would be interesting to see it from a value for money perspective. What is the total cost and how does it compare with other tube pre amps? Would you advise other HFVians who may be interested to take up this project?

Regards.

Many a times,tube pre dont match,SS pre can also do very good job, for solid state pre also try with TLE 2142 opamp(via element 14 just Rs168), AD845KN

Hi Kaushik,

Your comments are rather terse. ... tube pre don't match ... what?

I am looking for a pre to match my Quad power amplifier, in place of a Leak valve pre amp which is under repairs. I have been suggested a NAD Studio Series 1000 solid state pre but it is rather expensive and may not suit. What do you suggest?

Regards.

Hi Kaushik,

Your comments are rather terse. ... tube pre don't match ... what?

I am looking for a pre to match my Quad power amplifier, in place of a Leak valve pre amp which is under repairs. I have been suggested a NAD Studio Series 1000 solid state pre but it is rather expensive and may not suit. What do you suggest?

Regards.

Try the Pass B1 group Buy on HFV. Its DIY though :)

--G0bble

Hi Gobble,

The list of actual purchasers of the Pass B1 seems to have been finalised according to Sachu's post. Is it still possible to join in? How much is the cost of the kit? The extras needed to complete the project?

Regards.
Yes, it has been finalized and to my knowledge Sachin ordered 12 PCBs for fabrication. But if more people join in then next batch can be considered.

It costing approx 2.5K-3K for PASS B1 + LDR Volume control and another PS kit within additional 1K (Approx, max, actual will be less).

The tube preamplifier is basically a buffer circuit with unity gain so it would not help if your amp is not up to the mark or your source output is very low. The basic achievement of the circuit is to infuse the mellowness of tube sound for those who love in a pure solid state line up. Well am into the group buy into the pass pre wanna use it with my nelson pass 5 amp.

The tube preamplifier is basically a buffer circuit with unity gain so it would not help if your amp is not up to the mark or your source output is very low. The basic achievement of the circuit is to infuse the mellowness of tube sound for those who love in a pure solid state line up. Well am into the group buy into the pass pre wanna use it with my nelson pass 5 amp.

If my understanding is correct, an average CDP has 2V as output and an average amp has a 28dB gain. These should work well with B1 IMO

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back